Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
p_mac

2014 Spring Fling/Swap

p_mac
10 years ago

Greetings, All!!

It's time for us to plan our Spring Fling/Swap for 2014. DH & I are looking forward to hosting again this year! It will be held Saturday, April 26, 2014 from 11:00 AM (or when you get here) until 2:00 PM (or whenever you need/want to leave). If you've never attended one of our gatherings, please mark your calendars!! It's going to be great to see old friends again also. Now, let's do a brief outline of the totally loose-structured Garden Party!

The purpose of this Meet & Greet is to exchange extra plants, materials, share stories and tips, attach a name to a face and even squeeze in a pot-luck lunch! Somehow there is always more than enough food. For fun (like we need more?!) you can participate in the "door prize" exchange which can be ANYTHING garden, growing, yard or landscape related. It can be purchased or handmade. (Who can forget Telow's gorgeous carving??? Or the painted gords?? Or Dawn's Hab Gold Jelly?) Participation isn't mandatory, but it's a LOT of fun. We draw for gifts by numbered ticket. Someone volunteers to call numbers and someone volunteers to play Vanna White.

Who can come? Everyone! Well, almost. I think the main requirement is an interest in gardening, whether you are 8 or 80. Children are welcome, as are your mother, in-laws, brother, neighbor or friends, etc. But please, only one car load. Heh!

What do you bring? (And Tree has already started a thread about this.) Any extra plants, rootings or seeds. Got extra pots sitting around but can't throw them away because they're too good? Bring 'em! Mia graciously brought a load (and I mean LOAD) of bamboo one year for plant stakes! You get the idea. Also bring a chair for yourselves or blanket, sunscreen and your contribution to the meal.

Ken & I will provide the space, the tableware (plates, napkins, cups, eating utensils, etc.) as well as iced tea, water and probably apple juice or lemonade. I've arranged for a Porta-Potty also. This wonderful company hasn't gone up in price since I first rented one 5 years ago. The price is $90 and any buck or two contribution to help off-set that cost is very much appreciated. There will be a can provided nailed to a tree for donations. It's a "pot for a pot", if you will.

Where? Out at the Ol' DH and p-mac Homestead of which I will provide a map 2 weeks before the event. We have a couple acres in rural NE Norman with plenty of parking. Gathering will be out under the Redbuds. We are about 10 to 15 minutes from either I-35 or I-40, out between Lake Stanley Draper and Lake Thunderbird. I also suggest you wear comfortable, sturdy shoes. We have LOTS of sand out here - as well as a few stickers.

I have tables for the food and other needs. There will be a clearly marked areas for "Offerings" to share, "Door Prizes" and "Pre-arranged trades" for those that arrange for specific items.

To sign up, it's a 2-step process. First - post here! Let's start this party! What are you bringing and what do you need? Second - shoot me an e-mail from "my page" to tell me how many and give me your personal e-mail. I'll need this to get a map to you. I'm sure everyone understands the safety in not disclosing the location publicly. Yes, sadly it's a crazy world sometimes.

Have I left anything out? Are you ready? Let the fun begin!!!

Paula

Comments (64)

• oldokie
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My wife and I would like to come and meet you guys. I read this forum almost everyday. This will be our first opportunity rub elbows and swap stories. I don't have any plants to bring this year but we can bring some food. This is very exciting Thank you

• shankins123
    9 years ago

Great, OldOkie! We look forward to meeting you and your wife, and anyone else that's kind of new...bring yourselves, bring some chairs, bring food to share...anything else like door prizes and/or plants is a bonus - we do have lots of stories to tell and advice to get or give - it's going to be a great time for all!

Sharon

• seeker1122
    9 years ago

Does anyone happen to have an extra toothache plant?
    Went to plant some and my seed pouch must have
    spilled out cuz I don't keep empty seed packets.

With all my oral work it would be nice the pain pills they give me make me sick and brain dead. For 2 months I've been a lump on a couch and have only been on my scooter I think 1 time. I'm allergic to all meds, Dayquil knocks me out.
    If someone has extra seeds I'll buy them. Don't want to pay S&H for 1 thing.
    Thanks all
    Tree

• oldbusy1
    9 years ago

Guess I'll miss this one too. Just too much of a drive from se ok. I'm sure the gatherings are a hoot .

• oldbusy1
    9 years ago

Guess I'll miss this one too. Just too much of a drive from se ok. I'm sure the gatherings are a hoot .

• KB21
    9 years ago

Yay! I'm so excited to go this year. Thank you so much for hosting. I'm also not sure exactly what I'll bring but probably a door prize and food. I'm really looking forward to it!
    Kristin

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Lisak, Hi! (emitting loud squeal of delight here) I was wondering if you had abandoned us. Glad to see you back.

Paula, We had a couple of bad weeks with fires a while back, but everything here is so greened up in general that I really think the worst is over. I haven't been to a single fire all week! Woo hoo! (Granted, it is only Wednesday, but I'm going to keep thinking positive.) So, don't worry. If anyone has trouble getting through to your email, they can email me through GW and I'll forward it to you just like I have in the past.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone who will be attending their first Spring Fling. I think my first one was in 2005, and it seems like I miss about every third one, but Tim (who isn't a gardener himself) and I enjoy every single one we attend.

Busy1, It is quite a drive for you, but I'm going to keep hoping you make it to one of the Spring Flings one of these days. We've been talking with you for so long on this forum, I feel like we've already met you but it really is fun to meet everyone in person.

Dawn

• nowyousedum
    9 years ago

Found out yesterday that my daughter has planned my grandson's 2nd birthday party on the same day as the Fling. Oh pooh. Wouldn't miss his birthday for nuthin'! So sorry to miss the Fling, though. I look forward to meeting you all in the future. Have fun!

• denweave
    9 years ago

I know I am new but I would love to join if it is okay with you all. I be glad to bring some food and door prize. So much fun to learn from each of you and chat.

Thanks,
    Denweave

• soonergrandmom
    9 years ago

Busy1, I think you ought to saddle up and come. You would have fun.

• seeker1122
    9 years ago

I was told greenbean bundles would be nasty after a couple of hours..
    Does anyone have experience with bundles?
    Now I don't know what to bring if that's the case.

• soonergrandmom
    9 years ago

Tree, How about 3 bean salad? You could make it the day before, transport in a cooler and serve cold. If you are coming on your bike and a cooler isn't practical, then you could always send Lisa a check ahead of time to contribute to the 'rented potty', and just skip the food. Not everyone can contribute to everything, but most everyone can contribute something to the gathering each year. We just want to see you continue to come.

I have to carefully select what food items I bring because of the distance that I travel. The first year that Paula hosted the Fling, I furnished the plates, napkins, forks, spoons, etc. Paula was a little nervous about the entire thing that year, and I added to that nervousness by being almost the last one to arrive. LOL As the lunch time approached, I think she was already visualizing having to run out and buy eating utensils. I did manage to get there before it was time to eat, but I'm sure I didn't do her nerves any good. I tried to make up for it the next year by mailing a check early to the potty fund. LOL

Last year the food was easier for me with the Fling in the Tulsa area and my travel time was significantly reduced so I was able to take a tenderloin and homemade hot rolls. Each of us has differing circumstances to deal with and they vary from year to year because our conditions change. Just do what you can do without stress, and come have fun at the gathering.

• wulfletons
    9 years ago

Paula,
    Unfortunately we won't be in town, but I sent you an email about some extra packets of seeds that I'd like to add to the "give away" table.
    Krista

• LikesFerns
    9 years ago

Even though I am new, I'm very excited about the get together. Just hoping I won't have to work through it. But if not, I'll be there with food and a doorprize. Since we just moved it, I don't even know what I have yet in the yard, but I'll be there barring work.

• baabaamilker
    9 years ago

Wish I could come, but in laws are coming in that day.

I'm new to the forum and to Oklahoma, but not to gardening. We are military and just arrived here 6 months ago from Germany (where I had a large garden lent to me by the Germans). I'm used to gardening in New Hampshire and Texas but not here in Oklahoma. Seems like the main difference between here and Texas that I may have to deal with would be the winds.

I would love to come to the fling just to be able to pick some experienced brains.

• shankins123
    9 years ago

baabaamilker,

You should come and bring the in-laws!

One year we had one of our faithful (Chandra, who has since moved to another part of the States) bring his visiting in-laws/parents(?) from India. They didn't speak English, but we all had a good time anyway. You know you really don't want to wait until next year, so you should come, even if it's just for an hour or so (if you're at all within driving distance).
    There are many brains to be picked :-D

Sharon

• sheri_nwok
    9 years ago

Hi Paula, I will be there. Im so glad I didnt miss it this year. Thank you for hosting again this year!

Also, if anybody has an early wonder tomato plants, I don't have anything but seeds to trade, but I would gladly pay for the plants. Thanks

• p_mac
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey, Sherri! Good to know! Gotcha down.

To all you others, please make sure you shoot me an e-mail so I can send you a map!!! I'm in the process of compiling the list. I've received several but there are a few of you that haven't been here that posted you'll attend and I don't have your e-mail. I'll post your screen names hopefully tomorrow to let you know I still need that info from you.

Easter is only a week away...and hopefully our LAST freeze is this week....I'm so looking forward to seeing you ALL in 13 days!!!!

Paula

• seeker1122
    9 years ago

I will bring 5 bean salad.
    Thanks soonergrandmom great idea for a food traveling on a bike
    Tree

• seeker1122
    9 years ago

I will bring 5 bean salad.
    Thanks soonergrandmom great idea for a food traveling on a bike
    Tree

• soonergrandmom
    9 years ago

Tree, You are welcome.....now to decide what I will bring. LOL

• p_mac
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, Peeps! I just a few moments ago sent an e-mail with a map link to those of you that are new...or might need a reminder map. I didn't send it to those of you that....(like Moni said) .... can find your way here "with your eyes closed". But if you need a refresher or reminder...just holler! Unfortunately, when my computer tower was stolen last June - that saved map I had went with it. I had to re-create and ...dang it....programs have changed. Also, here's a hint...look for that familiar garden-witch out by the drive. (No - it's not me...but you'll know it when you see it!)

KB21 - I don't think I have an e-mail for you so please go to my page and send me your e-mail address?

I've got a head-count of 35 right now...but I know from experience that number will change. One year we had close to 90....and I think we had almost 50 the first year we hosted (2009?) So it's not too late to join in on the Garden Party.

We will provide a brisket as our contribution to the meal. Maybe that will help anyone else decide what to bring for our lunch.

T minus 11 days and counting......!!!!!!!

Paula

• amunk01
    9 years ago

Paula, im planning on bringing cole slaw (vinegar dressing not creamy) and some little sub-sandwiches to contribute! Also, is beer acceptable for this shin dig or are we keeping this party alcohol-free? Im happy to bring some yummy brew if anyone will partake but definitely dont want to offend anyone or overstep any boundaries. :)

• amunk01
    9 years ago

Sorry, I somehow always manage to double post messages!

Alexis

This post was edited by amunk01 on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 16:37

• carsons_mimi
    9 years ago

Let's see. ....hubby's time off request , check. Decide on what plants to bring, check. Arrange for kidnapping grandchildren, check. Door prizes and food , check. Hmmmm, now what did I forget? Oh yeah, RSVP 2 adults and 2 children. Ugh, I need a keeper.

• seeker1122
    9 years ago

Paula you will have to call and just leave a message on the number I'm giving you. I just need the street name ya know exit.
    I know your bussy but Ii's been 4 years.

• seeker1122
    9 years ago

sorry my number is 368-0283. Dang don't hit your head.
    Tree

• Lauren M
    9 years ago

I amazingly don't have work so I should be coming =) Not sure what I'm cooking yet, but I'll keep you posted. This is my first year gardening and I don't really have seedlings to spare, but I do have a bunch of seeds. All from Baker Creek. If anyone is looking for anything specific let me know. I was thinking of bringing the lemon squash, yardlong bean, and crane melon seeds. I've also got a ton of herb seeds. Ranging from catmint to lemongrass and a lot more of the hard to find types.

• shankins123
    9 years ago

Hope this isn't a duplicate - not sure what just happened (!)

At any rate, I'll be bringing baked beans to go with Paula's brisket, plus money for the port-a-potty, and a door prize.

Just one adult - also note that Katie is coming with her husband, Greg...and I believe they're bringing their friend, Daniel. She keeps forgetting to RSVP, so...here it is :-D.

Can't wait - see you guys on Saturday,

Sharon

• mrsfrodo
    9 years ago

Is it too late to RSVP? I'm hoping to be there- with my neighbor Susan and potentially my DH (who will probably cancel at the last minute).

Don't know what it would be, but I would bring some kind of dish.

Hope to see you all Saturday!

