Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slowpoke_gardener

Experiment update

slowpoke_gardener
10 years ago

I love trying different things in the garden. Last year it was different types of peppers, this year it has been different onions.

I wanted to try to start bulbing onions from seed. I had tried winter onions two different two different times and it worked fine. The bulbing onions have been a different story. I started 6 different kinds of bulbing onions from seed on 1-17. I plant them out at ages 3 weeks, 4 weeks and about 7 weeks. the 3 and 4 week plants did not grow well. I think the crazy cold weather has really thrown me a curve this year. I still have hope for the Yellow Spanish (ones planted at about 7 wks.) The Spanish onions will be shown on each side of the irrigation tube in the first picture. the ones on the left were taken out of the seed starting tube and placed under the lights to speed up growing, the other ones were left in the starting tube till planting time. The starting tubes were newspaper rolled into about a 2" tube and about 50 seeds were dropped into ea. tube.

The first picture will also show a celery stump I tried to regrow, far left, right from that is 2 celery plants I started fron seed, next is a rosemary plant started from seed, and far right are 4 parsley plants started from seed. All of the extra plants were given to my neighbor to play with.

The second picture will show the onion tube being broken at 3 weeks and seeds planted. The onions had a good root system for their age, but it was too early, too cold and too wet, plus they were too young to start off under those conditions.

On another note, the 1015Y that I bought early and tried to trick into growing as big as a water melon have bolted with 7 leaves.

Even without much success, I am having a ball.

Larry

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?