Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elkwc

20 degrees this morning

elkwc
11 years ago

Just 3 days ago they were saying 31-33. I will keep an eye on the ten day as the weekend arrives. If all looks well I will start planting this weekend. With the way the weather roller coaster has been it is a risk but time to take a gamble. I imagine it got some more of the wheat. The freeze 2 weeks ago got a lot of it and it is further along now. And just two days ago it was 89 in our area. Jay

Comments (8)

• scottokla
    11 years ago

I just looked at the state temperature map and it looks like half of the state or more froze. We stayed a couple degrees above here at the house, and no frost because of the slight breeze. Tonight will be a frost risk.

20 degrees is crazy cold. The last 2 years has been brutal on you guys out there. I feel for the wheat growers.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

I had a low of 30.4 at 6:30 am at ground level in the garden. everything was covered with buckets and blankets so hoping for the best

Mike

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Jay, that is too cold. We only went down to 30 here. We had nice but not excessively warm temperatures a couple of days ago. We have had some days in the upper 80s and at least one in the lower 90s this spring, but mostly we have had pleasant days in the 70s with a freezing or frosty night or two each week. It seems like every time we go into the upper 70s through the lower 90s, we then have a cold front roar thru within a day or two, dropping us back into the 30s. I am so tired of that.

I hate hearing that about the wheat crop. It sure seems harder than ever to farm nowadays.

I have planted all the tomato plants in the big garden that I am going to put there, but only put the last ones in the ground on Monday afternoon. I think the first ones went into the ground about 10-12 days ago. All of them are covered up with recently-purchased extra heavy duty row cover that gives 10 degrees of protection.

I feel so behind because of these recurring cold nights. On at least one of them, we were 9 degrees colder than our forecast low so I have been slow to put warm-season plants in the ground this year. Beginning tomorrow I hope to start putting some warm-season seeds like beans, squash and cukes in the ground.

Our forecast for tonight is 36 but I expect it will go lower than that, so I won't remove the row cover until tomorrow morning.

Are y'all expecting low temperatures again tonight?

Mike, I expect your plants will be fine. I used blankets over buckets for many years before I started using row cover and they generally protected plants at temperatures as low as 28 degrees.

Dawn

• faerybutterflye
    11 years ago

We got down to 30 this morning, as well, Dawn. I brought my pepper plants in the house, because that is all I have this year to worry about. I think we had a slight breeze as well, because even the shaded areas of my yard didn't appear to have frosted, at least when I got up around 7:45. I am just hoping that the few frosts & freezes that we've had don't kill my flower seedlings. They seem like they've done all right, but I hate to think I wasted money on seeds that might not produce. I always go crazy with the spring yard work when we move to a new rent house because my thoughts are that even if this isn't our permanent place, I still want it to be beautiful & enjoyable while we're here. I hope that the people who moved into our old place notice the cannas & amaryllis & lilies that are surely coming up by now & decide to water & care for them. I didn't have time to dig them up before we moved, but hopefully they will bring someone else some joy & beauty to enjoy. :)

Can't wait for this rollercoaster spring weather to steady out & move my houseplants outside for their first summer vacation in a few years! Good luck to everyone, hope everybody got their stuff covered & protected.

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

We went to 34 (Mesonet), but our ground was wet, and we had wind, so I don't expect any damage around here. Tonight the forecast is for 35, but it is sunny and bright and very little air movement. Tonight could be worse, but they keep raising the forecast a little and a few days ago they said 31. I didn't have my min/max in the garden last night, but I think I will tonight just so I will know the real numbers. I am just leaving covers in place today, but unless we get more rain, I am hoping to plant a few more things tomorrow.

• brad6622
    11 years ago

Frost warning tonight for okc

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

fareybutterfly, We had patchy frost at 6:30 a.m. but only in open areas. The trees protected everything that was underneath them. None of the perennials or reseeding annuals that are in bloom or even those that have just emerged and begun growing were damaged and they weren't covered up. Some of them are under trees and some are out in more exposed locations.

Despite having an average last frost date of March 28th in our county (the averages are based on 30 years of data), we have had everything from patchy frost to a hard freeze in the first week of May in every year since 2007 except for last year, so I always expect the unexpected. The morning glories that freely reseed everywhere rarely are damaged by those little cold spells.

Carol, I left covers on today but plan to remove them first thing tomorrow and then will spend the day weeding and mulching. I planted a lot on Saturday, Sunday and Monday so I want to tackle the weeding before I plant anything else.

I would have liked to weed and mulch today, but that would have meant uncovering and recovering each row as I worked my way through the garden, so I just decided to wait. I'm glad I waited. We were busy almost all day with fire department-related stuff and I wouldn't have had much time in the garden anyhow. I was barely even at home today....once we left, we never quite made it back home before we had to go do something else.

I am hoping tomorrow is a day I get to spend the entire day in the garden because the forecast looks great, and I want to weed before it rains.

Dawn

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

Last Fall I cut back my asparagus plants and left them on the ground for awhile because I had tossed them inside the temporary pen that I had let the chickens run in. The chickens played around with them and I assumed were eating the seeds. Well apparently they didn't do a very good job because I have dozens of 3 inch asparagus ferns growing all over that part of my garden.