Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joellenh_gw

Spring Fling 2013 Sign-Up Sheet

joellenh
10 years ago

Okay folks, let’s do this!

I am going to set the date for Saturday, 4/20, which sounds like it will work best for most people. Time: From around noon until around 3 PM. If you feel like showing up a little early or staying a little late, I won’t kick you out. :)

For those of you new to the Spring Fling, Carol did an excellent job explaining what to bring and what to expect in the Spring Fling Idea thread, but in case you missed it, here’s a quick rundown.

What to bring:

Extra plants, seedlings, or garden related stuff you have lying around. If you don’t have any, no worries! There are usually extras. Last year I had no plants to trade, but tried to make up for it in other ways (I brought a couple of extra-special dishes and did the kiddie door prizes).

At least one dish to pass. Anything from main dishes to salads to side dishes to desserts.

We always have a drawing for door prizes. It’s a lot of fun, and if you can, bring a door prize or two to go into the drawing. Like Carol said, door prizes can be anything related to gardening. I got an outdoor thermometer one year and a jar of jelly and a hummingbird feeder the next (which I promptly traded for a cool metal pinwheel/wind spinner stake) :). One year someone brought a huge bag of bunny poop, which I thought was an EXCELLENT prize, and the kind I’d really like to win! Homemade prizes are always welcome, and in my opinion, they are the best kind! Homemade jellies, handmade signs, homemade soap, hand-painted birdhouse gourds…

Folding or patio chairs that you can easily transport. Enough to seat whomever you are bringing.

Who is welcome:

All OK Garden Web members and their close friends or families. Children are especially encouraged. I have two of my own, ages 4 and 6, and they would love some other kids to play with. The more, the better! I have a large play set for them to play on, and a fenced yard where they can run to their heart’s content.

What I will be responsible for:

The venue :P

I will keep track of everyone who signs up on a spreadsheet. To sign up, you need to reply to this thread telling us how many people you’re bringing, and how many children. THEN you need to e-mail through my page with your personal e-mail address. Before the fling, I will send each of you my address, a map, and directions.

I will provide name tags for everyone.

I will provide a ton of ice..

I will bring a dish to pass and a door prize, like everyone else. If I find myself with the time and the means, I will also try to do prizes/goody bags for the children again.

Paula has VERY GRACIOUSLY been mentoring me through this process, and has volunteered to bring paper goods (cups, plates, napkins, cutlery), door prize tickets, and some folding tables.

What I need help with:

Beverages. If every family/group could bring just one bottle or jug of soda/lemonade/iced tea/water/fruit juice, it would be a huge help.

Coolers: I only own one large cooler. I am guessing that we are going to need a LOT of ice to chill beverages, and possibly to keep a few dishes cool. If a few people could sign up to also bring coolers for us to use for the day, that would be great.

Good news! I don’t *think* we need to collect for a potty fund this year! I live within 1-2 minutes of at least two gas stations, and 3-4 minutes from several fast food places. So unless the general consensus is that we NEED a potty on site, I think we can skip it.

What I would like to propose instead is a meat/main dish fund. One year Paula provided vast quantities of fried chicken and brisket for everyone, and I know it was an expense. I would anticipate that just a few dollars per family or group would cover this expense. Certainly five dollars or less. If you can’t afford it, no worries! I’m sure it will work out in the end, and we are willing to cover any budget shortfalls. Dave makes a MEAN smoked brisket, and I hope to talk him into making a few for the party.

I think that’s it! Time to start signing up!

Jo

Comments (150)

• redbirdroad
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

SO DISAPPOINTED!
    Reading about all of the preparations for the Fling makes me wish all the more that we could attend. For the past two years, we have had scheduling conflicts, but you will be in our thoughts. Enjoy the wonderful day. -I just wanted to go on record as an OKC-dweller who would happily make the trip to Tulsa to meet you all again. Have a wonderful time, and hope to see you next year!
    with love from the tallest woman you have ever seen

• Erod1
    10 years ago

Very cute bags Jo!!! What ages, approximately will the children be? I am debating bring my granddaughter......

• joellenh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The kids signed up so far are 3-8!!!

