Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrholme

Spring Fling ideas?

chrholme
11 years ago

Hello all!

If I remember correctly (please correct me if not) we are needinga new venue this year?? Have any plans been discussed or put in place?

If this is indeed true and I haven't lost my mind, I would like to be involved! I have a potential site :)

Comments (46)

• joellenh
    11 years ago

Trees,

What venue do you have in mind?

I am tentatively raising my hand to host this year, but if something else is better/more convenient, I will gladly step down.

I am in the Tulsa area (Jenks), and I am unsure what kind of hardship it would post on the majority of members to travel that far.

What I have to offer:

A large semi-flat, fully fenced yard. We sit on one acre, much of which is covered by the house, garden, and play set. We likely have a half acre or so of flat unused yard space for the fling. We have a large wooden playset for the kids. I THINK we have plenty of parking. We live on a Cul de Sac with two other houses. Just across the street, there are roads and roads and roads in an unbuilt neighborhood. People frequently park there for parties.

What I don't have: an ideal location? People can weigh in on what works and won't work for them. My garden is EMPTY this year. I am a little bit ashamed about that, but I am not going to do another ambitious garden until irrigation is in place.

I am TOTALLY open to other ideas, and want the best possible place for the forum as a whole. If this is not my place, I am totally okay with that. And if it IS my place, I am happy about that too.

Here is a Google Map of my site.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• p_mac
    11 years ago

And being the host of the last coupla gatherings - I just want to add that I will back whoever decides to host this year's gathering. I've got tickets for door prizes as well as tables, drink containers and "just my experience" knowledge to pass on.

And there's more! Dawn/Soonergrandma have always contributed greatly to this gathering as well as many of our other members so please...anyone...just chime in!

Let's get this party started!

Paula

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

Well of course Tulsa sounds good to me, but I will probably show up no matter where it is. Not sure I will have plants to share this year, but I can cook (big time) to help with the party. Happy to send a few bucks for a rented potty as well.

Jo, I know you must be sad about your garden after having all of your things stolen.

• Macmex
    11 years ago

I might be able to come if it's in Jenks. No promises, but it's much more likely. Will have to see the dates.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• chrholme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jo,

I have our neighborhood clubhouse with a kitchen, potties, basketball court,pool and parking here in Edmond as well as my house right across the street. It sounds like there are quite a few people that would be able to make it to your place but might have trouble making it all the way here, so maybe I'll throw my name in for next year!

Is there anything I can help with? :)

• Lisa_H OK
    11 years ago

Trees, it sounds like you have a nice place for it. I live in the OKC area. Obviously my first vote would be for around here, but I know that the east side of the state usually has to do all the driving :)

Lisa

• MiaOKC
    11 years ago

Depending on the dates, I'm game for anything. Is Jenks really that much further than Paula's house? :-)

• shankins123
    11 years ago

Depending on where one lives in OKC, Jenks might be farther than traveling to Paula's...plus, there would be the toll cost (not sure how much that is).
    Speaking personally (as that is how I speak, generally, lol)...because I LOVE SF...I would come anyway and hope others would too (even our Moore/Norman bunch)...Dawn, would that add a whole lot to your drive (can you bypass OKC and come on up)??

Sharon

• MiaOKC
    11 years ago

Sharon, I kid, I kid! This city girl did feel like she might be entering the Twilight Zone when heading on the back roads to Paula's, though. One long, sloping hill after another... wait, didn't I see that three-legged dog a few minutes back? That tree looks familiar... am I going in circles? Wasn't that tractor parked by the road a few miles ago? AAAAUUGGGHHH! I blame Google Maps for giving me crazy directions and city living for making the serene country drive feel like de ja vu!

I'm open to sharing a ride with some of our locals/Village peeps, too... did you and Lisa drive together last year? Whoever has the biggest vehicle (for hauling loot!) could be the driver. I have a Toyota Rav-4 mini-SUV and a PikePass and I'm not afraid to use them!

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

Toll between OKC and Tulsa is $4, so $8 in tolls for you OKC folks. I think it would be nice to rotate between the metro areas when possible. We would probably get a few people from the eastern side of the State that don't always get to attend.

I just have to say this....The toll is the same no matter which way you travel, just means different people are paying it.
    From my house I pay for the Turner and the Will Rogers.

If Dawn came the 'back' way (no tolls) then she would travel about the same distance I travel when it's in OKC. OkieTim commutes to Dallas/Ft Worth to work, so I doubt the miles will bother them much. LOL

• MiaOKC
    11 years ago

Carol, I agree. On of my professional organizations alternates between OKC and Tulsa for the annual awards dinner - it just seems fair. And as much as I grouse when we're headed that way, I know attendees are probably grousing when they come here, too. At least the Spring Fling won't require me to wear high heels and a dress. The drive will be much more comfortable for me!

• Lisa_H OK
    11 years ago

LOL, Mia :) I can see the fairness in switching out places. Yes, Sharon and I have been carpooling, and I am sure we would be willing to carpool to wherever we end up.

Lisa

• jlhart76
    11 years ago

I'd love to come, since I only got to come once two years ago. Unfortunately I won't have much of anything to contribute. We adopted a lab mix pup last summer and he has turned into the world's greatest roto tiller. My poor backyard looks horrible, all of the beds have been dug up, and most of the containers didn't survive the teething stage. But I'd be happy to contribute whatever I can.

• joellenh
    11 years ago

Both places sound like they would work. Trees, kitchen and potties and a basketball court sounds wonderful. I guess it comes down to what would be easiest for most of the members? I don't mind either way.

Jo

• chrholme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jo,

Why don't we trade off? I think everyone in your area is excited to have it in their neck of the woods and next year I'll host here in my part of the state. Sound ok to you? I would really like to help if you will allow me to :)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Y'all know I'll show up at either location, no matter the distance. When you live in southern OK, you get used to driving a long way to go anyplace else. : )

I do like the idea of rotating between NE OK and Central OK so that the majority of the people attending the swap only have a long drive every other year. That seems fair to me.

I'd be just as happy to attend in Edmond (thanks, Trees4ok, for offering to host at your location) or in Jenks (thanks to Jo for being willing to invite all of us to her place) or anyplace else.

Y'all know, of course, that our attendance at the Spring Fling would only be prevented by a raging wildfire or family illness or something like that. We look forward to our OK Garden Forum family reunion so much every year!

Dawn

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

I'm like Dawn and just look forward to the outing and for a hermit like me that says a lot. LOL Maybe we should take a vote from those who plan to attend and see if rotation is required or even desired.

Are you likely to attend if the Spring Fling is in:

OKC - Yes Tulsa - Yes

• Lisa_H OK
    11 years ago

First vote for OKC.

I would most likely attend in Tulsa.

• MiaOKC
    11 years ago

I agree it seems fair to switch off -- heck, even if it is just a trial for this year an next year on a rotating schedule. I like the idea of knowing where it will be next year, too, thanks Christina! (Trees)

If attendance is adversely impacted by moving it east, I imagine we will decide that doesn't work out so well and plan to try and move it central again. If it opens up the event to a whole new crop of eastern gardeners, so much the better!

Voting is a great idea, Carol. My vote:

Are you likely to attend if the Spring Fling is in:

OKC - Yes Tulsa - Yes

Paula - what do you think about emailing your attendee list from last year(s) and asking them to come to this thread to voice an opinion on location? I'm sure whoever ends up hosting would like to know sooner rather than later, so she can get to planning, and who knows how long it will take people to wander in from the garden and see this thread.

• seeker1122
    11 years ago

Thanks to those willing to host I'm sure it's a lot of work.
    Last year I said I would attend and I got about 8 miles from Paula's and my bike broke down. It took hours for me to get a trailer and get home. Then GW wouldn't let me on till NOV of last year to talk to anyone.
    How many people are in West OK ? I mean farther W than me I only know of 1.
    I would like to spend the day with my mother and she lives by Keystone lake. YES either place
    The only way I can afford to go anywhere far is on my bike so unless my new one breaks down I'll go anywhere in the state.
    TREE

• chickencoupe
    11 years ago

Wow. What a mess that was, tree. Glad you got into GW and hope everything turns out OK this year.

bon

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

No need to switch years just meet in the middle at the old mall parking lot in Stroud. Big area, No shade or bathrooms but the hotel is close. LOL.

Mike

• shankins123
    11 years ago

Yes, Lisa....you would attend either place. :)
    We'll carpool as many as we can - not sure what Katie and/or Greg will do - have to make sure she chimes in on this thread.

So...for me, sure thing - OKC area or Jenks alike, YES - depending on the date. I think we have generally met on what would be (this year) April 27th, correct? For those that would be interested, the OKC Art Festival starts the Wednesday preceding and finishes up on Sunday, and the OKC Memorial Marathon takes place on Sunday as well. (as an FYI...the following Saturday, May 4th, would not work for me).

Sharon

• tigerdawn
    11 years ago

I'll be there no matter what, unless there's an emergency of some sort.

• p_mac
    11 years ago

Mia - excellent idea! I'll dig in my "sent" box and give everyone a "heads up"...but that will be AFTER 2mrw I get my contacts to work properly due to allergy season! I'm carefully focusing right now thru very old prescription glasses.

Growing old is NOT for the whimpy.

I vote for EITHER. I'll travel just so I can go "attend" the Spring Fling!

• bettycbowen
    11 years ago

I was going to post to say Jenks is great for me, much closer, but then I saw the date- I'll be at the opening of the permanent home of the Woody Guthrie archives in the Brady district.

In any event, I want to help so will send a door prize or two. I've been doing some small paintings of Giverny from my sketching expedition there last summer.

• OklaMoni
    11 years ago

It always seems to coincide with cycling event for me. I just emailed a girl friend in Tulsa, that I am having a tough time to decide which ride to do that day... 30 miler west of OKC, or 40 miler out of Bixby...

Now, the spring fling....

I would go to either, but also want to do the bike ride... well, either of them....

Thus, it is a four way tie for me.

Don't count me out, but don't count on me. LOL

Moni

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Barring an emergency, Tim and I will attend in either location.

Like Carol, I am a hermit, but try to never ever miss the Spring Fling. I think the only two I've missed since 2005 were due to (a) my mom being severely ill one year, and (b) a conflict in another year with our son's graduation from the Fire Academy in Texas. To me, the Spring Fling is a family reunion of all our forum members who attend, even if they are family that we just haven't met in person yet.

Dawn

• joellenh
    11 years ago

Lots of people are saying "either", but I am also hearing that it would be a good Idea to alternate between Tulsa/and OKC areas each year. So if it's Jenks, I'm on board and ready. I am sure Paula will be a wonderful mentor and help. I guess we should start talking about dates and who is coming (and how many kids)? Gosh, I miss Chandra's family already.

Jo

• p_mac
    11 years ago

Jo - you've got it! Jenks it is! Personally, I'm pretty stoked! I've gotcher back. I've sent you a PM.

I suggest next you pick a date that's good for you. Then lets start a new thread for sign ups.

Who else is excited???? I get to GO to a Spring Fling and I'm gonna get to see more of you guys from this part of our Great State!!!!

Paula

• MiaOKC
    11 years ago

Completely agree, Paula! I am so ready, Jo... you tell me when. Can't wait to mix and mingle with the gardener folk again soon!

• chrholme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm super stoked as well!!! WOOHOO :)

• chickencoupe
    11 years ago

Oh my gollies! Bill's working so I might be able to go!!

bon

• joellenh
    11 years ago

Looks like I'm it. (grins). Per Sharron's post, I guess it would fall on a Saturday in late April. How does 4/27 work for everyone? Once we firm up a date, someone (me? Paula?) can start a new thread for sign-ups. If this date is inconvenient for any number of people, I am not adverse to moving it up one week (4/20) or back one-two weeks. (5/4 or 5/11). We are pretty easy around here. :)
    Jo

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

I like the April date, but any of the dates work for me except May 4th.

• MiaOKC
    11 years ago

I like April 20 or 27... it just so happens the 20th I will be in Tulsa already for the evening event that we switch back and forth from OKC/Tulsa, so that would put a crimp in any carpooling I might do, but would be convenient!

• slowpoke_gardener
    11 years ago

I would like to come, but with my family health issues I never know what I will be able to do.

I have some nice looking Brandywine, Mortgage Lifter, and Giant Garden Monster, whatever that is. I also planted 9 Boxcar Willie seeds today. Madge is also a pretty good cook, but I want to bring her back home with me.

Larry

• bettycbowen
    11 years ago

The 20th would be perfect for me, but if not then there's always next year!

• redbirdroad
    11 years ago

Can't wait!
    We will be watching for the new thread.

• theflyingace
    10 years ago

shankins123 and lisa_h - i'm totally planning on coming this year if the dates work out! i'll even volunteer to drive!

i don't care where the spring fling is, but i would have to BEG my husband for mercy if the date is 4/27 - we're in desperate need of a vacation, which we've scheduled to begin that day (and which his parents have kindly made camping reservations for). so, my vote is whatever is best for the most people; personally, 4/20 would work best for me.

if i can attend, i'll probably have tomatoes and/or peppers to bring, and i'm good for food and door prizes, too! i might even try to bring some people from the community garden to come (we have TWENTY-FOUR PEOPLE this year - ahh!!!!!), and if that's the case, i might just rent a van.

- katie k.

• p_mac
    10 years ago

Sign up thread should show up soon!!! (Date TBD...but I'm game for whatever works for the hostess and everyone else! If I can talk our former member, Ilene, into coming - I just may drag her with me!

I'm SO looking forward to this year's Fling!!!

Paula

• Erod1
    10 years ago

Hi, can someone tell me what the Spring Fling consists of? Since it will be close to me, I would like to come if the dates fall right.

Thanks

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

It's a get together with food and plants :) You don't have to bring plants, but it is a fun time to trade. Sometimes we have private trades there, or if you have a bunch of seedlings or plants to get rid of, then it is just a free for all. Usually there are door prizes, garden themed usually :)

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

Erod, The Spring Fling is a once a year Spring event when we gather in a designated location. We bring our extra seedlings, divided perennials, unwanted flower pots or anything related to gardening to share. In addition we bring a door prize or two and share those through a random drawing. We bring a dish to share with everyone and have a picnic. It is a casual event and children are invited, but the host or hostess has to know in advance how many will be attending.

For several years now, it has been held in a private location because in a public location we had people just wander in and take things that were meant for forum members. We don't publish the location, as a rule, but we publish an announcement, and you have a set period of time to request and invitation from the host or hostess. They normally ask you to send your request early because we could reach capacity.

Although there is no charge for the gathering, the hostess may incur expenses, so those of us who can will send her a few dollars before the event. Usually it provides us with a portable-potty, or could be used for the kids activities, etc.

Door prizes can be anything that relate to gardening. We have had garden hats, gloves, fertilizer, potting soil, a collection of seed packs, garden art, hummingbird feeders, and one time even a bottle of fresh goat milk. It doesn't even have to be new. If it is in good condition and you know longer use it in your garden, maybe someone else will.

It is a fun day, and gives everyone a chance to put a face to the name, and to usually take home something new for their garden.

Here's another thing we do. I never have a garden without Sungold tomato plants, but this year I don't have any. I didn't know that I was out of seed but found that I had an empty pack when I started to plant. My seeds were already going in late, so I didn't have time to order more. I'll put out a call to anyone that can bring a couple to the Fling, and someone will likely put my name on one or two and they will be there for me to bring home. I may have something that someone else needs. I don't have many plants to share this year, so I'll bring lots of food for the picnic. LOL

Don't miss it. It's fun.

• Erod1
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the info. It sounds like a really fun event and again, I would love to go if the date falls right. I will keep reading this thread and wait for the sign up thread. I won't have any plants to trade, but I have some nice garden things I can bring to barter with for maybe a plant or two, and I can bring food and donations for door prizes. Looking forward to it!

• joellenh
    10 years ago

Starting the sign up thread NOW! :)

Jo