Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Hardening Off Tomatos in Topsy Turvy Temps

susanlynne48
10 years ago

My tomato are outside hardening off. I have left them there overnight for last 2 days since night's have been in the 60's. When the cold nights hit is it okay to a) leave them outside and cover them with cardboard box? They are sitting inside a box with sides that reach slightly above the cup line and I have another box the same size that I can put over the tops. The box is sitting in a very heavily protected area, surrounded by house, several trees, sitting on ground which should provide some warmth. Or, b) bring them back indoors for a couple days until cold spell passes.

Thanks, everyone!

Susan

Comments (7)

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

Mine have been sitting out for the past two nights also. I am waiting on the cooler weather to get closer to decide what to do. If it gets as cool as first predicted I will bring my inside.

I think the boxes would work, but I just dont have enough boxes to be able to do that with mine, plus, I know they will be ok in the house.

Larry

I hope you have better luck with your Topsy Turvy than Madge did. I told her that I already had more tomatoes in the ground than we could eat. I spent way too much time building a gallows to watch it slowly die on. I took great pride it saying, "I told You So".

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, no, Larry, I'm not growing them in Topsy Turvy planters, I was addressing the "topsy turvy" temps we've experienced this year! I would never even attempt to grow them in those things. IMHO they are just a novelty that encourages a noob to try something wild and crazy, as Steve Martin might say.

Susan

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

Susan, I am sorry, I did not read closely enough. Its just that I have flashbacks every time I see the words, "Topsy Turvy".

This weather is Topsy Turvy. Last week I was cold and wet, now I am hot and dry. But at least I have the north garden and the sweet potato bed tilled. I need to finish the bed for the Seminole pumpkins, the bed for the corn field pumpkins and the okra bed. I am really running behind this year. (plus flower beds and other things that dont count)

Larry

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

I'm glad you clarified that, because I thought the same thing Larry did, Susan, and I was horrified....thinking to myself "No, Susan, No." Now I am ROTFL because I knew that you knew better than to put a poor, unsuspecting plant in a Topsy-Turvy thing and I couldn't figure out what in the world was going on. Forgive me for thinking you'd lost your mind. : )

I'd move those plants back inside because you cannot count on a forecast to be that precise and if they are saying 40 degrees now, it could go lower. Last week our forecast low was for 36, and then the forecast dropped to 34, and our actual temperature was 28. This week, it was for 39, and then they dropped it to 37 yesterday and now it is 34....so maybe we'll see 28 again if the skies are clear. When they keep dropping the forecast low as the cold night approaches, it makes me nervous to the point that I cover up everything I possibly can within reason.

Even 40 degrees is a temperature the plants won't like, even though it won't cause freeze damage. Remember, though, that frost can and does form at above-freezing temperatures up to 39 or even 40 degrees (a hard lesson I was slow to learn after we moved here because it never happened in Fort Worth) so don't take any chances with your plants.

Dawn

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gasp!! Guess I will truck them back in.......grrrrrrrrr. I just knew this was gonna happen as soon as I put them out, darn it.

That's okay, Dawn....some days I think I have lost my mind!

Susan

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

It is really hard to not be planting more when the temps are in the 80s, but when I look at the possibility of a freeze, it slows me down. So far, we have not had the hail and the really cold temps that some of you have been having, but I have covered mine just in case, and I will do so again.

I feel like Ron White with his height measurement that depends on which convenience store he is leaving, as our weather threats seem to depend on which forecast I am viewing. I see everything from 32 to 37. I am usually a little higher than the forecast, probably because I am near the lake but I am afraid to trust any of them.

In most years I have everything in the ground, or at least everything except peppers and eggplant. This year I have only planted 10 tomato plants and a few bean seeds, and I'm planning to cover cool season crops. Crazy weather.

• shankins123
    10 years ago

OK...what do you guys think? All of my (14) tomatoes are hardened off and planted in the ground. Last night I covered them with cut-off plastic milk jugs and kind of banked the soil up around them. I do not have lids for all of them, though.
    The last I heard, OKC's forecast for Friday morning is right at 32 (I heard this last night; it may have changed). Will that tiny opening at the top negate the whole covering? The only other thing I can think to do is to get plastic wrap over the tops and secure it with a rubber band (!)

Thoughts?
    Sharon