Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slowpoke_gardener

starting tomato seeds

slowpoke_gardener
10 years ago

I have been running a little behind this year because of health issues and caring for parents with health issues and have not taken the time to start tomato plants. My DW read about some tomatoes that she thought would be good and ordered the seed, scooped dirt out of the sweet potato bed and plant the seed in the kitchen window. She will be 75 tomorrow and these are her first tomato plants. I potted them up today and will place them under the lights. If she would have let me know what she had planned I could have given her potting soil or seed starting mix out of the shop. I am proud of that young lady.

Larry

Comments (15)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Yay! Good for her. I think your gardening is rubbing off on her a little bit.

• sorie6 zone 6b
    10 years ago

Wow!!! Good for her!! She really wanted tomatoes didn't she? You go girl!

• slowpoke_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm sorry to get off topic, but 75 years ago today my DW was born in this log cabin. It looks much nicer now than then because the man that bought it was able to disassemble it and rebuild it for his daughter and grandson to live in. Madge went down a couple of months ago for a visit and took pictures of the cabin, and the creek where they washed their clothes and the long road coming through the woods to the cabin, Madge's uncle even built an old style baby crib for the grandson.

I don't know how many lived in the house when Madge was a child, but it had to be at least five because Madge was the third of the 7 children. Madge's oldest daughter made a painting of her grandpa plowing with his favorite mule. The family were of the Seventh Day Adventist faith, Their love for God, family and healthy hold some living has made it a joy to be part of the family.

Happy Birthday Madge, may we finish growing old together.

Love, Larry

• northerner_on
    10 years ago

Happy Birthday, Madge. You are so lucky to have Larry around. I love the look of the log home... it must be lovely in the summer. Your tomato plants look just fine, and I'm sure you'll have a lovely harvest.

• luvncannin
    10 years ago

Happy birthday Madge.
    I love hearing stories of the simpler times and I am so happy for the first tomato plants, that is awesome.
    kim

• farmgardener
    10 years ago

Happy Birthday Madge,
    I love the log cabin. I lived in SE Oklahoma my first 6 years with grandparents and an uncle who had a cabin much like yours - some of my happiest memories! Your tomato plants look better than mine - Larry must be a good influence.

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

Happy Birthday Madge.

Thanks for sharing this treat with us. Congratulations on the tomatoes1

• wulfletons
    10 years ago

Aw....I love the story of her house, and I love that she started tomato plants.
    Today would have been my Dad's 69th birthday, so I definitely have a soft spot for Madge....wish her a happy birthday from me!
    Krista

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

Happy birthday Madge. Love the pic of the cabin, Larry. The small frame house I was born in succumbed to rot and termites and was burned about 20 years ago. How fortunate that lovely little cabin still exists.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Happy Birthday, Madge! I think Larry's a real keeper, and suspect you think so too.

Larry, Thanks for sharing the photo of Madge's log cabin, and the story of her childhood there. I love hearing personal history like that. To me, this is the sort of history that is meaningful---too soon we all forget about the folks who came before us, and how they lived.

When I was a young teenager--maybe 13 or 14, my dad took me back to Spanish Fort, TX, to show me the house he grew up in. It was a tiny wood frame house, unpainted wood, and maybe 20' x 20'. It was about to fall down, and the farmer who owned the land by then was storing hay in it. It was a glimpse at what life in the 1920s and 1930s must have been like. I'm glad I got to see it then, because it fell down a few years later and when we went back, it was gone.

Dawn

• slowpoke_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Madge said thanks to all for the wonderful Birthday wishes. We had a wonderful party at a local bank hospitality room. Although she ask that no one bring a gift, she still got plenty. The most unique was a planter that one of her sons made.

Larry

• luvncannin
    10 years ago

Oh I just love that planter. please show us what it looks like when you get it planted, it will be beautiful
    kim

• slowpoke_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kim, I will, first I hope to make some inserts to fit inside of it. I would like to preserve it and pass it on to the son that made it when Madge and I are gone. I think it is beautiful also and want it to last a long time.

Larry

• luvncannin
    10 years ago

Oh that's a very smart idea. I never would have thought of inserts. I was looking [really ogling] thinking how I would fill something that nice and not ruin it. I may hint to my son about this idea.
    But the heart shape on the end really is what takes the cake ya know!
    kim

• susanlynne1948
    10 years ago

A belated, yet heartfelt, Happy Birthday to Madge! Larry is at the top of our list for favorite gardener and gardening friend here on the forum. You definitely have a wonderful fella in him, and I'm sure you're his favorite gal and have been for just a few year, huh?

Love that planter and can see why you want to maintain, preserve, and pass it on.

The tomatos look great! I am late, too. Just ordered a packet of Black Cherry and SunGold to plant. They're pretty sturdy plants, so think they will make it thru the heat and produce well despite the late planting. My grandkiddos love the two.

While Kenna has temporarily outgrown the gardening bug (she's 12 now), and moved on to other interests, my youngest GD is going on 4, and loves flowers, plants, bugs, butterflies, and birds. I think Kenna will return to gardening when she gets older. It's hard to forget the things you learn as a child, and that bring you such joy during that time.

Susan

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus