Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who is this?

Posted by sammy OK/7A (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 19, 12 at 11:16

Could someone tell me who this is, and what to do with it now? The first picture is of a small one. The second picture is what has happened to the large ones.

I don't know if I should cut them back or take them out and cut the roots.

THanks,
Sammy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who is this?

Could it be artemisia? Is there is smell to the foliage?

Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Artemisia

o

Yes, that is exactly what it is. The plant has a refreshing scent. Can you tell me how to care for it?

Thanks,
Sammy

o

Want the best performance out of artemesia? Deprive it of water, fertilizer and generally any attention at all. Want more? Take a cutting and stick it in dirt where nothing else would root. It will.

It does not like humidity.

o

Seedmama is correct. I kill them. A friend of mine who pays zero, zip, zilch attention, had them for three years until she took them out because they grew.

Go figure. :)

Lisa

o

On the positive side, George (macmex) says that while he was in Mexico he always kept one growing as a stomach treatment. I believe he said it was helpful for diarrhea. I hope he will be along to tell you more.

I have a much more weedy variety which I confine to a pot because it spreads by root runners. If I had that leggy one, I think I would cut it back and let it bush back out.

o

When watering, be sure not to spray any on the foliage. Just water ground. Water on the foliage will cause what is in your picture.

o

Looks like Silver Mound Artemisia, a groundcover version of artemisia. I had some at my old house, loved it. stays low and pretty mostly year round. I had another larger variety, can't recall the name right now, did great. This year it was evergreen, but some years the foliage gets too cold and I had to cut back some to get it to bush out more fully.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here