Andria

• p_mac
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey, Andria!!! I was wondering where you were! Not too late at all. And I have a ball for you. You left it the last time.

And thanks Sharon! I'd hoped Katie & crew would be there too!

I'm ashamed to admit that I've had epic crop fail on the plants I intended to share. Blech. Lesson learned "do not throw fertilizer on new leaves and not take the time to rinse and water well". They die. And they stay green.

Hippiehomemaker - can you shoot me an e-mail from my page to give me your e-mail? I need to send you a map.

And Tree - it's Franklin.

See you all Saturday!!!!

• seedmama
    9 years ago

Hi All,

I've been holding out secret hope I would be able to sneak in at the last minute. Alas, Seedling 2 is playing t-ball (Can I just say how cut that whole thing is?) and they decided yesterday to sign up for a tournament this weekend. So much for planning. I've got 6 flats of cascarones, and already bought the broccoli for salad. I really thought I was going to sneak in a visit.

I hope ya'll have a great time. I'll be thinking of you!

• shankins123
    9 years ago

Paula....I did (finally) send you your "old" maps - hope you got that e-mail.... :-D

Sharon

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Seedmama,

We'll miss you, but I bet you'll be having a bundle of fun at the tournament. How can Seedling 2 be old enough to be playing ball? Aaack! We're aging, we're aging. Little kids playing t-ball is just the cutest thing.

Dawn

• p_mac
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sharon - Got 'em! You have no idea how much I appreciate having those!!!! Thank you!

HippieHomemaker - will be sending you a copy of those maps shortly!

Seedmama - DH says to just go ahead and drop that broc salad by on your way to the tournament. hehe! I'd bet that Dawn, Soonergrandmom and Carsonsmimi will help make sure it doesn't go to waste! Seriously, we will miss you...but as every gardener always says...."there's always next year!"

Yikes! Just realized I don't have enough name tags!

And for those of you that have inquired about Plan B in the event of bad weather...yes, we have a large metal garage and covered decks both front and back. But I really think the bad weather will hold off until later in the day. That being said - I'll invite our resident meteorologist wxcrawler (Lee) to chime in if he thinks different.

T-MINUS 3 DAYS!!!

Paula

• seeker1122
    9 years ago

What does everyone think about a bike/possibly stormy ride this Saturday?
    I will bring 2 door prizes, Food and money for the Potty.
    Dh will be with me.
    He has no choice.
    Can't wait to see everyone and meet new people.

Thanks Paula for that fact. My phone was stolen 30 minutes after I posted.

• p_mac
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey - Tree - Ain't no thang. You and B should be fine on the bike...but I'll keep an eye on things and politely tell you when you need to shag your happy hiney's on out.

As I will all the others. I want everyone to be able to come and go SAFELY. This is Oklahoma...so we all need to stay "weather aware"....but I'm not going to cancel anything because it can all change within 30 minutes.

Over and OUT for tonight..but I'll be watching this thread closely the next several days.

Paula

This post was edited by p-mac on Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 23:08

• Lisa_H OK
    9 years ago

Seedmama could drop off the salad and I could send her on her way with her plant and a package of zuchetta seed :) It is all her fault I grew it!

• p_mac
    Original Author
    9 years ago

shawneegardener - I need your e-mail address so I can send you a map! I received your message. Garden Web has a setting that allows one to block their e-mail so I couldn't see yours.

Anyone else need directions/map??? I know several long time members know their way here, but I can understand needing a refresher.

Looks like the weather is going to be breezy but the rain is going to hold off until the evening!!!

• lisakeel1
    9 years ago

Paula,
    I sent you an e-mail. Guess you didn't get it. Please send a map.
    Thanks,
    Lisak

• p_mac
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lisa K - I've sent it to the yahoo address I had. Let me know if you don't get it!

• MiaOKC
    9 years ago

Getting so excited for tomorrow, all! My baby seedlings are still not really hardened off, and haven't been potted up, so I am thinking of leaving them at home. Besides food, here's some things I could bring if anyone is interested - just shout out and I'll begin accumulating this afternoon. I'm still pretty limited because things are just getting started in our new house's beds, so most of my favorite things are not anywhere near the size needed to divide.

