Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottokla

Dare I say the drought might be over for my area

scottokla
11 years ago

Approaching 2.5 inches at the farm and still a half to 1.5 left to go it appears.

The first runoff in 394 days, and quite a bit of it!

Comments (15)

• slowpoke_gardener
    11 years ago

Great news Scott

• scottokla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

3 inches, Jack!

• Macmex
    11 years ago

Can't get to the rain gauge (still raining too much), but judging from the dog's feed pans, we have received nearly 4" since nightfall yesterday. I had to go out, just before 4 AM, to move our injured dog to a drier place, and got instantly soaked. It felt as if I were standing under a down spout!

George

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

Poor baby! I don't know what happened to you dog, George, but I hope he's out running about very soon.

I haven't heard rainfall totals for okc yet.

Susan

• wulfletons
    11 years ago

3 inches here in Newalla (I am right at the junction of Oklahoma, Cleveland, and Pott counties). Had to let the dog out around 1 am and it looked like mississippi river was flowing through the backyard.
    Krista

• Lisa_H OK
    11 years ago

I got about 1.75 inches.

• dulahey
    11 years ago

3.55" in Newcastle. The runoff was tremendous last night.

• ReedBaize
    11 years ago

Well, we avoided the hail, which was good. Half of my radishes washed away and, while that stinks, they aren't hard to replant.

• chickencoupe
    11 years ago

Scott;

I'm so happy for you and your trees, really. You've suffered immensely from the drought and it has been disheartening to read your updates over the last 18 months or so.

I'm happy for all of it and everyone really. Honestly, I did not expect the drought to be relieved this soon. I feel like my entire body is sighing and my soul feels better, even.

Water!

Bonnie

• scottokla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

3.9 at the farm, about 4.5 at the house!

Flooding everywhere from the creeks, but a couple of ponds still not full. Close though. Turkeys out everywhere since nests likely destroyed.

We were right along the path of heaviest rain this time. Sweet! Now I want it to stay dry for 3 weeks. Never satisfied!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

I'm glad so many of y'all got good rain. We had a little under an inch (0.85"), but I am glad it isn't more. Too much rain at planting time is not really welcome, although we'd put up with it if we got it.

Scott, We have had wild turkeys all over the place. It must be a good turkey year. They come into our yard and eat food that falls from the bird feeders, or even hen scratch if they can find any the chickens didn't devour. I could hear some gobbling in the woods this morning when I was out checking on the plants and feeding our animals.

George, I hope your dog is okay.

No flooding here, but for several weeks we have had fire ants popping up everywhere, and organic fire ant killer is hard to find in local stores. I solved that problem by ordering a case of it online. It arrived this morning, so today or tomorrow I'll be out treating the mounds. The fire ants have stayed largely underground and out of sight during the last two hot summers, but this spring they are up out of the wet ground and they are biting. I cannot count how many times I have stepped into fire ants this year, and I am ready to bite back.

Good luck, Scott, getting those 3 dry weeks. I doubt you'll get them now, but you might get them in July. I've been living in my mud boots, at least when I'm outside, these last few weeks. About the time the mud almost completely dries up, it rains again. It is hard to complain about the rain because we need it, but I can complain about the mud and the fire ants.

Dawn

• joellenh
    11 years ago

We had a HELL of a storm last night. The neighbor's pony barns are rubble. Huge treee limbs in yards. I stayed up all night watching to see if tornadoes were coming. Very bad wind.

And yet, Tusa area only git .5 inches. WHAT????!!!!

Jo

• scottokla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Picture of our road at 11:00 today.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Lisa_H OK
    11 years ago

Wow, Scott!!! That is some serious flooding. Yes, I'd say you should be out of the drought. :) I hope it came in time to save your trees.

Lisa

• scottokla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The top two feet of my soil was in good shape already, but now the entire profile should be good enough to get to August again if needed (like last year). I have improved the drainage so the water should not stand for more than 48hrs this time. The trees are doing well I think.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting