Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seed starting mix

Posted by winstonsblues 7b (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 14:05

I would like to make a seed starting mix from stuff in the yard... is that possible? What would you use?
We have what I believe is a cedar tree in our front yard. The ground below it is covered in needles and the hulls of seeds. Can I use those as some part of it? (or anything?)
I was thinking something like garden dirt, compost, and the cedar stuff?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seed starting mix

I've never been successful with any of my dirt except with, at least, half from seed-starting soil. Even then, the mold problems was bad. I even sterilized the soil by baking it. Didn't seem to help for me. Of course, not all dirt is the same. and mine were indoor starts. Outdoor starts behaved better.

I've considered using my better garden soil with something natural mixed in like crushed peanut hulls or something similar. (I have clay.) I might try that in the fall.

o

My neighbor was making his own out of leaf mold and other stuff he found in the woods by his house. He had beautiful plants, but there also seemed to be a learning curve he had to go through. I just use LC1 potting mix and a mixture of a potting mix that a local greenhouse mixes up. Both the local mix and the LC1 are around 13 to 15 dollars for a large bag. I use the same to pot up into, I lean more to the LC1 when the plants are larger because it is a little cheaper and I can buy it closer to home. At this time I don't feel it is worth my effort to mix my own 'Home Made" mix because I don't use that much, but I would like to know how to do it.

Larry

o

I think is kind of an accepted one by a lot of folks on GardenWeb

Tapla's 5-1-1 Mix

5 parts pine bark fines
1 part sphagnum peat
1-2 parts perlite
garden lime
controlled release fertilizer (not really necessary)
a micro-nutrient source (seaweed emulsion, Earthjuice, Micro-max, STEM, etc,)

o
Oops, Forget That

I was thinking container mix. I buy starting mix.

o

o

It doesn't take much seed starting mix to plant a lot of plants. Actually I just use soil less potting mix for seed starting. This year I used Miracle Grow and a potting mix sold by a local garden center that they use to pot all their bedding plants. It is pretty fine with peat and perlite and other stuff. I think seeds are too expensive to expose to soil or cedar debris. You can make potting mix by gathering materials like soonergrandma mentioned. Finding all the parts is a chore for me. The micronutrients and how much lime have been hard for me and also tracking down pine bark fines.

o

Yeah, I wouldn't want to run all over town buying different ingredients... I was just wondering about stuff I could go outside and get. If I go out shopping, I'll just buy a ready made mix.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here