• joellenh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My elderly neighbors have opted out, and another neighbor with kids has plans. So I was pretty dead on with my predictions. We will be bringing 4 extra adults and 4 extra kids. Jo

• Macmex
    10 years ago

Folks, it is with a heavy heart that I'm going to have to say that I can't make it (again). There are just to many commitments tugging at me right now. Today I'm going to be up in Commerce for the whole day, taking some special training. I choose to do this. But it's hard, as I know that I'm behind on garden prep, and, I can't afford another Saturday away from the garden.

Jo, if you would send me your mailing address, I'll send a bit of seed to contribute.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• chrholme
    10 years ago

As promised above, i am reporting back with my first plant contribution to the swap! I have Snowcap Indian Hawthorns in a 3 gallon container, 7 of them :)

I am needing Martha Washington petunias or any kind of veggie/fruit plants.

Anyone want to trade? I will continue to hunt around the nursery and report my findings. :)

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

Christina, I'd love to do some horse tradin'! I'll post my seedling list in a bit and you can tell me if anything strikes your fancy.

• joellenh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Aw, George, totally bummed.

Emma needs to retract her offer for peonies, as hers are too big for dividing. She'd like to offer Stella Daylillies instead. I have removed the peony requests/offers from the sheet.

Jo

• joellenh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If anyone attending has a mulberry tree and wouldn't mind taking a cutting or two, I'd love to have one. We lost our mulberry tree when we rebuilt.

I just watched a youtube video, and the guy makes it seem like it is VERY easy to grow a mulberry tree from a cutting. He just hacked off a skinny little branch, stripped off the lower leaves, and stuck it in the ground!!! I had to pick my jaw up off the floor. He claims to have a 100% success rate with this method though, so I figure it's worth a shot.

Jo

• Erod1
    10 years ago

Jo,

I do have a Mulberry tree. Well, im 99% positive it is. If you tell me how to do a cutting, i am happy to do it!

Edit: oops, i should have read more carefully. Ok, so i will just cut off a few small branches and bring them? Should i stick them in some dirt? Wrap them in a wet paper towel?

Let me know how you want me to it and i will do it the morning of the event.

Emma

This post was edited by Erod1 on Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 21:15

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

I just had a little Facebook post from Chandra and he says they are missing all of us and hate to miss the Fling.

• oklavenderlady
    10 years ago

Mia, I'll have some naked lady lily bulbs for you. They are smaller than normal, I guess because of the drought and heat, but they should bloom in a few years.

I'm bringing a viburnum that's been potted up for a few years. I think it's a Korean vib. variety. If anyone is interested, they are welcome to it. Of the things I've just dug up, I'll have yellow columbine (fragrant), yellow dwarf iris, Soloman's seal, Greek oregano and two oakleaf hydrangea starts. Maybe a few other things.

I'm looking for a vine that will do ok on a chain link fence in dappled shade. It doesn't have to bloom. Also I'd like a Laura Bush petunia, or any that will reseed and will take the heat.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Loretta

• Macmex
    10 years ago

I need to see that video on mulberries. I've tried, a couple times, to do cuttings, and they have never taken. I have heard that cuttings, placed into the ground, will take, if a chunk of the main truck (parent tree) is on the end of the twig). But how to do that without harming the parent tree, I don't know.

Last year we purchased a real nice cultivar. I'm hoping, in 2014 (once it gets some size to it), to do some grafting onto some native rootstock.

George

• joellenh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the video. Emma, if you have a pot of dirt to stick them it, that would be great, but if not, I bet they'd be okay with some wet paper towels wrapped around the cut end for a few hours until I can get them into the ground. Thank you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdm5ARzrFbc

Jo

• Macmex
    10 years ago

Also, Emma, have you observed mulberries on that tree? About half of seedling mulberries are males and never set fruit.

George

• joellenh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One of these days I am going to get a Pakistan Mulberry. Have you guys seen these things? The berries are HUGE!!!!

http://www.groworganic.com/mulberry-pakistan-fruiting-standard.html

Right now, I'll be thrilled with ANY mulberry that produces fruit. :)

Also, I wanted to take a minute to give a huge shout out to George. He can't make it, but is sending on some seeds to use as an additional door prize/door prizes! Thank you George.

Jo

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

Jo and Emma, we have a purple fruiting mulberry tree at our old house (we still own the house and thus, the tree). Let me know if you aren't sure if yours is fruiting and we'll stop there to take a cutting on the way out of town.

Thank you, Loretta! I have honeysuckle but it is so aggressive I'm not sure you'd want it. We're trying to get rid of it right now! years ago I had carolina jessamin on a chain link that was beautiful, but don't have any now or I'd bring you some!

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

Christina, I cut way back on seedlings this year to make things more manageable, but here is what I have extra if you are interested. The cukes are only sprouted in the last week, so are pretty small but further along than putting a seed in the dirt! I also have canteloupe and zuke seeds sown but only a few are up so far, not sure if they'll be fling-ready.
    Sweet aroma tomato
    purple bell pepper
    beau cucumber
    summer long basil
    yellow pear tomato
    Sweet Ruby pepper
    California wonder pepper
    Black Knight eggplant

• Erod1
    10 years ago

Jo, George and Mia,

Yes, this tree sets fruit. The fruit looks kind of like a blackberry. Its a big old tree and has been on the property for a very long time. I will take a picture of it and email it because i do not know how to post a picture here. I think it is just starting to bud out but you guys should be able to tell.

I dont know what other tree produces a fruit that looks similar to a blackberry. I always assumed it was a mulberry!

Emma

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

Emma, that sounds like a mulberry to me! Sounds like you've got it covered. I've been taking a mental inventory of the perennials I may be able to divide to offer up to all and I'd forgotten guara... we have a white and pink guara patch but I couldn't promise a specific color as the plant is pretty intertwined. Also have lots of irises and lamb's ear. Since much of my garden is composed of divisions I brought from my old house just last year, I hope more have sized up for me to bring a bigger variety next year. Oh, will have dried bamboo stakes, too.

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

Sorry, my phone likes to make duplicate posts. Hopefully this takes the extra one down.

This post was edited by MiaOKC on Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 12:00

• oklavenderlady
    10 years ago

Mia, could you save me a basil seedling, if you have enough? I love fresh basil.

Jo, I forgot to ask earlier. Would you like those 3 cans of baked beans to warm up for the fling? Like I said in my email, its more work for you, so don't feel obligated.

Loretta

• leava
    10 years ago

sad jeff and i won't make it this year but hope you all have tons of fun !!

• redbirdroad
    10 years ago

Jo and Emma-
    We are unable to make it to the Spring Fling, but if you need a backup mulberry option, we have a tree that produces like crazy. If Midwest City is convenient for you, we're happy to share. Now you've got us planning to take cuttings and start a mulberry grove! They freeze beautifully and are wonderful in cobblers and smoothies. Have fun at the Fling!

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

Sure, Loretta! These are still wee babies but I'll bring one for you!

• ReedBaize
    10 years ago

I'm going to have to withdraw my name. My in-laws have decided to visit. Wonderful...

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

Gah, another duplicate. Stupid phone.

This post was edited by MiaOKC on Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 23:22

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

Jo

Surgery went great. Instant results. Look forward to being there with the kids and meeting everyone!

Bonnie

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

I would love to try a mulberry cutting if someone can cut an extra. Thanks.

• joellenh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carol, if someone brings one or two mulberries, I will bow out. You asked first!

Bon, we are SO excited to see you and your children. Cannot wait. I am so glad your surgery went well! Loretta, you are MORE than welcome to bring the cans of beans. A minute or two in the microwave, and we have another side dish!

Jo

This post was edited by joellenh on Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 23:54

• joellenh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just sent maps and directions to everyone who has signed up so far. If I missed you, or if you are confused, please email me.

Jo

• Erod1
    10 years ago

I went out and looked over my mulberry tree yesterday and i saw several places where i could take cuttings of small branches like the guy did in the video. I will bring 4 of them.

Im not sure if they will do anything with his method or not, i think the trick will be keeping them watered well, but i will bring them for the experiment.

On a seperate note, years ago i read in the old farmers almanac that if your mulberry tree is budding/leafing out, there will not be another frost or freeze. If it is not, dont plant yet as there will be another freeze. Just thought it was interesting.

