Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Severe TStorm Watch--South-Central OK

Posted by okiedawn Z7 OK (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 15:16

The NWS has issued a Severe Thunderstorm Watch for a dozen counties in south-central OK. Well, now we know it is spring....because hail could pound our gardens. : )

If you want to see which counties are included in the watch, click on the link below. The watch is in effect through 11 p.m. and the sun has been popping out every now and then to warm us up a bit and help set-up the area for storms.

This is why gardeners don't sleep at night....get all those pretty spring plants growing and here come the thunderstorms!

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: NWS Norman Office Webpage

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Severe TStorm Watch--South-Central OK

Aw Lord, take care of me and my garden

o
RE: Severe TStorm Watch--South-Central OK

I know how you feel.

The 'red' part of the radar has remained west of us...more out towards western Love County but it is getting closer now and the skies are getting darker here near the I35 corridor.

If hail has to fall, I hope it doesn't pound the garden too long. Better now than in May though.

o
RE: Hailing

pomderpaul and anyone else in line of storms:

Has been hailing here about 4 miles s/sw of Marietta for about 3 or 4 minutes now. So far hail is mostly pea to marble sized. My poor little garden plants. They were so lovely yesterday! If the hail doesn't get much larger, they might survive...but it is hitting the house at a pretty high velocity which cannot be good

o
RE: Good Rainfall Anyhow

We had really nice rainfall for a while, with little piddly pea-sized to marble-sized hail mixed in. There was a bit of wind and a lot of lightning and thunder. The storm has weakened and moved east/northeast.

The garden looks fine. The pea-sized hail didn't hurt the pea plants, and we received 1.5" of rain. Hooray for the rain. I think this 1.5" is our largest one-day rainfall total since July. We have had that much fall in some two-day storms, but not in one day. Our yard is a lake....and I am not complaining.

Dawn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here