Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting Garlic

Posted by okoutdrsman none (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 22:33

Okay, I know it's probably not the best time to transplant garlic, but I find myself in a situation where I had to dig up and transplant about 45 plants. My in-laws had a crew come in and do a bunch of cleaning and clearing out on their place and were fixing to mow everything down.
Not sure which variety it is, but it had been shared between a few family members, so I figured what the heck.
I stuck 39 in the ground and sent the other 6 to the SIL.
The plan is to let it establish and not harvest this year.
Any ideas or suggestions on what to do or not to do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting Garlic

Just keep it watered when conditions are dry. I suspect you will get smaller bulbs. But they will still be usable. I would recommend digging them when the tops die and replanting, so that you get the larger bulbs in the spring of 2015. Garlic is pretty hardy.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o

October is the "right" time to plant garlic but we have always replanted in July when we dig. I would do it as George says. You probably won't get better or bigger heads if you leave them undisturbed. Dig and choose the largest cloves to replant for next year.

o

I've never taken the time to learn the art of producing good crops of garlic.
I had planned on just leaving it, but digging and replanting makes sense and will take care of the problem of not being able obtain seed stock at the right time of year. The plan this year was to order some and plant in the fall.
Guess I still have that option, if I want to try some different varieties.
Water won't be a problem. I'll be expanding my automatic watering system to include the front garden, this year.
Any recommendations on mulch? I have pine straw, wood chips and oak leaves onhand.

o

Pine straw, wood chips and oak leaves are all good mulches for garlic. It's your choice as to which looks best. It might be easier to rake off the pine straw and oak leaves when it comes time to dig.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here