Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
storm18

Where to buy Comfrey? Any ideas?

Storm18
13 years ago

I've been trying to buy a Comfrey plant locally with no luck. I would rather not start from seed for this plant. I'm near the Tulsa area. I've checked several local nurseries - Southwoods, Stringer, Rancho Flores. Does anyone know a local source that might keep these plants in stock?

I'm looking for the Russian variety (Bocking 14 Cultivar). I'm hoping to get Comfrey established in my backyard so that I can use some of the leaves to make Comfrey tea for feeding the veggie garden, for the compost pile, etc... Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (5)

• scardanelli
    13 years ago

Storm,

I have that variety growing in my backyard. I bought roots from Horizon Herbs (www.horizonherbs.com) and planted them about 2 years ago. The Bocking 14 variety of comfrey is pretty uncommon and i don't think you'll have any luck finding them locally in stores. The plant is fairly popular amongst the permaculture crowd though, so perhaps if you searched for any permaculture groups in the Tulsa area, they may be willing to share.

The Bocking 14 cultivar can't be planted from seed, as it is a sterile hybrid. Any seeds you may find will be the specie which reseed like crazy. Wouldn't recommend it. And make sure you are positive about the location you want you comfrey in...once you plant them, they'll be there for all eternity.

-Matt

• Storm18
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Matt,
    Thanks for the info. I'll plan to order some roots from Horizon Herbs. : ) Hopefully the plant will establish itself easily. Although I would not mind having the regular Comfrey, I've heard that it can spread like crazy and I don't want to make the neighber angry. Thanks again!

- Hanna

• scardanelli
    13 years ago

No problem :) Don't worry about the plant establishing...they are tough as nails. Mine grow in almost total shade and get hardly any water. During severe droughts, the tops die off, but as soon as they get some water, they spring back to life. It truly is an amazing plant!

-Matt

• homeinmygarden
    12 years ago

hello! i know this is late, but i just have to comment that i've had incredibly positive purchases and dealings with coe's comfrey in north carolina. i was told that they are getting ready to launch their website, so you can order from them. http://www.coescomfrey.com.

i have to agree with scardanelli, comfrey is an amazing plant! best to you!

• madness123
    11 years ago

Anyone have any sources of the bocking 14 in Canada? Other than Richters which is sold out until spring?

thx!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES