Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scardanelli

willow cuttings

scardanelli
14 years ago

Does anybody out there have any willows, preferably salix purpurea, that they would be willing to part with a few cuttings from? I want to grow some willows for a wattle fencing and woodworking project...Anyone?

-Thanks,

Matthew

Comments (9)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

Matt,

I don't have a nice willow like salix purpurea but I have plain, old ordinary willow trees....you know, the ones that pop up on creek banks and on the edges of ponds, which is precisely where mine are.

If you don't get a response from someone who has salix purpurea, and if you want ordinary old native willow cuttings, let me know and I'll be happy to send you some.

Dawn

• scardanelli
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Dawn. I found a place called bluestem nursery online. They are located in Canada and apparently one of the few people that sell willow cuttings in North America...kind of weird. I'll probably just buy some cuttings from them, but thanks for the offer. I'm getting sucked into the willow world...wattle fencing, willow sculpture, living willow structures, hurdles...it all sounds really interesting. It doesn't seem like it's caught on in America yet. It's only a matter of time before it's the next big gardening craze I think...
    -Matt

• laspasturas
    14 years ago

I was just reading about willow sculpting classes in Britain today. You can do so much with them! If we had room I'd definitely put some in. I'd love to have wattle fence all around the garden.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

Willows are terribly annoying and I hate them. They pop up wherever you have standing water, are weak wooded, and limbs crash down regularly during storms. I wouldn't have them anywhere close to a house, septic system, ornamental ponds, etc. LOL I do love the look of wattle fences and other similar projects, which is one reason we tolerate our willow trees.....so I can eventually do some of that sort of stuff myself. I'd love to plant a weeping willow on the edge of a pond, but hate to unleash another willow on our landscape. Sometimes I have willow trees sprout in my garden, undoubtedly from seed produced by the willows that pop up on the banks of the small retention pond at the NE corner of my veggie garden.

Be careful about using willow as the portion of the project that goes into the ground. I've heard of people cutting willow limbs to use as plant stakes or fence posts, and then having that somewhat fresh willow sprout and create a million headaches.

Someday I'd love to make willow bentwood outdoor furniture. Doing that is on my "one of these days" list.

Dawn

• susanlynne48
    14 years ago

Weeping willow is non-native and can get out of hand as can Black Willow, which is our native species, Salix nigra. I am growing one in a container now specifically for its wildlife value - for butterflies. It is host to many butterflies such as the Mourning Cloak, Red Spotted Purples, Viceroys, and Tiger Swallowtails.

Its wildlife value cannot be looked over, as it provides habitat for birds, fish, and aquatic insects. Its branches are extensively used to create baskets, furniture, fencing, and much more. The roots are invaluable in reducing soil erosion. Salicylic acid produced by the willow is used to make aspirin.

If you are thinking about replacing or adding a weeping willow, consider that they are non-native species, and they have weaker wood and more diseases than our native species.

That said, many new cultivars have been created for willow trees and shrubs that are probably more attractive if you are considering them for ornamental value.

Just an FYI and a few good words for our Black Willow.

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Willow

• impatience_7
    14 years ago

Susan, you say you have yours in a pot? How does that work out?

I got a contorted willow last year to put in a giant pot (for the same reasons Dawn pointed out above) and then I read that it will burst open the sturdiest pot in a couple of seasons. Please tell me it works. I just left the poor dear to languish on the patio as my large pot is one that I don't want broken.

Looking forward to meeting you all soon so I can ask questions in person!

imp

• scardanelli
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've read many of the horror stories about willow getting into to water lines and foundations and what not. From what i've researched though, if you cut back the willow every year, the roots will not get out of hand. Willow's are pretty vigorous, and can take the heavy pruning, I understand.

• susanlynne48
    14 years ago

So far, the willow in the pot is doing fine. I potted it up into about a 20 gallon pot last year, and hopefully will not have to repot til next year, at which time my plan is to root and top prune it. So it is an ongoing project. I also have a Wild Cherry in a pot (Prunus serotina) that I do the same thing with. It also has wildlife value as a host for several butterflies and moths, and eventually when it has berries, will provide food for the birds.

Susan

• briancoconut
    14 years ago

I would love several willow cuttings. I have foxtail palm seeds to trade and seedlings. email me please!!
    Brian brianx2004x@aol.com