Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rebeccca_gw

Local source for heirloom seeds/seedlings in Tulsa???

rebeccca
13 years ago

I'm expanding my garden again and would like to buy some heirloom seeds and seedlings. I'd really like to just walk into a store but a quick google search doesn't reveal anything.

Anyone know if there us a Tulsa store with such a thing?

Comments (15)

• dodemeister
    13 years ago

what ya need/want sugar? i've got some heirloom tomato seeds, some other stuff and im' pretty sure i saw cherokee purple tomato plants at HD the other day.

dody :)

• soonergrandmom
    13 years ago

Check the schedule for Duck Creek Farms and you will probably find him at a market near you. Gary is a frequent visitor to this forum, but has to be careful not to advertise here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Duck Creek

• wekamoke
    13 years ago

Seedlings-like dody said even home depot may have heirloom varieties these days. farmers markets also good source.

But as far as non-monsanto or heirloom seeds botanical interests brand at southwood nursery is all I have come up with.

I often dont have money in advance and then when i do i just want to go get it and not have to wait on online ordering.

I'll be very interested in further responses to this myself

terra

• dodemeister
    13 years ago

well, here's some interesting info. there's a place around 15th and harvard called Urban Gardens and they have a whole bunch of heirloom tomatoes in stock right now. i had no idea the existed. i only knew of grumpy's. so, i'll include the link to them. hope they have some of the stuff you want!

Here is a link that might be useful: tulsa urban garden

• piscesfish
    13 years ago

I haven't been in there yet, but I've heard the Garden Trug at 3009 E. 101st Street in Tulsa (kinda near Jenks) has some neat stuff. They advertise on Tulsa's NPR station all the time about having unique and organic plants. I'd try there. I ordered my seeds from Botanical Interests and Seed Savers this year. Next year, I'm going to try Rare Seeds.com. Hope that helps.

• OkiePokie
    13 years ago

I went into that urban garden place about two months ago. I was driving to merrits and saw it and felt the need to stop thinking "OH GARDENING STUFF YAY!" Lets just say that they do not really cater to veggie gardeners very well. Most of their stuff seemed to be geared for hydroponic gardens and high powered small scale production of things that make the law abiding part of me cringe and the rebel hippy part of me giggle. Definate patchouli place. They had a small greenhouse and I glanced in it and wasnt real impressed. Admittedly it was the off season for most garden places and so they just may have not been geared up for those of us who dont really need helicopters buzzing our backyards... If they have heirlooms though I might give it another look as so long as I scan the area first to make sure my license plate number is not being noted by the police ^_^

Hit up the local farmers markets. I know the one on cherry street usually has someone out there selling seedlings.
    Check with Duck creek. Gary seems to have a huge selection so you can find what you want typically.

• cjlambert
    13 years ago

OkiePokie - interesting description of urban gardens; I haven't been in there, yet, but am planning to go. You've piqued my interest! :)

• rebeccca
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dody!!! You called me Sugar AND offered me seeds . . .!!! You make me feel at home again (not a Tulsa native and missing the South sometimes)

I would love to have some of your tomato seeds. I'd really just like for you to advise me. What could I reasonably start from seed now?

I'd love to hear from you on that and I'd really love some of your seeds.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

I thought I'd link Gary's website for those of you who are pretty new to Garden Web and might have missed it earlier.

His schedule that shows which days he'll be selling at which location in on his website, as is his list of varieties available this year.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Duck Creek Farms

• cjlambert
    13 years ago

Here's a new store just opened in Tulsa; they carry native plants, but I don't know if they have vegetable seedlings. Haven't been out there yet!

Here is a link that might be useful: Groggs Green Barn

• buck_keelys_net
    13 years ago

try this store they sell only heirloom seeds.
    ======================
    http://www.seedcatalog.com
    Heirloom Seed, 'How God plants His garden.'

• scottokla
    13 years ago

I'd suggest Duck Creek.

A backup plan would be Carmichaels in Bixby. They will have these tomatoes available in the next week or two (some now):

Belgium Giant
    Cherokee Purple
    Green Zebra
    Mr Stripe
    Brandywine
    Pink Girl
    Golden Jubilee

They also have 20 to 25 hybrid tomatoes and 20+ pepper varieties.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

Let's not forget The Tomatoman's Daughter.

I've linked her website below.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Tomatoman's Daughter

• rick_rnation1_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I opened Clear Creek Seeds (www.clearcreekseeds.com) this year and am based out of Locust Grove OK. I have Non-hybrid, Open-pollinated, and Heirloom seeds. No hybrid, GMO seeds. Call me at 918-386-0546 if you have any questions.
    -Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: Clear Creek Seeds

• cjlambert
    13 years ago

Rick - your site has some good information. Thanks for posting it.
    Carol

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations