Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting seeds with gelatin?

Posted by greenacreslady 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 12 at 0:16

Just came across this interesting bit of information on canadiangardening.com, where they're suggesting starting seeds in gelatin. Supposedly it is rich in phosphorus and calcium and improves germination. I've never heard of this method, have any of you?

Suzie

Here is a link that might be useful: Jump-start seeds with gelatin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting seeds with gelatin?

Suzie,

I bet this method developed from the fact that agar sometimes is used to grow some life forms in labs. Or, possibly it was a method "developed" and promoted by a gelatin company to boost sales.

It has been around awhile because people on either the seed-starting forum and/or garden experiments forum here at GW have tried it and have written about it sporadically over the years.

Most people who have tried it have had good results in terms of seeds sprouting and growing but have had to deal with mold. Being allergic to mold and fungi, I wouldn't try it. Who needs to create more allergy problems for themselves?

Several years ago there were plant gels on the market you could buy and in which you could grow houseplants. They even came in different colors. I tried one and it worked OK but it wasn't anything special once you got over the novelty of it. I haven't seen those growing gels in stores or gardening catalogs in some time, so guess that for some reason people didn't like them. I know that in recent years I have seen some methods of growing cuttings that involve using a gel medium too.

I guess my question would be why bother? Most seeds sprout and grow easily in any sterile soil-less mix, and most seeds sprout just fine in good garden soil when direct-sown, as long as you aren't trying to sprout some perennial seeds that have special scarification needs. Those can be harder and often require some refrigeration in order to mimic outdoor temps. (You can get around that by winter sowing them back in the winter to get them the cold exposure they need.)

You'll find lots of interesting techniques on the internet but a lot of the time these ideas sound better than they actually work. I tend to be a traditionalist and stick with tried and true methods.

If you try this, be sure to sterilize everything first--your containers, your seeds, etc. because it might help slow down how quickly you start seeing mold growing on your gelatin.

Dawn

o

Thank you, Dawn. I posted a reply to this last week, but it must have gotten lost in cyberspace. I hadn't even thought about the similarity to the plant gel beads for houseplants, but that makes sense!

Suzie

o

Suzie,

You're welcome.

Dawn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here