Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remy_gw

Need Help for Customer with Plant Choices

remy_gw
10 years ago

Hi All!
I have a customer in your area of the world and since you have a great state forum, I figured I would ask you all for your opinions.
They wrote, "I have a very steep slope (mostly sunny) facing south that is 5' x 55' but in one area 15' x 11', and sometimes quite windy. I'm looking for ground cover that does not require a lot of work to take care of. The slope is dry, although I can water, and grass will not grow on it. I do like your blue fescue and hope to use it at the top of the wider slope (15' x 11') and maybe along the middle of the rest of the area (5'x55'). Is is a steep south slope and sometimes quite windy so I need something that doesn't grow very tall and hugs the ground, something like walk on me thyme or a vinca. Any other suggestions?"
. I wrote back other suggestions,"Some may be a couple feet tall in bloom, but no larger, and I will include them in case you want a few items that are not too short. Things to look for in descriptions to know they might work are western native, silvery foliage, alpine garden plant, needs well drained soil, and of course drought resistant.
Ornamental Agastaches
Antennaria dioica �Rubra�
Armeria maritima
Aster tongolensis �Wartburg Star�
Balsamorhiza sagittata
Callirhoe involucrata
Catananche caerulea
Cerastium tomentosum
Coreopsis
Dianthus
Eryngium alpinum �Superbum�
Gaillardia
Lychnis alpina (Arctic Campion)
Lychnis chalcedonica �Burning Love�
Mirabilis multiflora
Papaver nudicaule Mix (Iceland Poppy)
Penstemon strictus
Sedums
Sisyrinchium bellum (Blue Eyed Grass)
Stachys monieri
Veronica incana
Lychnis flos-cuculi"
. Maybe I suggested too much( and some items don't have a pic on my site) as they are still up in the air about what to get, and I want to steer them best direction.
Thanks for any help!
Remy

Comments (4)

• TexasRanger10
    10 years ago

*Artemisia frigida--- Beautiful ground hugging native sagebrush, silver with delicate seed heads.
    *Dalea greggii-----another silver groundcover, works well in zone 7
    *Dalea purpureua--Purple Prairie Clover
    *Blue Grama grass. It will work on a dry slope, clump forming, low and great summer seed heads.
    *Nassella tenuissima--Mexican Feather Grass--fine, golden, glows in sunlight and very drought hardy, naturalizes very easily by seed.
    *Muhlenbergia grasses--check out the varies types. Very drought hardy.
    *Hairy golden aster. Tough native, low and you can walk on it. Naturalizes easily, yellow blooms all summer thru fall.
    *Callirhoe involucrata--Purple winecups (perennial variety). Native. Spreads in a wide low mat with wine colored flowers.
    *Santolina. Non native, drought hardy, there is a silver variety and a green.
    *Lantana horrida. Will take the drought & heat, low wide spreading.
    *Baileya multiradiata---Desert Marigold, blue foliage, very drought hardy.
    *Berlandiera lyrata---Chocolate Flower
    *Calylophus hartwegii--Fendler's Sundrops, low woody shrublike primrose
    * Oenothera macrocarpa ---Missouri primrose
    *Achillea millefolium or some other variety
    *Melampodium leucanthum--Blackfoot Daisy
    *Liatris punctata--Spotted Gayfeather
    *Artemisia ludoviciana--dense growth, tough. Get the nearly white one.
    *Salvia greggii--Small shrub
    *Russian Sage--non native, can get large. Silver foliage.
    *Ephedra

I am sure the grasses I listed will grow in that situation. I'm sure if I thought, I could come up with some others. I do well with all of these with no irrigation.

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

Ditch lilies :) Round up doesn't even kill them! (Orange wild daylilies)

TexasRanger has some good suggestions. Pink evening primrose might work as well too...especially in the spring.

• wbonesteel
    10 years ago

See: 'Decision Theory' Start with that topic and start your research from there. if you work in any level of marketing and sales, you need a basic grounding in that and related topics.

Hint: Ask the customer about other plants and beds on the property and then you can offer a 'mix and match' of new plantings that will add 'value' to what is already planted on the property - design, textures, colors, etc. This will prevent you AND the customer from being confused with an over abundance of choices. You can reduce the number of choices by 'limiting' the parameters of the decision.

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Texas Ranger and Lisa, Thank you!

Wbonesteel,
    I live in WNY (Western New York State along the Niagara River,) the weather is much different here than in Oklahoma. If I were talking about a person with my climate, I would not have come here for help as I would have no hesitation in what to suggest as the best choices.
    I came here for personal suggestions from gardeners (as they are the best) in the same vicinity to narrow the parameters so hopefully the customer will have high success rate with their final decision.
    Remy