Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planted potatoes and tomatoes in the garden

Posted by mulberryknob z6OK (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 12, 12 at 16:42

on the same day. I don't think I've ever done that before. I only planted 6 tomatoes of the ones I started the first of Jan. The later-planted ones are still in the greenhouse, just potted up last week.

And with all the windows in the greenhouse open it is still 81 degrees F in there on the shady side. AACCHH. That's just too hot for everything in there. I'm going to go find a stand fan and put it in the north or east window to pull the air through better. There are windows on all four sides, but they all open low. We really need to put a vent fan up high.

I'm going back out to plant 30 broccoli plants even though it's 3 weeks earlier than I normally do. I have backups if these frost out. I can't even imagine that right now...but I remember April of 07.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planted potatoes and tomatoes in the garden

It is a crazy gardening year already, though maybe in a good way, if the abnormally warm temperatures last through April or May and then return to normal so we don't cook like we did last summer.

It was 80 degrees here today and the greenhouse hit 88, but I only had the doors open, not the vents, and no fan running. All the plants were out on the patio enjoying a cool breeze.

I got my broccoli into the ground last week before the rain fell and it really enjoyed the 2 or 3 days of cloudy, cool, rainy weather. Today it was less than impressed with full sun all day. The broccoli didn't wilt or anything, but it was sighing and begging for a tall glass of sweet tea.

I put the first 14 tomato plants into the ground. It seems odd, but with temps running about 20 degrees above average, I'm not going to waste this weather.

I have back-ups for every single thing that is in the ground. I remember April 2007 too. To be specific, April 8th. I remember hurriedly building temporary hoop houses over 5 or 6 raised beds of tomato and pepper plants. It took all day and a lot of rolls of 6 mm plastic from Home Depot. I left those hoop houses up for 3 weeks just in case, and my plants survived the 7 or 8 nights we went into the 30s during that cold spell, the sleet, the frosty mornings, the cold rain, the endless gray skies, etc. I am prepared to go to those lengths again if a significant cold spell threatens, but I hope we don't have a big, late cold spell after all this gorgeous warm weather.

o
RE: Planted potatoes and tomatoes in the garden

Dawn, I went out with a shovel and a couple totes and dug up my tomatoes and peppers and brought them back on the porch with a heater. Then I draped sheets over all the broccoli and used clothespins to attach sheets to the trellis that had the peas. I still lost several of them. I sure hope nothing like that happens again this year when it is even warmer than that year was.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here