Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf Youpon Holly in sun

Posted by decali (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 07 at 23:50

I need to replant an area and want to keep consistant with the rest of my beds. I have some dwarf Youpon Hollies in full sun that do pretty well in various spots in the yard. Can I also plant them along a south facing brick wall or will they fry?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf Youpon Holly in sun

I have dwarf yaupon 'Stokes' in a mixed tree/shrub/perennial bed beside my house. The bed faces south. In this bed, there are taller shrubs (Dwarf Burford Hollies) and young trees (Shumard Oak and Desert Willow) between the dwarf yaupon hollies and the wall of the house, so the plants do not receive direct heat/light radiating off the wall. They have done very well under these conditions.

I have never had yaupons planted directly alongside a south-facing brick wall, so I can't answer your question from personal experience. However, I believe that if you put them in a well-prepared bed that has organic matter in the soil, keep them well-mulched, and keep them well-watered until they are well-established, they should be fine. Yaupons, after all, are native to Texas, and it gets plenty hot there. I see them used a lot in commercial plantings alongside buildings, sidewalks and streets, and they seem OK there, too. In those situations they are receiving reflected heat/light off the buildings, streets and sidewalks much as yours would receive it from the brick wall.

Dawn

o
RE: Dwarf Youpon Holly in sun

I have y. hollies were you are planning on planting them and they love it. The also get the full afternoon and evening sun. They are mulched and I do have soaker hoses running through the bed which I use maybe every two weeks during drought. They grow like crazy and even take the neighborhood dogs using them as urinals. I fertilize once per season with 13/13/13. and that is all the care they get. Best plants for the area where I put them when many other things fried. They should do fine?!

Keep me posted, I would love to know how they respond.

Stephanie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here