Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Will Make My Daffodils Bloom?

Posted by csdcsmith NCOKz6b (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 07 at 15:14

Last couple of years I've had very few daffodil/narcissus blooms where I used to have handfuls. I assume something is missing from the soil. What do they need to beef up for more blooms next year?

(No, I don't mow them down.. . .)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Will Make My Daffodils Bloom?

1. How old are the bulbs? Have they been in place long enough that the clumps have grown substantially and become crowded? If so, they might need to be divided.

2. How much sun do they get? They really need full sun in order to bloom well every year.

3. Any problems with the soil? Maybe all they do need is a good bulb fertilizer. Espoma Bulb-Tone is a good one.

Those are my best guesses--need to be divided OR aren't getting enough sun OR need to be fed (or any combination of those three). I am assuming you haven't seen any sign of insect damage or foliar disease.

Dawn

o

• Posted by maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 18, 07 at 22:39

Dawn makes a good point. In my experience (I don't do that many Dafs) two things stand out - overcrowding and lack of prolonged winter chill. This year it seems like we had more cold days then in the past couple of years and my dafs have bloomed better then ever. If you are having problems it may be overcrowding. I can't advise as to nutrients as in my heavy clay soil we have excess amount of the Phosphorus (the nutrient that causes lots of blooms). If you have sandy soil an analysis from your ag extension service may be helpful. Also, if the foliage emerged properly but then you got no blooms it could be that the buds were killed by (A) a late freeze or (B) drought as they were forming. With dafs at least there's always next year.

o

Daffs need full sun during their growing season--Dec to June. After that they go dormant. I have hundreds of daffs under deciduous trees. But they must be divided when they get crowded. This is the most common reason for bloom decline. The best time is late May. I like to put them right back in the ground, but I have taken open boxes of dry bulbs in the house and kept them until Sept. I have also planted them by just tossing them on the ground in the woods next to our drive in early Oct and letting the falling leaves cover them. My early daffs, which normally bloom late Jan to early Feb, suffered quite a bit of bud kill this year. Too daffs don't like to be planted too deep and if for some reason the soil has filled in over the bulbs that might be a problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here