Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hyacinth Bean Vine

Posted by pattyokie 6b Bkn Arrow (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 4, 12 at 0:52

Does anyone know if the hyacinth bean vine has to have a male/female in the area to set flowers? I had beautiful vines & flowers in OKC when we lived there but there were several in our neighborhood. Here in Broken Arrow I have tried to grow it 3 years now and it never sets flowers. Wondering if I need to put on a little mood music & search down a suitable companion this year before I try again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hyacinth Bean Vine

No, I believe it does just fine as "a single."

George
Tahlequah, OK

o

I think it doesn't take heat very well. I started a few several weeks ago and I'm going to put them in the ground soon. I may bring a few to the swap too.

o

Thank you so much. I will try again.

o

Hi Patty,

I have noticed that it often is very slow to flower, often not flowering until mid-summer. In my yard it tends to start blooming around the same time as the moonflower vines. Extreme heat can shut down the blooming but when the weather cools a little, the plants will flower.

Otherwise, be sure it isn't in a location where it is getting too much nitrogen, like for example if it is near a lawn that is regularly fertilized. With bean plants, nitrogen can give you all foliage and no flowers. Shade possibly could impede flowering, but it would take a lot of shade because I grow beans (including hyacinth bean) in part shade all the time with great results.

One other possible issue would be that flowering can be impeded by exposure to lighting at night. Hyacinth bean vines are short day/long night plants and can refuse to flower if they get too much light at night from street lights, security lights near driveways, and other outdoor lighting. If yours has too much light from some outdoor lighting, you might try planting in a different location that stays darker at night.

Dawn

o

I have been growing Hyacinth Bean since last three years. They seems to bean bisexual flowers, they produce just fine with single wine as well. But they produce very late and some of the pods will not make mature before fall frost hits. If you enforce some stress conditions such as low nitrogen, no water, etc to produce better and earlier than than when you take care of them well. -Chandra

o

Thanks, Dawn & Chandra. I think you hit the nail on the head: I had been planting it on the edge of the lawn (fertilized) & near the garage light.

Haven't been able to find seeds in the store this year. I won't be able to make it to the Swap, though. Does anybody in Tulsa area have any they would share? I have zinnia & purple coneflower seeds I could exchange.

o

Herbal Affair Sand Springs vendors have them.
I always find lots of good and hard to find plants.
Brenda
Plant Today For A Beautiful Tomorrow :)

o

Patty, I have some seed I can send you, but let me put some in a wet paper towel and see if I get good germination rates. These seeds are some I collected several years ago and never planted because mine started reseeding on their own.

Or, if you want me to send you the seed first without testing it for germination, just e-mail me your address through GW and I will send you the seed and you can germination-test it by planting it.

Dawn

o

Love these. Been growing them for several years now. They typically flower in late summer then the beans follow in early fall (september/october), except this year. It's mid June and my beans are already flowering and producing beans. It's never happened this early. Anyone else seeing this in Oklahoma? I'm hoping they aren't going to die off early since they seem to be ahead of the game this year.

o

Love these. Been growing them for several years now. They typically flower in late summer then the beans follow in early fall (september/october), except this year. It's mid June and my vines are already flowering and producing beans. It's never happened this early. Anyone else seeing this in Oklahoma? I'm hoping they aren't going to die off early since they seem to be ahead of the game this year.

o

Dawn sent me some beans which I planted in two places, front & back yard, on the same day. The one in the back has grown beautifully & already wrapped itself around the old mailbox I have "planted" in the garden to hold extra gloves, small tools etc. The one in the front has hardly grown at all. It seems very odd to me. The difference seems to be that the back one is in soil that I have amended & added lots of compost etc. for the 8 yrs we've lived here. The front one is in a new little bed I made around the new "real" mailbox & I just put in topsoil.

While I wish the front one had grown & wrapped around the mailbox and been gorgeous, it has been a great test for me of soil conditions even tho it wasn't intentional.

o

I'm not seeing it this year because my husband mowed down the ones that reseeded from last year, and I didn't plant any more. I have seen it in other years. The beans normally will continue to grow in height/width and will keep blooming. However, the more beans that you let develop after the flowers have fallen, the less the plant will keep flowering. Just snip off the beans to keep the plants in bloom. I usually snip them off once or twice in the summer, then leave them alone in fall so they can mature to give me seed for the next year. Everything is really early this year because we warmed up so early and barely had any real cold weather at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here