Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shallot_gw

Planting right now

shallot
10 years ago

I'm planning my plantings and I feel like I'm behind already! I've already taken a look at the OSU planting guide to check on the recommended planting dates, but I was wondering what everyone is planting at the minute?

So, Oklahoma gardeners, what have you already planted in the ground? What seedlings have you started? I don't want to be too late but I also don't want to jump the gun!

All that's in the ground here are about 300 onions. They went in on the 15th Feb, and about 25% of them got covered over with Rubbermaids before the freezing cold weather hit. The rest were just left uncovered. The ones I covered seem fine, and the ones that were uncovered look quite sad although they are not dead yet! I watered them more yesterday and will wait and see if they recover.

My garlic is finally poking up through the ground too. The peas I planted on 15th Feb seem like they've rotted in the ground.

I haven't started any more seeds yet, but that is on the menu for tonight. I went and bought some potting mix and bathroom cups yesterday in preparation.

So what is going on in your garden/basement/wherever you do your seed starting? Am I the only one who's behind already?!

Charlotte

Comments (11)

• miraje
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I went on a planting blitz yesterday with the warm weather. I planted spinach, kale, lettuce, swiss chard, and a first round of carrots. This is my first time planting all but the carrots and lettuce, so I guess we'll see what happens.

There might still be hope for your peas. I planted mine a few weeks ago, too, and they are just starting to emerge from the ground. I thought for sure the cold snap killed them off, but apparently not. I soaked the peas and germinated them indoors before planting. If you direct sowed them outside it may take them a little longer.

• Cynthiann
    10 years ago

I've been focusing on planting all my leafy vegetables and radishes. I still need to clean and prepare the bed where my potatoes will be planted. I also wanted to get my peas and carrots planted soon. I'm hoping to get them all in by the end of the week.

For other seed starting, I have lots of tomatoes and peppers growing which were started at different times over the last month. I also planted some eggplant since they grow so slowly but only one sprouted so I need to start some more. I've also started a few herbs: basil, dill, and parsley.

Cynthia

• Garylane
    10 years ago

So far I have onions, garlic & shallots growing. plan on planting potatoes, radishes, lettuce and carrots this week and brocoli and cabbage over the weekend.
    Gary

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Charlotte, I almost always feel like I am behind, so I just try to avoid looking at the calendar so I won't know for sure that I'm behind. It works for me. The weather is so gorgeous now that it is hard to believe we were so cold just a week ago. Our soil temperatures have improved a lot in recent days too.

The only thing I've actually planted in the ground is onions. Lots and lots of onions. However, there are a few perennial vegetables and herbs that are growing on their own with no help from me (asparagus, perennial onions, comfrey, chamomile, etc.) The garlic also tolerated all the winter weather well with no protection and looks great.

I would like to say that I'll be planting like a maniac today and will have all the cool-season plants and seeds in the ground today. Ha! Not likely. With all the wind advisories and fire warnings and watches, I'll be lucky if I manage to finish the task I started yesterday, which involves moving all the finished compost from my largest, oldest pile to the garden, one wheelbarrow load at a time, in order to enrich the soil where warm-season plants will be grown. I worked at that job yesterday until paged to go to a fire. I'd like to finish it today. I have a lot more wheelbarrow loads to move. The amount of compost left to move is a pile about 18" deep, 6-8' wide and about 20' long. The beds for the cool-season crops already are ready, but I'm not going to plant anything today with the sort of killer wind speeds we're expecting. I hope to be out in the garden sowing cool-season seeds tomorrow, but it depends on when the monster winds and the cold front hit here. If they hit overnight and we are up fighting fires all night and part of tomorrow, then that will push planting to Thursday at the earliest.

However, I do hope to have most all my cool-season crops in the ground by the end of this week. It just depends on how many windy, fiery days we have. I'm in the process of hardening off cool-season transplants that have been growing indoors under lights, and today likely won't be a very good day for that because it will be too windy at times. I'm hoping to get the "hardening off" hours for today completed this morning and then get the plants moved back indoors well before the worst winds arrive, which is supposed to be fairly late today for us since we are so far south. I've lost plants to windburn before when we've had 40-55 mph winds in March or April, so I try to protect them from those sorts of winds, especially as they're hardening off.

You can dig around gently in the area where you planted the peas and see if you find sprouting peas. They might just be slow because the soil has been so cold, though it is rapidly warming up again now. If they aren't there and have indeed rotted, you probably could resow seed and get good results. I've planted peas in the ground as late as late March or earliest April and have had good harvests running from late May to late June.

I have broccoli, cabbage, lettuce, sugar snap peas and cool-season herb seedlings to put into the ground. I have seed potatoes that I might actually get planted tomorrow or the next day, along with the types of cool-season seeds normally sow directly in the soil---like carrots and radishes. I always take my time putting broccoli and cabbage transplants in the ground. They usually grow better for me if I put them in the ground a couple of weeks later than what is recommended. We tend to get so many cold nights later than we should, and the broccoli in particular doesn't care for those very cold nights, as too much exposure to cold temperatures can cause the broccoli plants to form button-sized heads instead of the big heads we want. I try to hold those plants in the greenhouse until our nights are staying consistently above about 45 degrees.

For warm-season crops, my light shelves are filled with tomato and pepper seedlings, and lots of flower and herb seedlings. Once I get the cool-season plantings finished this week, I'll move the tomato and sweet pepper plants out to the greenhouse, but will keep the hot pepper plants inside a bit longer. Hot pepper plants exposed to cold temperatures early in their lives often are less productive for the entire season than those not exposed to those cold temperatures, so I keep the hot pepper plants inside a bit longer.

By this time next week, I hope to have all the cold-season plants in the ground and most of the warm-season ones hardening off in the greenhouse. That will free up space on the light shelves indoors to start more herbs and flowers as well as some of the warm season veggies that can start going into the ground near the end of March down here, if the weather cooperates.

Dawn

• wbonesteel
    10 years ago

Looks as if everyone is on the same page. I'm going to start planting some veggies today.

The garlic is looking bedraggled after that last cold snap, but it'll come out of it. Some of the spinach that was direct sown last month is up. I'm not sure the rest will make it, tho'.

Some of the snow peas are up, but I'm not certain the rest will come up. I'll give them a few more days before I replant.

I'll get some more taters in the ground, today, and plant a few every couple of weeks until we run out of room.

Except for the mint, the perennials are still dormant, here. A few days ago, I planted two rhubarb roots in the blackberry bed. The same bed has nine ever bearing strawberries in it. Next year we'll have home grown and home made strawberry and rhubarb pie! We have hundreds of strawberries, now.

In our little garden, the more berries - canes and bushes - we get planted, the less square footage we have for veggies, but that was part of the original planning, to begin with. I do plan to stick a few watermelons in the berry beds every year, making as much use of the footage we have as is possible. (Gotta be kinda careful about over planting, tho', or nothing will produce anything at all.)

Now...where'd I put alla those seeds...

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

I have garlic and winter onions planted 10-17-13, 50+ cole crop plants planted 03-08-14, and 12 bundles of bulbing onions planted over the last couple of weeks. My soil temp is about 45 degrees so I plan on planting kale and spinach today. All the plants I have planted this year have been purchased plants.

Larry.

• winstonsblues
    10 years ago

Nothing inside or outside yet here. The craziness of this winter has eased my mind about starting late though.

• okoutdrsman
    10 years ago

From what I've seen, most of the one's that aren't running behind, are out running around looking for replacements.
    I feel like I'm running really late on everything except some of my greenhouse starts. I had around 1200 onions in the ground around the 3rd of Feb, last year. Just now came in from planting a little over 700. 6 bunches to go, plus 2 bags of bulbs.
    May take a break from the onion planting and work on potato tower cages. That, and a few raised beds. March 17th has always been my potato planting date, but they may go in a few days early, this year.
    For the most part, my tomato starts have done pretty well. Peppers on the other hand, have been a pain. Round two on most of them and still limited success. If these don't work, I'm going to do a ten minute soak in hydrogen peroxide, rinse and then I may use moist paper towels to start the sprouting. Need to budget in some heated growing mats.

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

I planted starts of SSSpeas and purchased bundles of onions on Sunday as well as carrots, radishes, beets, lettuce, spinach and arugula. I have tomatoes, peppers, tomatillos, broccoli and more peas all up in the greenhouse. Plus some flowers and herbs. The potatoes have been cut and sprouting in the dark in a cool bedroom for a couple weeks. They will go into the ground soon. I also got out a sweet potato and it had started to sprout so I cut off the tips of a couple and have them potted to make slips.

• amunk01
    10 years ago

Wow, it was super windy today! Sure put a damper on my day of garden chores. Tomorrow I'll be planting cabbage, kale, spinaches, chard, and about 7 varieties of lettuce I started indoors a week to two weeks ago. Oh, a few herbs too, dill, chamomile, cilantro. I hope to sow some carrots, and beet seed too. Still waiting on my seed potatoes to arrive in the mail.. I Guess I'm going to have to call and check when they plan to send those to me. At this point, I can't even remember exactly what I ordered. Ha. The sugar snap peas are growing nicely, and the second group is soaking tonight. I haven't decided if I'm going to sprout them indoors or direct sow them..
    I've been gradually hardening off all my warm season transplants. I have some monster tomato plants that are screaming "PLANT US!" every time I walk past the light shelves, but I know its too early. Oh well, the gals warned me when I started that bunch too early, but I just couldn't help myself.. Lol Lesson learned. The rest of the toms and peppers will be the perfect size when the time comes so I'm not too worried.
    I'm not too sure if my flowers i started 2/15 & 2/21 will ever be ready. I started Vinca, Petunias, Arizona blanket flowers, and Linaria. Not a single Vinca seed has sprouted, only three Petunias, and maybe 30 percent of a 72 cell flat of Linaria. The blankets are small but at least they came up! The bee balm and lemon balm are tiny as well, but I imagine they will grow a little quicker than the others.

• dulahey
    10 years ago

I planted my 2nd batch of Snap Peas today. Also a bunch of loose leaf lettuce plants. Put in the few spinach plants I managed to germinate indoors (soil was too warm inside) and planted lots more seed.

Basically, I planted all of my cool weather stuff except for my romaine lettuce plants that I started indoors and broccoli.

The romaine just looks pitiful. I planted the seeds over a month ago. They were slow to germinate but they're still less than 1" tall. Maybe 4 leaves each. No where near the size of the buttercrunch. And the broccoli I just started less than 2 weeks ago so it's still a little small. It's coming along very well though.