Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Texas lilac/Chaste tree

Posted by c1nicolei 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 19:09

I purchased a chaste tree from TLC about 2 years ago (for a pretty penny) and have had several self propagate around my property. I however have had little luck with trying to start seeds "intentionally". I was wondering if I am missing a trick with germination that mother nature has taken care of. Please share any suggestions if you have had luck with this plant. I absolutely love all the hummingbirds, butterflies and bumble bees this plant attracts! Last year during Monarch migration there were literally hundreds on my large bushes! I eventually would love to have about 20 along my creek area. IF anyone wants seeds I have hundreds to share. Hope you all have the spring bug like I do. This weekend was a perfect time to get out and get everything ready to GROW! :) Happy gardening.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Texas lilac/Chaste tree

I would keep scattering seed. I will also them i found one much more reasonably priced at Home Depot after spending a very pretty penny at a nursery :) I bought it too! So now I have three. I love them.

o

I don't know that you're doing anything wrong. After you gather the seed and before you sow it, float the seed in a bowl of water for 24 hours. Discard the ones that float to the top, because they aren't any good. Sow the good seeds in flats or small pots in a good soil-less mix. Keep the mix evenly moist but not sopping wet and not dry. If you keep the plants indoors in room temperatures of 70-75, the seeds will sprout in about 2 weeks. It could take a long as 4 weeks.

Seed of vitex agnus-castus doesn't have a dormancy period, and doesn't have any special stratification needs, so you shouldn't have any trouble getting them to sprout. When I grew them from seed, they sprouted pretty quickly.

I love chaste tree and have one right outside my kitchen window.

Dawn

o

I started about six last year, doing just like Dawn described. Unfortunately...grasshoppers hit, after I had transplanted them outside. They were gone in two days. :(

George
Tahlequah, OK

o

George, was that from the vitex seed I sent you? Let me know if you want more and I can try to save some more of the seeds after they bloom. I think I still have your address in my email. I'm happy to hear that they sprouted at least!

Heather

o

Yes Heather, they were from your seed. Yes! I'd love to try again!

George

o

I would LOVE to try and grow them from seed. My email is lacirai@gmail.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here