Em

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

Emma, I have read that wildlife prefer mulberry fruit to other fruit so it kind of lures them away from your other trees.

• seeker1122
    10 years ago

I'm bringing Emma(Erod1) yellow cannas. I think you wanted them. Let me know for sure and how many you would like.
    I can always bring extra for other members.
    TREE

• shankins123
    10 years ago

George and Leava and any others that won't be able to make it for various reasons....

I WILL MISS YOU!

I'm sure others feel the exact same way. And...if you're out there and hesitant because you're cautious or you don't know anyone or you don't really have anything to bring...buy a bag of chips or a 12-pack of Coke or something and come on! These folks are as genuinely nice in person as they are on here - you'll be glad you came :)

Sharon

• p_mac
    10 years ago

Where's the "Like" button on what Sharon said????

Ditto. 100 times. You won't be sorry for spending the 3 or so hours at this event! And to those that can't make it...like George, Dorothy, Seedmama, Dawn, RedBirdRoad and several others (Lynn?)....you will be sorely missed!!! We (those that attend) will take lots of pics and show you all what a great time we had! (lol!) Next to planting...THIS is gonna be the highlight of my spring!

ok...so somebody slap me and tell me to be nice. =)

• redbirdroad
    10 years ago

p-mac--- OUCH!
    We hate to miss out, but look forward to seeing the pics. If we could go, we would bring mulberry cuttings. Anyone in OKC-- or who wants to come to OKC for some, please just message me and we'll make it happen.
    have fun!

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

We are going to miss all of you! Sniff, sniff.

If there are some trades for OKC people who can't go, I can take/bring a few.

Sharon mentioned tonight that Tomato Man's Daughter is close by..... :)

• p_mac
    10 years ago

RedBirdRoad - no OUCH intended. Just wanted you to know you'll be missed. In fact, I'll be happy to swing by your place on my way NE if you wanna just leave something on the front porch,,,,and I can leave something on the way back just becuz that's where I live and how I roll. LOL!

Lisa - I think we might be on to something....heh! Seriously, I'm just saying that some of us would be happy to help accomodate trades. In the interest of gardening...and enabling.,,,,,

OK, I'm gonna shut up now....

• joellenh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I haven't been tracking the trades since the last time I posted a sheet here. I'm not sure if I will have time to update (next few days are going to be crazy), but I am hoping that people will remember who they promised what to. I will update if I get a chance.

And....Dawn's not coming? WHAT?!!!! :(

Jo

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

Dawn? You're not going? That stinks!

Bonnie

• chrholme
    10 years ago

Mia,

Could you you save me a mix of plants just no tomatoes? Also, would it be easier if we just swapped here in town since we live so close? The hawthorns fill my car :)

My hubby is excited yours is coming!

I'm looking forward to seeing/meeting everyone this weekend!!

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

Christina - sure! I'll email you.

• joellenh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

George just emailed me a massive list of seeds he is sending. I hope they get here on time! Cross your fingers.

Now, I don't know how you all would like to deal with this. I can list the seeds here and we can have members speak up for what they would like to have. OR, we can split the packets into a few door prizes. It's up to you all!

Seeds George is Sending to GW Spring Fling 2013
    Empereur Alexandre Cuke, Baker Creek
    Delicious 51, Baker Creek ��" cantaloupe
    Collective Farm Woman, Cantaloupe ��" Baker Creek
    Old Timey Cornfield Pumpkin ��" 2009 seed
    Organic Multicolor Popcorn ��" probably Baker Creek
    Squash: Black Futsui ��" Baker Creek
    Crystal Apple Cucumber ��" Sustainable Seed Company
    Pipian from Tuxpan ��" c. argyrosperma grown for its seed. (Baker Creek)
    Angled Luffa ��" 2009 (one pkt)
    Evans Sweet Cantaloupe ��" green fleshed, developed in Oklahoma by Dr. John Wyche. Two packets.
    Black Jungle Butterbean ��" 2009 (1 pkt)
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/legumes/msg051013024705.html
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/legumes/msg0516190620005.html
    Kentucky Red Cowpea 2011 seed ��" 1 large pkt. Received at Gardenweb, Oklahoma forum spring fling in 2008, from Pauline Kincaid. Seed is brick red and flattened, much like a very small lima bean. Plants are vigorous, but not too inclined to climb. Pods are thick.