Bamboo canes (for staking)
    Lamb's ear
    irises of surprise colors
    elephant garlic
    monkey grass
    various seed packets

• luvncannin
    9 years ago

Mia I would love some bamboo. this is so exciting, I can hardly wait!
    I am bringing some small tomato plants. They are hardened off and different varieties, but my peppers have to be left behind.
    I will be bringing dessert and door prizes also !!!
    Kim

• amunk01
    9 years ago

Mia, I would love some bamboo! I am bringing my lonely extra tomato plant, a husky cherry red. And I have a few extra ornamental pepper plants too, tequila sunrise and poinsettia, I believe. Flowers i'm bringing include marigolds and Arizona blanket flowers, sage plants, and little mosquito plant cuttings I rooted a few weeks ago. Not sure how fast those grow over the summer so those may be kinda worthless, but I'll bring them just in case anyone wants a miniature plant lol. I'll have a silly little door prize, $$ for the potty and food of course! I can't wait to meet everyone! The chairs are stacked by the back door and ready to go!

Alexis

This post was edited by amunk01 on Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 13:37

• soonergrandmom
    9 years ago

Anyone want sand plum trees?

• p_mac
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Carol - I'd say yes - but as you know I've already got my own thicket. Bring a few anyway if you don't have to go to any trouble. And speaking of fruit-bearing plants - I haven't dug up the gooseberries yet but I will before you get here...or leave. Less "shock" time is better.

About to put the bad-boy brisket on to start cooking. Kim - I'm so glad you said you're bringing a dessert! I picked up a large tray of cookies today because no one mentioned something sweet. Score! We've got choices!

I'm getting so excited for tomorrow! I've spent today prepping.....I look forward to this more than the first blooms!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Paula, I'm bringing cookies too because when I was at the store this afternoon (likely while you were posting that you picked up a tray of cookies, lol), I was hungry and cookies sounded good. : ) I'm also bringing a big bowl of mixed fresh fruit. I bought red seedless grapes, green seedless grapes, pineapple, strawberries and 3 kinds of melon.

Of course, I'm bringing Tim, door prizes, $$ for the potty and a few plants as well.

I won't list every type of plant I'm bringing, but there's 8 flats of plants so far, including:

-- about 100 tomato plants (representing virtually all the varieties on my 2014 Grow List)

--five kinds of sweet bell peppers---mini bell peppers that mature to yellow or red and full-sized bells that mature to red, orange or yellow

--the smallest hot pepper plants y'all ever will see but they are only a month old and fully hardened off---just tiny. They are mostly jalapenos (Early Jalapeno, Gigantea, Grande', Big Guy and probably Biker Billy), There might be an Ancho Gigantea plant or two in the flat of hot peppers.

--some herbs, including Smokey Bronze Fennel, Florence Fennel, "Vierling" Dill for sure and some sort of basil, I think...and maybe some parsley

--some flowers, including Outhouse Hollyhocks (mixed colors), Rose Mallow, Lion's Tail (tall, mint family, orange flowers) and Balsam.

--A flower used more like an herb, specifically as a tea plant. It is Hibiscus sabdariffa and the calyx's from its flowers are used in tea--they put the Zing in Red Zinger tea. I mostly grow it just because it is a beautiful plant.

I won't know until we load up the car in the morning if there's room for more flats of plants, but if there is room, I'll cram in some more plants.

Looking forward to seeing everyone and so happy the severe weather won't start up until the Spring Fling is over!

Dawn

• p_mac
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Squeaaaalllll! Dawn - I just sent you a message about the same time you were typing the above!!!! Fine minds- same circles. Heh! Not surprising we both bought cookies. This officially gives me permission to sneak a few on the tray I bought!

The brisket is smelling soooooo good that I may have trouble sleeping. It's on "low" in the crock pot so that it will at least be tender. Grandson is here with us for the event...hope the brisket smell doesn't make sleeping difficult for a 10 yr old male! ha!

Ok, going to bed now. Super, super, SUPER stoked to see you all tomorrow!!!!! It's really officially SPRING now for me. I get to spend some time with my garden peeps! It don't get better than this.

Paula

• KB21
    9 years ago

I'm super bummed, I won't be able to make it. One of my dogs had emergency surgery this week and I need to stay home and keep an eye on him... I hope you all have a great time and hopefully I'll meet you all at the next fling!
    -Kristin

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Kristin, I hope your dog is okay. Furry children are as important as Plant Children, you know.

We look forward to seeing you at next year's Spring Fling.

Dawn

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company