Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Upcoming weather

Posted by wxcrawler OK (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 14:23

After a cold couple of days on Monday and Tuesday, it looks like we'll have a stretch of at least 7 days of good, warm weather here in OK. And the computer models don't really show any cold weather after that out to 16 days. It's early for Tulsa, but I'm going to plant a few tomatoes in my containers on Wednesday. Yippie!!!

Lee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Upcoming weather

Lee,

Yay!

Thanks for posting this, I have been watching the long-term forecast like a hawk for the last couple of weeks and have been really excited about the warm weather that starts up for us in a couple of days. I kept telling my DH that the 8-14 day temperature outlook showed us getting nice and warm, though he was focused more on the 7-day forecast. I feel like I've been waiting forever for these warm temps to get here.

I have 5 container tomato plants with fruit that I've been carrying inside in cold weather, and I have had them since the last week in January. They've been able to stay outside a surprising amount of the time.

I just moved all my 5-week-old home-grown tomato seedlings from the light shelf indoors to the greenhouse yesterday, so I could begin hardening them off. I am not in a real big hurry to put them into the ground, even though my soil temps have been roughly averaging in the mid-50s, but I do want them hardened off to outdoor conditions so that if the weather stays warm I can get them in ground sometime before the end of March.

We have some cold nights ahead tonight and tomorrow, but my greenhouse stays above freezing as long as the outdoor air doesn't drop below about 26 degrees, and I can quickly move the tomato plants to the nearby well-insulated garage if it looks like we might go significantly colder than forecast.

Last year I already was putting tomato plants in the ground by now, about 2 and 1/2 weeks ahead of my average last frost date, but the weather this year has not been nearly as warm so I'm trying to control my desire to plant like a maniac.

Dawn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here