Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What happened to the moisture...

Posted by mulberryknob z6OK (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 30, 12 at 17:49

that 4" of rain put into our soil the 19th and 20th of this month? The top 2" are dry now and it's not very wet a foot down. So DH and I watered the peas and broccoli and cabbage and mulched them with shredded leaves. It has been just too hot here since that rain to suit me. As I plant tomatoes and peppers I keep thinking, "How many of you can I keep alive if we have another summer like 2011?"

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What happened to the moisture...

80 degrees and wind. Here we go, again!

o

I was thinking the same thing. I have been whining about the mud, soon I will have brick.

I wanted to till the other gardens the past two days and mulch the one I have planted, but just much going on.

o

Dorothy,

Your moisture must be here at my house.

My soil is still so wet just an inch below the surface in the unplanted parts of my garden that I can't plant in them yet. I am sure it will dry up if we don't get rain by mid-April and you know how clay is--it stays wet forever but once it is dry, it is really dry.

We still have standing puddles from the last rainfall, but they have dried up a lot the last couple of days and likely will be gone in a couple of days.

I am planting very heavily now hoping for good, early yields and will not try to keep all of it alive past June if no rain is falling. I'm just not going to spend a lot of money on irrigation this year. We've had plenty of moisture here, so I am not worried yet.

Dawn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here