Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
countymounty_gw

Organic Products in Tulsa

countymounty
18 years ago

I moved to the Tulsa in October 05 and would like information on stores in the area that carry organic fertilizers. Lately I have been looking for liquid seaweed and haven't been able to find it in the nurseries or garden centers where I have looked. I am also looking for a supplier of corn glutten meal for use as a pre-emerg herbicide, information on feed stores that carry it in +/-50 lb bags would be appreciated.

Also, last fall I noticed the huge volume of leaves that were being gathered and hauled off by the different lawn service companies. Do the leaves end up at a common location where they are composted and made available to the public?

Comments (6)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    18 years ago

Welcome to Tulsa. If you are looking for good private nurseries for specialty items your choices are few and far between since the really good one closed down (Binding Stevens). That's not to say there aren't a handful of small private nurseries left, but our supplies for gardening are mostly relagated to what Walmart and the Box stores carry. You might try Southwood. It's private and large enough to carry something other then the sameo-sameo. I don't shop there so don't know. I thought I saw Seaweed at Lowes. Maybe not. I'm a "burb" gal so don't know co-ops much. The few that Tulsa grew around (like the one in Broken Arrow on Main street) seem to be slowly going out of business. Mail order is always a god send for me.

• katrina1
    18 years ago

Yes, Tulsa is a challange when it comes to finding some specialty items. Since so much information is available over the internet, it is becoming more and more evident that the average nursery found in Tulsa just does not offer lots of cutting edge products and plant varieties.

With that said, here are some suggestions which just might prove to be a helpful source and worth your effort to investigate. If you do not immediately find what you are looking for, do not miss the chance to seek leading from the owner or longtime workers at each follwing listed business.

For the Cornmeal mentioned the most economical is usually found in feed stores.

The Country Store: two locations -- 7890 E 11ST, Tulsa and 639 S First ST, PTR (I think that second location is in Porter, OK)

There also is a farm feed store on the main street in Jenks. From Tulsa just go west on that main street passing lots of specialty and antique shops in Jenks until you get to the railroad tracks. The business in on the North side of the street, I think you come to this business before getting to the Peoria/elm street.

As far as Tulsa Nurseries which will give you exceptional service, selection and advice. Consider Stringer Nursery East of Sheridan on 41st.

One of my very favorite nurseries in town that has or will obtain an exceptional variety in nursery stock is Colebrooks located at West 31 street just west of the north/south 57th street. I have been there when customers have driven in all the way from Arkansas just to shop at that nursery.

For an exceptional selection and rose specialty place, try Roses Inc, Tulsa LLC. located in South Broken Arrow

These above listed suggestions are a good start for you to get familiar with some better items than what can usually be found in the larger box stores. If they do not have exactly what you are looking for, they seem to be accessable to offer alternatives or suggestions on where you can find or they might even offer to located them for you.

To find directions to the Tulsa city compost sites or places where tree/shrub clipping are dropped off for grinding call the Tulsa City Hall # 918 596-7777 and request phone numbers for the specific desired information.

Finally, consider contacting the OSU Extension Center located on 15 street in Tulsa. The Master Gardener's nuumber is 918-746-3701.

• countymounty
    Original Author
    18 years ago

maryl and karina 1

Thanks for the information I will look into the sources you recommend. Also our new phone book arrived and it actually had a "compost" sction in the yellow pages. I will check out the listings (3 of them) later this week when I get a chance. And I had thought that the internet had made the phone book into something that was only good for turning into compost! Imagine that.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    18 years ago

Katrina: I remember someone saying something about the west Tulsa nursery last year. I think I even printed off directions. It's way out of my area, but I'm hoping to get there this spring. Countrymouse, I agree about Stringers. We were there today and loaded up. You cannot beat their potting soil for a plant you really care about keeping. I'm picky about such seemingly mundane things as bark mulch, and Stringers carries all the products I like. Even bought a small water feature earlier this year. Their roses were partially in bloom and looked heavenly. They seem to have added more hardscape items since Binding went out. And lastly, I don't know if they are back yet, but I found some nice unusual well grown plants at Meyers in Broken Arrow on 161st (Elm) last spring. They are from Dallas, set up a tent in spring (B.A. for the last 3 years) and then around June (when temps skyrocket) pack up and go home. I hope they are there this year too..

• barton
    18 years ago

Agree about Stringer and Colebrook. Both are great. Southwood is too far so I don't get out there much.

The free mulch place loads it for you. I have a small pickup and they fill it up with a front loader. It is pretty coarse but the price is right. You never know what you will get. I got a bunch of redbud seedlings coming up one spring, and transplanted them around the place. One load had a lot of cedar in it, I could smell it. I put that on the paths because it would take longer to break down. A bonus on paths and a disadvantage in the garden.

You go out 169 east. I THINK the exit is 56 street north. It is an exit or two past the Port of Catoosa exit, and if you cross the river you bave gone too far. Turn left at the bottom of the exit ramp, and go maybe 1/3 mile. It is on the right side of the road.

• oklahawg
    18 years ago

Juniper Hill in Bixby (121st between Garnett and Mingo) is a fave as is Stringer on 41st. I got my Paw-paws at J-Hill and remain thrilled.