Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickencoupe1

Can I put berries here?

chickencoupe
10 years ago

OSU Planting guide suggests certain types of blueberries. Check. It also states they don't like the dry winds here.

Welp, this are is neglected. Okay, EVERything is neglected because of my back, until now. First priority is the house, of course.

BUT the reason I'm thinking blueberries here is because when I couldn't do much I simply added ash to this ground to help alter the pH so.......

Comments (11)

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So THIS won't come back....

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The reason? Soil is a beautiful tilth/density. The henbit, lambsquarters, wild mustard, creeping charlie and wild lettuce have really worked this soil into a beautiful planting bed that only needs to be weeded and mulched.

But heck, for now flowers are cool, but what grows at less than 6 pH (based on henbit's preference which is growing right now.

Wouldn't take a whole lot longer to get it down further with some sulphur (or wood ash) and all the gobs of pecan shells and hull I have lying in wait.

Thanks!

Gosh, I have a lot of work to do on this side of the house!

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Did I mention how much I hate English Ivy?

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

Not woodash. That will raise the pH. 6 isn't really low enough for blueberries. You want it closer to 5 which is 10 times more acid than 6.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, that changes everything. Maybe I should just plant some leafy edibles or brassies. LOL

• wbonesteel
    10 years ago

Ya gotta maintain about a four foot clearance around that A/C unit, too (If it's still hooked up). Keep that in mind when you're planting. If you block the intake and exhaust, you're fighting a losing battle with your electric bill and the A/C unit will wear out sooner than it would, normally. You might be able to put some low growing plants around it, mebbe.

Those pics also illustrate why you don't want vines anywhere near your home ...or near anything else you want to keep. Looks like you removed it before it did any major damage. Scrape the sidling, seal it and paint it and you're good to go.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tx wboneseel

I won't let bill install that bad boy. It's old and would cost a fortune to run. You're right about that ivy... especially English Ivy! It was put up as insulation, which it did work well. Not worth it!

That stuff is up to 1/4 mile away strangling trees. I'm not stable enough to climb, yet. But when I am the rest is coming down.

• scottokla
    10 years ago

I personally don't know of a single person who has kept blueberries alive here in the Tulsa area growing in native soil. I have had relatively good success in 100% peat moss and in peat moss/pine bark/pecan shell/soil mixes.

In all seriousness, I know dozens who have tried, but the only two people who ever got berries did not grow in dirt.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Scott. With so much to do that's important to know.

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

Depending on the sun exposure you may be able to grow the things that do like alkaline soil. Brassicas, beans, lettuce should all do.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I dumped some spinach seeds in it and left. A couple came up. Its canopy of weeds is thinned out, seeds sown, chard transplanted and mulched. We'll rabbit-proof it. I think it's going to be a very nice spot!