Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
winstonsblues

Septic field?

winstonsblues
10 years ago

We are in a rental house, and I have no idea exactly where the septic field is. We had an overflow of some sort last year and that was on the side of the house, but I don't know what the full extent of the field is. Is this something I should know for sure before planting anything? We are not planting any root vegetables.

Comments (7)

• OklaMoni
    10 years ago

How long have you lived there?

During last summer, with normal water use for 2 or more people you should have had long rows of green grass.

This is where some of the lateral lines were.

Moni

• miraje
    10 years ago

Septic fields tend to be sited where the water will flow downhill with gravity, so if your yard has any slope to it, the lateral lines are probably downslope from the house. Otherwise, like Moni said, they'll be wherever the lawn stays green in the summer while the rest of the bermuda goes dormant. In our yard, the septic tank's hatch is so shallow that the grass above it will go brown before everything else, so it looks like a circular dead patch of grass between the house and the lateral lines.

• winstonsblues
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We've been here for 2 years now. Hmmm, there haven't been any noticeable rows... and the yard seems to slope in both directions away from the house. Where it overflowed last year, which is right next to the side of the house there is always very, very tall grassy stuff, but nothing noticeable anywhere else. If the septic tank overflowed on the side of the house would it be safe to assume that the field is also on the side of the house or could the lines run to the backyard as well?

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

There should be a 4" clean-out near where it comes out of the house. (it may be covered up) That may be where the overflow was. The septic tank should be about 10' from the house. From the tank it should run into a junction box that feeds the lateral lines. The lines will be laid to match the lot. I have (5) 70' lateral lines laid almost level ( better water disposition with level lines, otherwise the water will run to the low spots). My soil is very shallow so my system is very near the surface and I can see where the soil has settled. The lines should slope only slightly away from the house. This is how I was required to install my system in Arkansas, it also had to be inspected. But different areas have different regulations.

Larry

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

Have you asked your landlord? Perhaps he can tell you. And yes it is important to know. Even if you aren't planting root crops you don't want to grow any veggies over your lateral lines. The flavor will almost surely suffer and big plants could put roots into the lines and that's not good either.

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

Can you get under the house with a flashlight? You should be able to see where the drain pipe exits, so at least you will know on which side of the house it is most likely to be.

• winstonsblues
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the info! :) Since it is important to know for sure, I guess we will start with asking the landlord.

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor