Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soonergrandmom

2011 Spring Fling Thread II

soonergrandmom
13 years ago

Just a continuation of the Spring Flint thread since that one is about to run out of space and takes a long time to load for those of you with dial-up. Please post aditional 'Spring Fling' comments on this thread. Thanks. Carol

Comments (147)

• biradarcm
    13 years ago

Here is my tentative list of plants/seeds for Spring Fling;

SEEDS:
    1. Black sesame (plenty)
    2. Passion Fruit, Yellow (P.edulis)(~10)
    3. Southern peas-Gayathri (~50)
    4. Edible Amaranth (~100)
    6. Indian Sorrel (Rumex vesicarius)(~50)
    7. Sponge/Risge Lufa seeds (edible) (~100)
    8. Wax Gourd, Wonder Wax (~100)
    9. Calabash, Long Green (~50)

1. Pundipalya, Green (Hibiscus Sabdariffa)(20)

PLANTS
    1. Eggplant-Thai Long Green (4)
    2. Indian Pepper Mint (4)
    3. Ivy Gourd, (Coccinia grandis) edible fruits (2)
    4. Toothache Plant (Acmella oleracea)(4)
    5. Four-O-clock, pink/yellow/white (4)
    6. Marigold, French/Queen Sophia (4)
    7. Tomatoes-few (10), each one from my grow list or any extra I have...
    I may add few more type based on their success.

Four-O-clock, Marygold, Mint: I can make more pots if there is more demand.

Cheers -Chandra

• p_mac
    13 years ago

I just sent an e-mail to 6 of you who still hadn't received maps: (sorry, some I know by name & others by their screen name! Some both! I try to use screen names if I can remember....or wrote them down on the 7 post-it notes I'm carrying around! LOL)

Betty
    jcheckers
    mrsfrodo
    ezzirah011
    rebecca
    ksokiegonnab

A week and three days left!!!!! Let me know if there's anyone else who was expecting an e-mail that didn't receive one?

Paula

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Chandra - I still want to claim one of those Eggplants, so don't forget me. LOL

• biradarcm
    13 years ago

Carol, I do remember, will write your name on both Royal Hillybilly and Thain Long Green! -Chandra

• piscesfish
    13 years ago

Carol,

Do you still want one of my Black Beauty eggplants? Chandra, if you could write my name on one of those mints, that'd be great.

Kelly

• biradarcm
    13 years ago

Kelly, I noted your name on mint. Do you have extra Black Beauty? If so I would like to plant one. -Chandra

• Incahoots
    13 years ago

Thank you K and P for inviting me to the Spring Fling. FYI- this is Dog-Biscuit (K knows who I am)!!! I will wait to the last minute to decide what to bring because there is always a last minute cancellation that leaves a food or door prize of sort, vacancy. I'll fill that void if needed. Just make sure K has the right info to pass along to me at our place of employment. There is a 50/50 chance I will be alone or 1 person with me (still up in the air). I'm afraid most of you are much more advanced with your gardening than myself so I have no yield or seedlings to contribute but I do expect to enjoy attending and will contribute however I can. Thank you, Dog-Biscuit

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kelly, If you only have one then give it to Chandra because I am taking one of his. If you have more than one, then I am interested. I had seeds but forgot to start any eggplant at all. You may recall that I lost a friend when it was time to start transplants and my life went a little crazy for a couple of weeks. In addition, I'm a little crazy most of the time. LOL

Do you have plenty of tomato plants. I might have something you would like.

• p_mac
    13 years ago

Welcome, Incahoots!!!! errr, Dog-Biscuit! Glad you came out of the shadows to talk to us! This place is a WEALTH of information, encouragement and friends.

Garden Peeps - meet my friend, DogBiscuit...err Incahoots. DogBiscuit (Icahoots), meet my Garden Peeps!

FYI - Incahoots work w/my DH and he noticed the mounds of cardboard DH was bringing home and the garden-talk started there. He's been reading along and told DH he'd like the come to the Fling, so heck YA! (Insert evil laugh - Attention all Enablers!!! We gotta a fresh one! LOL!)

Welcome aboard!

Paula

• piscesfish
    13 years ago

Carol and Chandra,

I have eggplants for both of you (and one to spare). I would love some tomatoes, Carol. I'm so looking forward to the Fling!

Kelly

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

Tigerdawn,

I think I'll have volunteer seedlings of black-eyed susan vine I can pot up and bring you. Recent fires, fire-related VFD activity and the combination of very high winds/high heat have kept me out of my garden for the last 4 or 5 days. I don't remember seeing any black-eyed susan vine sprouts up last week, but I bet they're up now and I'll look for some to dig up today. Black-eyed susan vine has reseeded here every year since I planted it about a decade ago, so there's bound to be some out there.

I'll let you know tonight if I found any after I finally get to spend a whole day in my garden today!

Dawn

• biradarcm
    13 years ago

Kelly, I will have some tomatoes for you too.

Dawn, I would like to try one black-eyed susan vine on patio pot if you have extra.

Thank you -Chandra

• Lisa_H OK
    13 years ago

Dawn....do you have more black eyed susan vine? :) I'd love some as well. Are you bringing any datura this year?

Lisa

• seeker1122
    13 years ago

I didn't get an email.
    I have luffa seeds.
    and a few more things on the list.

• dodemeister
    13 years ago

tree, are you set up to receive emails directly from this site? that could be part of it. i can always forward p-mac your email address if you want me to.

dody :)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

I didn't find any black-eyed susan vine sprouts today, but I'll keep looking and maybe find some tomorrow. I'll let y'all know if I find any to dig up and pot up to bring. Usually they're all over the place, but sometimes they don't pop up until May.
    Lisa, I can bring daturas, but they will be just the common white ones. I didn't grow yellow or purple ones last year.

Dawn

• tigerdawn
    13 years ago

My Angel Trumpet came back from the root, or it only reseeded right there. Either way, I'd love another.

Thanks for looking for the black eyed susan vine!

• seedmama
    13 years ago

I'm interested in cuttings for some landscaping shrubs. I'm in no position to be picky, so I'd be interested in most. I wouldn't expect you to get them started or pot them up. If you cut them the morning of the Fling brought them in a coffee can of water that would be great. If you had the time to let me know in advance what you might be bringing, I could have the rooting containers sitting here ready, along with the rooting hormone, and could stick them in as soon as I got home from the Fling. Any would be much appreciated. I should add that the fire hit sun, shade and part shade areas, and I have sandy, well drained soil.

• p_mac
    13 years ago

Seedmama - remind me!!!I have offspring of 3 different flowering shrubs that I have in the front of our house. I'm going to be eliminating them anyway so you're welcome to them.

Paula

• Lisa_H OK
    13 years ago

Seedmama, I'll look, I bet I have some seedlings.

Lisa

• MiaOKC
    13 years ago

Seedmama, I have lots of shrubs in my yard and would be happy to bring you cuttings. This is my first time, so I just need to cut at a 45 degree angle above a leaf node, right? How long should the branch be?

I have standard nandinas, dwarf nandinas (firepower and mini-standard-look), special more-purple nandinas (dwarf and standard size), variegated ligustrum, plain green privet, burning bush, tall standard semi-evergreen and short variegated euyonomus (think the short are emerald n gold and emerald gaity), flowering quince, lime green spirea with pink flowers, tall lorapetalum, a creeping dwarf lorapetalum, something I think is a forsythia (transplanted from another property I own where it was in the shade and very pathetic), indian hawthorne and those small dwarf (1 ft) hollies that have no thorns. Can't remember the name.

Just let me know what/if you would like any of these and I'll add them to my post-it of things to bring to the fling. I also have Dawn down for some Mexican feather grass and Jammie down for beebalm and any perennials (phlox will be in your future, Jammie!)

• tigerdawn
    13 years ago

I'll have purple and white Rose of Sharon seedlings. I can bring forsythia too if you'd like.

• Lisa_H OK
    13 years ago

Dawn, the white ones would be perfect!

• lee_vulture_donlon
    13 years ago

Hello, all. New gardener here from Blanchard area. I'd love it if the wife and I could come to the Spring Fling and meet some local gardeners. We're trying Square Foot gardening. Going wild on tomato selections! If all our plants grow and produce, we'll need help eating all these!! (Fingers crossed that we're overwhelmed!)

Lee and Dale Donlon

• p_mac
    13 years ago

Welcome, Lee & Dale!!!! We have several here who do or have tried the Square Foot method. And wild on tomatoes??? Boy oh boy......you've come to the right place!

I'll send you an e-mail shortly with the pertinent info for the Fling. Thanks for posting!

Paula

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

Hi Lee and Dale,

It is nice to see you posting on the forum and I'm looking forward to meeting you at the Spring Fling!

We have a lot of tomato maniacs here so you should feel right at home. I think all of us have the same goal every year....to raise "too many" tomatoes.

There are some square foot gardeners here, and others like me who use some SFG spacing and some John Jeavons' Biointensive-type spacing.

We discuss all kinds of gardening activity here, and watch the weather closely too since everything we do in our landscapes and edible gardens is affected in many ways by the weather.

P-Mac, It looks like it is going to be a great Spring Fling and it is only 8 days away now.

I can't wait!

Dawn

• redbirdroad
    13 years ago

whew, what a relief! I haven't been here in a while and was afraid we had missed the Fling. We are looking forward to meeting everyone, but failed miserably at pretty much everything I planted this spring. Last years' seeds? We have just bought a two-acre wilderness that DH Ben is working hard on taming, and will one day be beautiful... We'll come with lots of enthusiasm and Albanian cole slaw, but sadly no plants to share...

• seedmama
    13 years ago

Joellen, You are so kind. I have just been out to look at my crepe myrtle, and it is sprouting back from the roots. That's encouraging because although i won't be able to share this year, I will be able in the future.

Lisa and p-mac, You guys are always so good to me. What would I do with out you?

Mia, what a lovely selection of shrubs. Some I recognize, and some I don't. I'd like to do a little homework, and send you an email if that's okay.

Tigerdawn, I think you are offering me ROS and forsythis, but I'm not sure it's me you are talking to and don't want to embarrass myself by being presumptious. I like all of those, and would be very excited to have them.

Thanks all!

• bettycbowen
    13 years ago

I'll have a small number of Armenian snake melons that I hope will have true leaves by then. I'll know this weekend what else I can bring. Hopefully done Laura bush petunia and tansy and pink tall garden phlox. I'm mostly hoping for eggplant.

• biradarcm
    13 years ago

Bettycbowen, How Armenian snake melons tastes? Is that similar to melon or cucumber? If you have an extra, I would like to plant one. I will bring you a eggplant. -Chandra

• tigerdawn
    13 years ago

Yes, Seedmama, I was talking to you! I wish I had more shrubs to share but that's all I have growing! There is a possibility I'll have white pampas grass. My friend dug it up last week I think but didn't do anything else with it. It might be dead, but if it isn't I'll bring some.

• Lisa_H OK
    13 years ago

Seedmama, I did find a Fairy rose branch that had rooted. I saved it for you if you want it. I think I spotted a crape myrtle. I'll have to go find it again.

Lisa

• tigerdawn
    13 years ago

Seedmama, I don't suppose you'd like some horrible invasive honeysuckle? LOL! We have it all over the park by my house.

Hey, I bet I can find other shrub seedlings in the park too! I'm going to have to go for a walk with my trowel and a bucket...

• cjlambert
    13 years ago

I am so disappointed. We're moving this week, and there's no way I can be gone all day Saturday - in good conscience, anyway. So, I've gotta miss the fling, and miss meeting all of you and enjoying the fun!

Have a great fling! :(
    Carol

• seedmama
    13 years ago

Tigerdawn,

I believe I'll pass on the honeysuckle, but thanks anyway.

Carol, we will miss you!

Lisa, I have just the right spot for the rose, thanks!

• lee_vulture_donlon
    13 years ago

I second the "horribly invasive honeysuckle". I wanted some for a trellis outside the bedroom window ... it's taken over the front (north) planting bed. That's my best tomato growing area. Or should I say, it was. Razzin-Frazzin honeysuckle steals all the water and sunlight. In the fall, I'll move the wisteria out to the NW corner of the yard and clear that shade-maker from the tomato area, too.

Lee

• MiaOKC
    13 years ago

Of course, Seedmama! Email away.

• shankins123
    13 years ago

Has anyone volunteered to bring nametags? With this many people (and all of our online "names"), we really should have a nametag that states our GW name and our "real" first name...maybe where we're from, too? Like:

Shankins123
    Sharon
    The Village (OKC)

If no one has volunteered to bring them, I'll be glad to...along with a couple of Sharpies. Paula, how many do you think I would need to get?

Sharon

• MiaOKC
    13 years ago

Hi Sharon, I'm in the Village too... by the Y off of Penn. Looking forward to meeting you at the Fling!

• seedmama
    13 years ago

Paula,
    Are you renting a Port-a-Potty again this year? I remember we all chipped in last year. That's a contribution those of us who aren't bringing lots can make.

• p_mac
    13 years ago

wow....so many questions!!! And you guys think I'm paying attention to details??? LOL!!!

Sharon - Bless Your Heart!!! And I don't mean that in a bad way at all!!! Last year, I tried to meet everyone at the driveway to introduce myself...and give them a name tag with their screen name also, along with any others they brought with them. Just ask Imp...it really got comical trying to spell everyone's name and then their screen name. GOOD TIMES! I intend...(read "best laid plans...") to do the same thing this year. I'll buy the tags if you would like to volunteer to take over when you get here??? That would be a TREMENDOUS help!!!

And Seedmama...yes, ma'am!!! I've rented from the same company as last year. VERY clean and useful. It works well for everyone so they don't have to hem-haw around and ask..."where's the bathroom?". If anyone wants to contribute to help off-set that cost, it would be very appreciated. But I've got to say that I know/knew that was just part of trying to provide the most comfortable setting for my garden buddies. We can handle it but help is greatly appreciated.

OMG...is it REALLY just less than a week???? REALLY??? You're coming??? I'm so excited!!! I can HARDLY WAIT!!! It's almost better than Christmas!!!

And Carol II - (cjlambert)...so sorry you're going to be having to unpack boxes instead of being with us. But I've done it...it's really yucky. We'll be thinking of you and maybe next year?

And I think we're going to have to start a Thread III...because the closer it gets........?????

Countdown REALLY begins!!!!

Paula

• seeker1122
    13 years ago

I think i've got my email fixed.
    My email is treepfs@gmail if not.

• biradarcm
    13 years ago

Anyone of you have extra Ildi and Goliath? Just one plant each will do. I don't know why these two tomatoes seeds did not germinate. Thank you -Chandra

• p_mac
    13 years ago

Chandra - I'll look to see if I have any Early Goliath left. Would that work? I don't think I have any Italian Goliath left over. I'll let you know with a PM if I have any. Dawn may have an extra Ildi....I know she really likes their flavor.

Only 5 more days!

Paula

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Chandra, Which Goliath are you looking for? I will have to check when its not raining (if that ever happens). The one I am most likely to have is Bush Goliath, but I may also have another.

• shankins123
    13 years ago

Paula,

SURE...if you're sure you want to buy the tags, I'll try to get everyone "tagged"...what do you think about a small card table...to fill out nametags and to put slips in a bucket for the doorprize? How have we done this before? Did someone bring the little double-ticket thingies? I (and my heretofore-volunteered-but-not-yet-notified helper) could give each person a nametag...fill it out to receive your doorprize ticket. That would get us tagged, and each person would get one doorprize ticket.
    This sounds so wonderful...BUT...I have no little card table, no tickets, probably could come up with a bucket to put them in, though :~)

What do you think?
    Sharon

• User
    13 years ago

Hi everybody!

Jlhart76- im excited about the mint thanks!

Chandra- Could I claim one of your toothache plants?

Seeker1122- Loufa seeds? If you have some to spare I'd love a few.

I have the following things so far that have survived potting up about a week ago

9 Lialac bush-lets
    1 Cedar tree seedling
    2 Redbud tree
    4 purple iris
    1 mystery tomato plant-from fallen tom. last year
    - I could proly narrow it down but wheres the fun in that.

terra

• maubles
    13 years ago

Sharon,

We could even do single tickets and just put names on them to draw? I don't know how it's been done in the past, we'll have to wait on Paula for that, but I can definitely bring a small card table and I can pick up some sort of tickets or something to use for the door prize drawing.

Michelle

• biradarcm
    13 years ago

Paula/Carol, Any Goliath will do. I hope Dwan will have extra Ildi.

Terra, you will have a toothache!

Thanks -Chandra

• p_mac
    13 years ago

OH BOY! OH BOY! You guys are getting as excited as I am, aren't you???

I still have a very large roll of "double" tickets for the door prize drawing. Each person gets one after they put on their name tag. The identical duplicate goes in a bucket. (I've got one of those too.) This roll of tickets is soooo big that I'll be able to hand it over to whoever does the Fling next year, along with my tiara, sash and septor. LOL! (j/k...but not about the tickets!)

Terra - remind me, but I have some extra loffa seeds. I think they're also called "vining okra".

Off to plant some more tomotoes & peppers!

Paula

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting