Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hello from Custer County!

Posted by HarvestTime 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 10:10

Hello all =)

I've been lurking for some time but I figured it's best to register so here I am. My name is Michael, I live in Custer County, OK....a transplant from the left coast. Lived here for a little over 3 years. I love it here =)

I've been gardening for a little over 20 years and was spoiled with great fertile soil and excellent weather but now I'm here in Oklahoma LOL but I consider it a fun challenge and am looking forward to a (good or bad) great gardening season this year.

My main gardening interests are maters! I managed some Giant Belgium, Cherokee Purple, Black Krim and Better Boys last year but it wasnt great. I enjoy snap peas, cukes and pumpkins as well.

This year, I feel i'm a little late starting my seeds but will be doing so within the week, here's my list:

Brandywine Sudduth (fingers crosses LOL)
Black Krim
Black from Tula
Black Cherry
Sun Gold
Giant Belgium
Cherokee Purple
Cherokee Chocolate
Better Boy
Sioux
Early Girl

I'd like to thank everyone here in the OK forum for all the wonderful ideas, and help you've provided me in my "lurking", notably Okiedawn but you all have made things easier for me and my plans and gardening future!

Michael

This post was edited by HarvestTime on Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 11:12

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hello from Custer County!

Welcome, Michael!

o

Hi Michael,

Welcome to the forum. Thank you for your kind words. Surely, by now, you can see that my main job is to be a tomato grower's enabler. You have a nice grow list, by the way.

Custer County. Wow. It is hot and dry there. I suppose you noticed that by now, huh?

Custer County probably does not have the same sort of great soil that you had on the left coast, but it really does have soil that is great for agriculture. Now, if only we could figure out a way to get a little more rain to fall there in the summertime.

Gardening here is always a challenge, and the challenges fluctuate almost as much as our weather. Life is never dull here, and neither is gardening. I love living in Oklahoma, even though I find it harder to garden successfully here than in Texas, where I was born and grew up.

I'm so happy you decided to stop lurking and start posting so that we have a chance to get to know you too.

Dawn

o

Hi Dawn. Yes its very hot and dry here. Makes it difficult to get those maters fruiting before the heatwaves hit especially this year as IMO as since I havent started my mater seeds yet, Im late.

My soil isnt too bad, its not too clayey (is that a word?), tills up nice and amended well I dont think I will have too many problems for coming years. Every year gets better. Can't say too much good things about the early summers tho.

Hey I think I remembered a post you had about Old Timey Pumpkins and pretty much planted only those due to SVG is that correct? If memory serves me it was because it took a few years for SVGs to find you. So far they haven't found me and I had Big Doris last year do well (Johnnys). Once they do find me am I going to be looking at Old Timey only?

Thanks =)

o

Howdy Michael. That's an impressive line up! I'm wanting to try a few of those varieties when I have room.

bon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here