Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slowpoke_gardener

Macmex--sweet potato

slowpoke_gardener
11 years ago

I have some sweet potatoes that I grow as an ornamental ground cover. They taste more like an Irish potato than a sweet potato. They keep very well and bloom almost all summer.

I will post a picture of what they look like. Your bees may like them, they might serve as food as well. My wife does not like them but I have eaten them raw.

I will be glad to send you some just to say thanks for the onions you sent me, if your interested.

How they look after laying on our bedroom floor since late Sept.

Comments (6)

• Macmex
    11 years ago

Larry, I'll give it a try. You still have my address?

George

• slowpoke_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

George, I doubt that I have your address. I am so messed up when it comes to using a computer, even if I had your address I am not sure I could find it.

Please send your address and let me know if you want slips only or potatoes with slips attached. I will be more that happy to do it anyway you like.

I have never mailed sweet potatoes or slips, I may need some instructions also.

Larry

• helenh
    10 years ago

Where did you find them in the first place? Do others like them or are they mostly ornamental plants?

This post was edited by helenh on Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 17:14

• slowpoke_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Helen, my wife got them in Ft. Smith at Sharum's nursery. There were only two plants in with other plants, she bought both of them and they did not have a name on them. I have kept some back for seed since then and still don't know what they are. I have eaten some raw the past 2 or 3 years, but this is the first year I have been able get my wife to cook any. She cook 2 each of Beauregard, Puerto Rican, and what ever these are. The way she prepared them, I like these better. They were baked whole with a coating of butter, salt and garlic. They were about 1" in Dia. and about 4 or 5 inch long. I ate peel and all and thought the had a better taste than the others, which were too sweet..

I left an 18 Gal. tote tub of sweet potatoes out to freeze, I just grew too much produce this year, I need more storage space.

Larry

• Macmex
    10 years ago

Larry, I'm sorry to report that I lost mine before I could get them in the ground. You went through considerable effort and expense, getting them to me.

George

• slowpoke_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

George, I think I can have some this year, I have saves back 3 or 4 for seed, I had given my uncle a start of them 2 of 3 years ago and he still save some back for seed. I gave a lady at M & M Greenhouse some plants about 1.5 or 2 years ago, I don't know if she grew and saved any. Sheila may know the woman and know if she is saving seed plants from year to year. Because of my declining health I am cutting back on what I grow, but I think I will be able to get some plants if anyone wants any.

Larry