White Cushaw 2012 seed ��" Rampant vines, very heat and drought resistant. Large, 20 lb. crook necked, fruit
    Moon & Stars Watermelon (white seeded) 2006 seed. ��" Should still grow. Extremely rare heirloom.
    Mesquakie Indian Corn ��" mix of 2007-2012 seed, Very colorful, hardy corn. Quite well adapted to our Oklahoma conditions. A dent corn, tending toward flint. Good for cornmeal.
    Woods Mountain Crazy Bean 2011 seed ��" Bush bean. Very well adapted to our hot conditions. Heirloom from the Fayetteville, AR area. Pods have strings, but are quite tender. High producer. There are NO commercial sources for this valuable seed.
    Georgia Long Cowpea 2007 seed ��" Yardlong. Heat resistant. Good for snaps. Needs poles as it has very long vines. I’ve had this seed germinate after over 10 years in an unrefrigerated jar. I received my seed in the 1980s from Virgil and Hazel Johnson of Liberty, MO; who in turn received their seed from Faxon Stinnet of Vian Oklahoma.
    Cooper’s Running Snap 2009 seed ��" pole bean. Heat resistant. Similar to Rattlesnake. Should be given 1’ space between plants. Heavy producer. Not a stringed bean. Similar to Kentucky Wonder in pod quality.
    Okra: Heavy Hitter 2012 seed (3 pkts) ��" New variety developed by Ron Cook of Moodys, OK. This is a branching okra, similar to Stewarts Zeebest, but with pods more like Clemson Spineless.
    Calico Willow leaf Pole Lima

Jo

• joellenh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Or, we could just have a bin of seeds up for grabs. Just thought of that, because I am slow. :)

Am also wondering if we can do something nice for George too. I don't know if anyone is local to him, but thought that perhaps, if someone is, he could request some of the plants offered here and arrange to for a drop-off or pick-up.

Jo

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

Jo, I like the bins of seeds up for grabs idea. Maybe I can volunteer to bring a box of some small ziplock baggies with a Sharpie to label and everyone who wants can take a few of whatever they want, keep 'em separate in the baggies and label whatever they get?

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

I am up for the sharing idea, since 20 seeds of most of those would give you a chance to try them. I would be interested in the dent corn, okra, and crazy bean, but a small quantity would be fine. When I am given a few seeds, I just grow them out for seed the first year, then in the 2nd year you get a real trial.

They have small plastic bags in the wedding department at Walmart that work great for seeds.

• seeker1122
    10 years ago

I'm with Mia and Soonergrandmom.
    I've been wanting to try the old timey pumpkin and a good branching okra. George makes the Old timey sound great.
    Like with Soonergrandmom I'll only need a few.enough Old timey for one hill to just try it and a few okra plants.
    TREE

• tulsacowboy
    10 years ago

I know I'm fairly new here, but I've been reading a long time and learned a lot. I don't post all that much anywhere, but that's not because I'm averse to it, it's just my style.

With that said, my wife and I (and one 9yr old son) would like to attend this year as we live in the area and like gardening. I think since having gotten to "know" the people here a little bit via posts, that we would enjoy meeting you all and hopefully you all would enjoy meeting us as well.

We would be glad to bring some drink(s), and ice chest and a bag or two of ice, contribution for the "main meat", a door prize or two (jewelry handmade by my wife if that's ok), as well as any spare vegetable seedlings we may have left over by this weekend. It is hard to know what we will have for plants still yet as I didn't plant too many of anything except tomatoes, and by the time I get to plant them I don't know what will still be viable (darn cold!).

Anyway, I will send my email to you Jo as requested and you can decide if I seem like someone to invite or not :-)

• joellenh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mia, if you could bring tiny or small ziploc baggies, I KNOW I have several Sharpie pens around here SOMEWHERE. I think sharing them out to people who want specific seeds is probably the best plan.

Jo

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm