Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

o
Spring Fling 2013 Sign-Up Sheet

Posted by joellenh 6b Jenks (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 10:14

Okay folks, let’s do this!

I am going to set the date for Saturday, 4/20, which sounds like it will work best for most people. Time: From around noon until around 3 PM. If you feel like showing up a little early or staying a little late, I won’t kick you out. :)

For those of you new to the Spring Fling, Carol did an excellent job explaining what to bring and what to expect in the Spring Fling Idea thread, but in case you missed it, here’s a quick rundown.

What to bring:

Extra plants, seedlings, or garden related stuff you have lying around. If you don’t have any, no worries! There are usually extras. Last year I had no plants to trade, but tried to make up for it in other ways (I brought a couple of extra-special dishes and did the kiddie door prizes).

At least one dish to pass. Anything from main dishes to salads to side dishes to desserts.

We always have a drawing for door prizes. It’s a lot of fun, and if you can, bring a door prize or two to go into the drawing. Like Carol said, door prizes can be anything related to gardening. I got an outdoor thermometer one year and a jar of jelly and a hummingbird feeder the next (which I promptly traded for a cool metal pinwheel/wind spinner stake) :). One year someone brought a huge bag of bunny poop, which I thought was an EXCELLENT prize, and the kind I’d really like to win! Homemade prizes are always welcome, and in my opinion, they are the best kind! Homemade jellies, handmade signs, homemade soap, hand-painted birdhouse gourds…

Folding or patio chairs that you can easily transport. Enough to seat whomever you are bringing.

Who is welcome:

All OK Garden Web members and their close friends or families. Children are especially encouraged. I have two of my own, ages 4 and 6, and they would love some other kids to play with. The more, the better! I have a large play set for them to play on, and a fenced yard where they can run to their heart’s content.

What I will be responsible for:

The venue :P

I will keep track of everyone who signs up on a spreadsheet. To sign up, you need to reply to this thread telling us how many people you’re bringing, and how many children. THEN you need to e-mail through my page with your personal e-mail address. Before the fling, I will send each of you my address, a map, and directions.

I will provide name tags for everyone.

I will provide a ton of ice..

I will bring a dish to pass and a door prize, like everyone else. If I find myself with the time and the means, I will also try to do prizes/goody bags for the children again.

Paula has VERY GRACIOUSLY been mentoring me through this process, and has volunteered to bring paper goods (cups, plates, napkins, cutlery), door prize tickets, and some folding tables.

What I need help with:

Beverages. If every family/group could bring just one bottle or jug of soda/lemonade/iced tea/water/fruit juice, it would be a huge help.

Coolers: I only own one large cooler. I am guessing that we are going to need a LOT of ice to chill beverages, and possibly to keep a few dishes cool. If a few people could sign up to also bring coolers for us to use for the day, that would be great.

Good news! I don’t *think* we need to collect for a potty fund this year! I live within 1-2 minutes of at least two gas stations, and 3-4 minutes from several fast food places. So unless the general consensus is that we NEED a potty on site, I think we can skip it.

What I would like to propose instead is a meat/main dish fund. One year Paula provided vast quantities of fried chicken and brisket for everyone, and I know it was an expense. I would anticipate that just a few dollars per family or group would cover this expense. Certainly five dollars or less. If you can’t afford it, no worries! I’m sure it will work out in the end, and we are willing to cover any budget shortfalls. Dave makes a MEAN smoked brisket, and I hope to talk him into making a few for the party.

I think that’s it! Time to start signing up!

Jo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spring Fling 2013 Sign-Up Sheet

I'm in. :)

Lisa

o

PS if anyone has a potty emergency (I know how kids are!!!) They are welcome to use the powder room which is just inside the back door of my house.

Jo

o

Officially signing up!

E

o

Officially signing up!

E

o

1 Adult
8 year old boy
5 year old girl

o

Bon, are you really coming? I should have a peony I can pot up for your daughter!

Lisa

o

My husband and I are both in! We'll be bringing food and drinks, plants, a couple door prizes, money for meat, and a cooler (possibly 2).

I might also have some people from the SNU Community Garden coming, too, but I'll wait to sign them up until I know for sure that they'll be able to come.

Hooray!

o

I keep trying to "like" these posts...dang Facebook! I am going to keep a running tally of confirmed email sign-ups here to the best of my ability, and also email Paula a copy of my spread sheet daily in case of a computer crash or something! And also, if I miss you, you can let me know!
lisa_h Lisa Adults:1
erod1 Emma Adults:1
chickencoupe Bonnie Adults:2, KIds: 2
theflyingace Katie Adults:2

o

JoEllen, I do that all the time. I'm always looking for the like button :)

o

Thanks so much for hostessing, Jo! I'm very much looking forward to it. Am thinking now on what I will bring, am happy to contribute ice chest, drinks, food, $, etc, just have to work on what I can divide or pot up or whatever. Will it be too confusing to set up person-to-person swaps/shout-outs on this thread as well as signing up?

I will be there with my husband, so 2 adults.

Lisa and Sharon, I won't be able to carpool since I've got that work function the same night, but will look forward to catching up with you at the fling!

o

Thank you for hosting, I'm in, and hope to bring a friend who has sent plants the last two times but has never gotten to come. I'll commit to food & a couple of door prizes, and $ and I think I'll mostly have ornamentals to share, unless anybody wants reseeding arugula, I have LOTS of that.

o

Mia, I have you down for two adults. Bettycbowen, I still need to get an email from you to add your name and email to the spreadsheet, so that I can send you map/address/directions!

I don't think it will be too confusing to keep track of plant trades here. I can start a separate tab on my spreadsheet to track trades.

What *I* would love:
Any strawberry runners or blackberry shoots. I know this is a long-shot, but figured it's worth putting out there just in case.

I'd also LOVE some crape myrtle cuttings and a few more of Paula's wild plums. :)

Jo

o

Jo, Al and I plan to come. I will bring a meat since I don't have as far to travel this time. Maybe a ham or turkey and I'll let you know later. I will also bring a large ice chest with a couple of cases of water. I'm sure I will bring more food, but I don't have it planned at the moment. I'll bring door prizes, but I don't think I will have plants to bring....I know that is hard to believe. LOL I can also contribute to the fun fund. Thanks for doing this. Carol

o

Yes! I'll be there :)

I'll bring some sort of food (haven't given it much thought, quite yet), and a 2liter of Diet Dr. Pepper, a door prize, and (hopefully) some tomato and pepper plants..those are in progress, so we'll see :)

Can't wait!
Sharon

o

Jo I emailed you my address, let me know if you don't get it. When it stops raining I will dig up some crepe myrtle for you, mine are about 50 years old so there are always little ones.

o
RE: Spring Fling 2013 Sign-Up Shee

Jo I emailed you my address, let me know if you don't get it. When it stops raining I will dig up some crepe myrtle for you, mine are about 50 years old so there are always little ones.

o

OMG, OMG, OMG!!! I'm so excited to see EVERYONE else so excited!!! Jo knows to count 2 for me, maybe 3 or 4. I'm going to try to entice a former member, Ilene, to come with us but don't anybody tell her!!! (Carol & Diane, I'm talking to you! lol!)

Jo - you just send me whatever. I gother back! I'm just so excited to be able to go somewhere for this besides my own front yard!!!! I'll probably miss that convenience a year or two down the road, but right now I'm STOKED to get to go to Jo's!!!

Betty - I wouldn't mind some re-seeding arugula. And Jo - I'll pot you up some more plums. If you are willing to consider wild blackberries (they have thorns) I can certainly provide those too. I don't know if I will be able to tell which ones are viable this early, but we can take our chances.

I think I'll have a few tomatoes to share and most definately some peppers. And like JoEllen said previously, I'm bringing all the table/paperware (since I'll probably be the first one there. I'm going to Jenks on Friday. We may have to have a ceremonial passing of the torch the nite before....ha!)

This is going to be so much fun! And I'm really proud of all the OKC area peeps that have said they're attending! A few miles on a Saturday isn't going to keep our garden family from getting together!

Paula

o

Jo,
What is your "last date" to sign up? We are supposed to go camping with friends that weekend but are having trailer brake problems that might postpone those plans, and if we don't go I'd really like to come to the Spring Fling. It's just that I won't know for sure until the date is closer.

Suzie

o

Thank you for having it this year I get to see my family.They live near Keystone Lake.
I will bring DH and my mother.She's bringing a dessert and a door prize.
I will unlikely have plants this year but will bring door prize food and probably cured gourds(raw ones not painted and made into something).
I emailed you for directions. Thanks again
TREE

o

Okay, morning summary. Still need email addresses for:
Tree
Carol
Shanon (I also need attendees for you). :)

photo spring_zpse40248e8.jpg

Jo

o

PS: I realized it was silly to ask for strawberry runners. Even if anyone has any, the effort to pot up and transport would be huge. I can get bare root plants cheaply (and will)!

I am going to go through this thread again and start tracking plant requests and offers.

Suzie, I would imagine you could sign up anytime. I plan to send a group email with maps/directions a few days prior to the event, but I can always send a second email for last-minute sign-ups.

Jo

o

Sharon is just one :) We will be carpooling together.

I have a few zuchetta packages if anyone wants some.

I have one reserved for Tiger Dawn
I have one split between Susan and Moni (I'll do these outside of the fling, just noting them so I don't forget :))

I will most likely have some white iris orientalis if anyone hasn't gotten any yet :)

I should have some black and blue salvia

Here is a link that might be useful: Iris Orientalis

o

Paula, I'd LOVE some wild blackberries. I think that they might be more hardy than the ones I had. I am so upset that mine are all dead. I had a bunch of them, all started from the off-shoots of just a few plants. And the berries were huge and delicious.

I'd also love to take a couple more wild plums of your hands. :) I took three last year, and the smallest two died right away, but the largest one is doing great.

Betty, thank you so much for the offer of crape myrtle cuttings!

I have some fig trees (Chicago Hardy, if I remember correctly) that are still quite small. I *THINK* they are alive, just dormant. One or two people are welcome to take cuttings from them if you know how. I am afraid I would kill them or the cutting by trying.

Jo

o

Plant offer/trades so far. I am super anal, so forgive me. I was an accountant in a past life (15 years ago).

photo planttrade_zps62b71f60.jpg

Jo

o

Will be there this year. Will bring 2 12-pks of cola plus the other things. There will be 2 adults. I will email you this afternoon.

Loretta

o

I'm a sometimes poster, haven't posted in quite a while, but lurk and read posts. I'd like to attend. Will most likely just be me. That's Sandy S. Email is on my page. Thanks for doing this. I'm excited to meet some of the NE Oklahoma bunch.

Sandy

o

Hi all, I cannot see private email addresses on your GW pages. So you need to email me through my GardenWeb page and include your private email address, in order for me to send you address/map/directions before the fling.

Thanks so much,

Jo

o

Rethinking the drink(s) I'm bringing....instead of a 2-liter, would it be preferable/easier for me to bring a 12-pack?? I can do either one - what do you think?

Betty...do you know what variety of crape myrtle you have? If it is guaranteed to stay in the 8-10ft range, I might be interested, too :)

Thanks!
Sharon...and yes; there will be only myself for the count

o

Zucchetta Alert - I never grow more than 3 plants and it is more than we can eat fresh. Also, it is a monster plant that needs a strong fence or trellis. We only eat it as a summer squash, but it will take up as much (or more) garden space as a winter squash plant. We think it is a great squash, but gardener beware.

I am planting at my son's house this year, so I am interested in most any perennial plant that would provide food for humans, wildlife, or butterflies. LOL So far I have only been planting fruit and nut trees, but I will be adding other things for the next couple of years. I'm not asking for anything special, but I have plenty of room to plant. It is in Zone 6, so the tender things might not work.

Does anyone grow hazelnuts here?

o

I grew my zucchetta mostly on the ground, but a few found their way to my chain link fence. The squash are straighter if they are on a trellis. The ones that grew on the ground were curly q'd. So, better on a trellis, but if you want ground cover, it makes a pretty good one. The squash bugs don't bother it. At least, they didn't mine.

o

Count me in. I don't have any spare plants but I'll certainly bring some seeds.

o

I am starting a wish list of things I might want, but did think it might be wise to tour my landscape and see what I can give before asking. Then I decided, the heck with that! :)

I am interested in some ornamental grass divisions, some hostas (preferably variegated), naked lady lilies, tiger lilies, any color of peony (my favorite!), artemesia, or any other not-too-thuggish perennials. We too are working on filling in a pretty blah landscape, but I did learn a valuable lesson after planting a sweet co-worker's beebalm that not all people get along with all plants equally.

As far as what I have to give, off the top of my head: elephant garlic (I think, it came with the house and I didn't know it was there until the seedheads went up last year), irises, daffodils, cuttings from boxwoods, lavender and hot pink crape myrtles (don't know the max size, currently are probably 10 ft), rose of sharon, wisteria, and bamboo canes. Might have some veggie seedlings, too, but nothing terribly rare or unusual.

o

I plan to be there. I don't have much to give away this year but I'll certainly bring some of the Porter - Charles Herring Strain seeds.

o

I'm so bummed! I am a newbie and would certainly have benefited from something like this but of course we are headed to Texas for Tough Mudder that weekend. Hope everyone has a great time!

o

Count me in, and possibly the friend who came with me two years ago. I'll bring something, and if she comes lll make her bring something good. She and her husband are great bakers.

o

Joellen,

I sent you a message.

Sandy

o

I would like a zuchetta, warnings well noted:). I am always happy for tomatoes, hot peppers & eggplant, but really am trying to accumulate sedum of any kind.

I will have lambs ear, Purple Heart, variegated Purple Heart, old fashioned tall pink phlox, and some very reliable field pea seed my dad (then I) have planted & saved over 50 years between us. A friend is sending a flat of ox eye daisy & flat of coreopsis. If they are up in time, I will bring fireworks globe amaranth, a fun plant. And arugula of course. I have an arugula jungle.

My crepe myrtle is quite tall, looks like I can dig up two good starts.

o

Betty, my zucchetta are seed packets, not plants, I would love some purple heart, could I trade you? :)

Lisa

o

Hi all. Morning update: I am faithfully tracking the plant requests and offers. I'll post a picture of that sheet every couple of days, in case someone can fill a request and doesn't have time to comb through this entire thread.

***IMPORTANT***. When you email me through GardenWeb, it does so anonymously! I cannot see your email address, nor can I reply to the email. You must include your email address in the text of the message.

For example: Hi, my name is Pete, I will be bringing two adults, and my email address is pete@yahoo.com.

This will become critical when the time comes for me to email everyone with address and directions.

attendees for whom I still need email addresses:

Sharon
Loretta
Sandy
Carol
(got your phone numbers, thanks)!

Finally, I received an email from james1953 stating that he works Saturdays, and cannot come, but that he'd like to donate a large sum of money. This is likely a joke, but if not, I wanted to thank him for the kind offer, but we cannot possibly accept. I can't find his username in a search to reply privately.

That's it for today!

Thanks,

Jo

o

Hi, i will be bringing a LOT of goodies (mostly decorative, but all garden related) and will be looking for 6-8 tomato plants ready to be put in the ground. I would like early and long producers. So, if anyone is willing to take a risk on trading tomatoes for whatever i bring, that is my wish list.

Also, i may have a plant or two to bring after all. I have 2 large Peonies that need dividing, but i thought i was supposed to do that in the fall? If you guys tell me i can do it in the spring, say the day before the event, i will divide and bring the divisions.

Thanks

E

o

Also, just in case anyone would rather have useful merchandise, i am sweetening the pot with whatever you would like from my feed store. Do you need a bag of 14% creep? A bag of dog food? Some chicken scratch? Some bird seed? A bag of horse feed?

If anyone is wondering, i would really love some tomato plants from someone who has grown them ( heirloom??? Anyone?) and knows how they are going to perform, otherwise i would just go to lowes or home depot and buy some.

So, if anyone is interested and has any extra tomatoes for me, please let me know.

E

o

I wish I could make it but will be gone to Missouri for a bachelorette party that day. I had been looking forward to meeting everyone. Dang! Next year!

o

E - I do not have anything special or any special knowledge, but I will let you know that the last two years, when I attended the Fling, I left with no fewer than a dozen heirloom tomatoes. :) I think you will be lucky to get out with just 6-8 - they are so darn tempting with their sturdy little seedlings and enchanting names! A tomato-mania definitely sweeps the Fling - picture Black Friday but with seedlings. Ha ha! Ok, maybe a notch below the intensity of Black Friday, but it is really an amazing event. I hope someone comes along with a specific swap that they can set up with you soon. And if they don't want those peony divisions you are offering, I'd happily take you up on them! (I've divided peonies fall and spring and they have lived, I'm not sure of the "right" time.)

The designated "swaps" are often just a way to make sure people get their hearts' desires, if they need something in particular or want to share with a specific person. As far as I know, each year the Fling has included people bringing all their left-over, backup and extra plants, in addition to tons of perennial and bulb divisions and plant goodies and these are placed in a "Free" area, which doesn't have designated swaps and are there for the taking, even if you weren't able to contribute this year... that's the genius of this event with all the huge-hearted gardeners in this forum! I am talking dozens if not a few hundred plants - a TON. I don't know that they always have that many, I'm sure it depends on who has had to fall back into their back-up stash, how much people have already gotten in the ground, etc., but I have never known anyone to lack for tomatoes... especially if Dawn, the Tomato Queen, is able to come to the event, and her weather cooperates enough for her to share all her back-ups. Chandra used to bring lots of seedlings but recently moved to the Middle East, however I imagine there are other green thumbs who will bring lots of baby tomatoes! I'll have some small ones, although I drastically cut back the quantity of seedlings I made this year, but I still have too many to plant in my garden. I seed mostly hybrids, though, because they have best performance for my lazy gardening ways. Last year I did get later-summer production from the heirloom cherries and one heirloom slicer I got at the Fling. I've only a few years experience, and so that's not enough to go on.

o

Jo -

I'd recommend you change your passwords because of james' email. Just in case.

Be safe!

bon

o

Mia,

Thanks for the info. Ive never been and dont participate much here, i just read everything. I will definitely save you a peony. The last time i divided was 10 years ago, i just dug it up, cut it in half with a knife, and then replanted.

I now have 2 large ones and will do the same thing. I will bring the halves, im not sure if they could be cut in half again???

But i will definitely earmark one for you!

Thanks for the info on how the swaps work, i will just bring my garden decor goodies that i have an over abundance of and my peonies and go from there!

Thanks a million

Emma

o

Erod, I know you can't advertise here, but you can answer my question. Do you sell alfalfa meal?

o

There are always a bazillion extra tomato plants! I left with a few last year, and didn't even mean to. Thank you all so much :).

And yeah, the email from "James" was weird. He wanted my home address to send me money. ($100). My guard went up right away. If Dave knew about this, he would insist I cancel the whole affair.

Again, If this was a sincere offer, I thank you for it. But really we just need a dollar or two per person to provide meat!

Jo

o

Thanks, Emma, I would certainly appreciate it! As days go on, more and more people will post things they plan to bring, and just keep checking the thread to see if someone specs out a certain kind of heirloom especially for you or might post that they are bringing such and such kinds and you can ask for them to put your name on it!

Usually there is a separate folding table(s) set up for pre-arranged swaps, and you just write the name of the recipient on with a paper or tape a note to it or whatever. Then there is the bonanza set up over on the free table/side of the venue, which last year was probably a 20-30 foot long aisle of plant lovelies for the taking! I had pre-figured how many more tomatoes I could plant in my garden, and firmly resolved to only choose my very favorites and stick to that number, but instead I got out with about 3-4 more than I'd sworn I would. It all worked out because I'd inadvertently planted four determinate tomatoes earlier in the year and I soon had space for the extras.

Remember to bring chairs or a blanket or both, and maybe some kind of cardboard box/flats to corral all your take-home goodies. My little Toyota SUV was actually packed with divisions and seedlings - I suspect a lot of the generous people on this forum only bring but do not take - to allow lots of us newer gardeners the benefits of their expertise, hard work and wisdom. Kind of like the advice we get here online, but in person!

o

Lile

o

Lisa, zuchetta seeds are fine, thanks.

I'd love a Chicago hardy fig, I will read up on how to do a cutting.

And I'd never turn down a chunk of peony any time of year.

o

Carol, i do not really know. My husband and son run the place and i just threw out the names of a few things i know they keep. If you want i can check for you and bring you a bag.

Everyone, I do want to be very clear as there was a misunderstanding last year here with a lady who really hurt my feelings. I am not trying to sell anything here. There was a huge hay shortage and i offered to put 2 people in touch with those that needed hay and was accused of trying to make a buck. I would never do such a thing.

I only mentioned i could bring the things from the feed store when i didnt realize quite how the swap worked, as i really dont have any plants for the garden to offer.

Carol, this is not intended for you, just a general notice so that everyone will know because the hay incident really did hurt my feelings.

I will check on the alfalfa thing for you and if we have what you are looking for, i will bring it for you. Also Carol, did you read that awful april fools joke in the paper laxt week? Had my poor elderly father in law all up on arms. He thought it was real!

Emma

o

Emma, I have had my feelings hurt too, while trying to help! It's all good. I am sure that no one thinks you are here to make money!

One of my many (many) mistakes over the years: someone asked for a potato fork. Like a pitch fork, for digging potatoes. And me, all proud of my Google skills, linked to a little tiny fork for turning baked potatoes.

And then, last year, I felt sorry for Paula and the potty/meat fund. I tried to get people to sign up for a set donation, not realizing that even a few dollars might be a hardship to some members here. Lesson learned. We give what we can, and take what we need if it is offered.

You should not feel badly about offering a good that people requested at your cost. In my opinion, you are a good friend/ neighbor/forum member. I would LOVE to have people bring me stuff I requested at cost.

Jo

o

Ps
If anyone has bags of vegetarian poop:..horse cow bunny... Please bring! I think that is an awesome prize. I would LOVE to win a bag of poop. I would also be willing to pay a reasonable amount for said bag

Jo

o

I am coming!!!!

Moni

o

Erod, If I decide to get some, I would expect to pay retail. I just keep forgetting to check at our co-op. I have never used alfalfa meal, but have always heard good things about it. When I saw 'feed store', it reminded me that I wanted to try some, since I watched a video just last night where Eliot Coleman was talking about it. BTW, thanks, and I got your email.

Sometimes I think things sound a little mean on the forum when that isn't the intention, but this forum usually isn't too bad.

Jo, I remember the potato fork and have a chuckle when I think about it. LOL We are all new at one time and have to learn the terminology of most every new thing we try. My new thing is to learn to graft, so I am in search of seedlings under every fruit tree, so I can try to draft something good onto it. I have bought the tools, but will have to wait until next year to hone my skills, but I am trying to grow out some seedlings so I can practice before I start buying rootstock. I have ordered and planted 12 new trees at my son's house, but I hope to learn to graft so I can keep adding more every year.

I was the winner of the bunny poop last time.

o

I would love a peony
When my DH grand parents died I said I want her peonys the guy that bought the house said dig up whatever is there you have 48 hrs
i dug i knew she had that peony 30 years it was huge
I have a little piece of history. cool
I also want a passion vine
TREE

when

o

I have horse, cow and goat poopies. I will bag up one bag of each and bring with me.

I will also bring a door prize, a side dish, some soda and tea and and money for the food fund.

I guess im going to have to take the 3rd row seat out of my SUV and lay the 2nd row all the way down, but you know, i am so danged excited about this, im just going to fill her to the brim!

And really, this is an excellent way for me to do some spring cleaning in my garage and pass on the things that i no longer use. So, its a real win/win situation.

I better go through this thread and make a list of everything i have declared i am bringing and start gathering it up.

So so so excited!

o

Ok, so far i see Mia, bettyc and seeker want a piece of the peony. That leaves 1 piece. Who did i miss?

Seker, ive had this peony for about 17 years and i got the original division from my mother in law who had it at least 30 years and she got her start from her mother in law! So, this is a very old plant.

I also have a motherinlaw tongue plant in my house that came from my grandmother. Ive had it 25 years and i know she had it at least that long. Plants are amazing.

Also, i need to ask, when i dig the plant up and divide it, can i just set the divisions in a cardboard box or do i ned to have dirt around them? I wont dig them up until the day before. I am already seeing some pretty large eyes poking through the soil. Any help here is appreciated so that i dont bring any dead plants!

o

Erod, I would love to have a peony if you have an extra. I planted one when I moved here, but after adding a bathroom in a remodel, the peony had a lot of shade. I tried moving it, but guess I didn't do it right.

o

Here is a pic of the requests and offers I have so far. If I have missed you, please let me know!

photo swapsheet_zps6e161ff8.jpg

Jo

o

I got a giggle when I added Carol to the spreadsheet. Anything Edible.It's about time you all gave me a chuckle, after I am SURE you all laughed until your sides hurt over the potato fork post!

Jo

o

Here is the sign up sheet so far. Sending a copy to Paula right now. Still need email for Carol and Sharon, and guest number for Moni (just you?).

photo signup_zps9f6deced.png

Jo

o

Jo, I sent it yesterday, but will try again. Actually you can drop the 'anything edible' line off of mine, I think. I don't even know if I will plant a garden at my son's house this year, but I am planting trees and berry vines and once I get the bed ready will be adding asparagus, horseradish, walking onions, etc. Most of that I will order or already have, but I also want elderberries, mulberries, filberts, and some things that are a little unusual. That is what I meant by anything edible, not annual crops, so you can just remove that comment.

I plant my annual garden at home, but I am trying to start long term things at the farm. Guess I wasn't very clear.

o

Carol, so sorry if I offended:(. I will change the sheet to reflect your requests for elderberries, mulberries, and filberts!

Jo

o

I'm just not much into gardening this year.

I have a large bag of rabbit stock: poop mixed in with alfalfa hay and alfalfa powder if anyone needs nitrogen infusion.

And vermicompost.

o

Jo, HaHa, I am not easily offended so it would take a lot more than that.

o

I have some small forsythia bushes to bring to the fling if someone wants them. You can thank Moni...she came over and helped me dig them AND pot them up! I have some baby tradescantia (spiderwort) too.

Moni, I forgot to give you your seeds!

Bon, I hope you can find a little gardening spark, I potted up a pink peony for your daughter!!

o

ty, Moni :) The thought had crossed my mind! The one I planted last year didn't make it. I can try potting soil in my large planter.

o

Apologies. I mean to type Lisa. I know who you are! Sheesh.. it's late and I'm tired.

I just found the other post about potting it up! We are definitely coming - neck brace and all. Hope I don't scare the other kids. hehe

Bonnie

o

Yes, Moni as one person... cause, that is what I am. :)

o

DH and I are coming. I had about 15 forsythias but I traded them for lots of farm fresh eggs. I do have a few left that I will bring. I'll also bring some daisies (probably "Becky" or similar variety), some orange daylilies, probably some baby Rose of Sharons, some daffodils (mostly Ice Follies), some blue perennial salvia, and whatever sprouts up in the garden between now and then. I'm expecting orange cosmos and purple perilla to sprout. I have some prickly pear with big pads and yellow flowers that I'm happy to bring if anyone wants some but I won't otherwise so speak up if you do.

Would people like homemade hotpads as a door prize? I plan to bring several things but I didn't know if that would be garden related enough.

As for food...I'll probably bake something.

o

Morning update! I now have email addresses for everyone who has signed up so far, with the exception of shankins123 :)

photo planttrade_zpsc658d15a.png

photo signup_zps4c54db2f.png

Jo

o

Tigerdawn, I would like a Becky please, I keep trying
To establish a Rudibeckia section going and Becky is my favorite.

In working in the garden yesterday I found a few Gaura that had spread if anybody is interested. There are both pink & white & I failed to keep them seperate when I dug.

o

Please count my husband and I in! (2 adults) I'm unsure what I'll be able to bring plant wise this year, but I'll scout the nursery when it gets closer! I'm happy to bring bags of ice, drinks, and some sort of food item.

I also have a ton of plastic plant flats and pots from the nursery if anyone is interested in those? Let me know how many you would like and I'll throw them in there too :)

o

trees4ok - that's EXACTLY the stuff that people contribute that makes this group & our swap so unique!! Yes, plants are important but DUH! Ya gotta have the support tools behind them like the pots, the flats, the manure, etc.

Bring them! I'm pretty sure you won't take any extra's back home. (and I will personally take any left overs).

o

I am was just getting ready to buy more small square pots that fit into a 1020 tray. Maybe I will wait until after the fling. I start everything in soil blocks, but I like to move the tomato babies up to small pots that fit in trays because I move them in and out so many times before planting time. I have used the same ones for 4 or 5 years and they are shot.

o

wow so many plants.
Betty has some things I would like can't hurt to request cuz I can't afford to buy them. Brent's dad was diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer he can't work and his mother can't work so any left over cash we have is going to help them.
Betty I would like purple hearts,arugula,amaranth and lambs ear. If I have anything u want I will bring if I have it.
I have 2 fig trees in a gallon pot don't know if they are dead or sleeping. I have yellow cannas,white irisis and I'll have to look for what else I can dig.
TREE

o

*hugs* moni! Maybe something's going with with ya and I need to pray for you! I don't know why I thought of your name, otherwise. I'm glad you're going. I look forward to meeting you and everyone!

o

Oh fer goodness sakes. I don't mean "something wrong with ya", but maybe you're hurting from something.

Bonnie

o

I would love to have some yellow Cannas!!

Emma

o

Sigh...once again we have a conflict. I was sure hoping to come since it is so close to us this year and maybe talk George and Jerreth into carpooling with us. But...baby chicks arrive Friday and we don't dare leave them for an entire day right after they get here. So you all have fun and post pics afterwards.

o

Bon, nothing wrong.. nothing taken the wrong way... I am a single woman... and will come by myself.

I'll be glad to meet you. :)

Moni

o

I meant to mention this, but if you have small, well-behaved pets that hate being left alone, you are welcome to bring them.

I am thinking of Carol here, and her poor sick little dog in the car a couple of years back. My yard is fenced. I have two small dogs of my own. One is a barker and one is a jumper, but if they behave I'll let them out. If they are bad they can stay inside.

My only concern with other people bringing pets would be that the gates will be opened as people arrive/leave/ and haul plants back and forth to their cars.

I am only half joking when I say that mulberryknob, you are welcome to bring your chicks. You can stick them on my breakfast nook table and care for them as needed. I have no idea what caring for baby chicks entails, or if the trip would be too hard for them.

Jo

o

What if my dog is extremely well behaved and small in spirit?

o

Jo, That was the only time he has been sick like that, but I had to bring him along and just make multiple trips to the car to check on him. I finally did let him join the party at the very end. He now has 'foster parents' that love to keep him, so maybe he will not have to come this year. LOL

o

I also want to mention something else. I have had a few emails from concerned members. First I got that strange post from a member offering a large sum of money. Then, a two year old post was revived from someone wanting my dead trees. So I wanna announce here and now that NO ONE is getting my address, email address, directions, etc unless they are a known gw member. If I don't recognize your name, I am asking Paula. If she doesn't recognize your name, we will ask around. But any lurkers can stop the creepy emails. Jo

o

Gotcher back, Jo!!! And if I don't recognize the name nor do any of the other long-time members....hang it up.

It's a long practiced protocal that anyone who wants to attend must sign up here on this thread. Just makes reasonable sense that any reasonable person would understand.

Paula

o

I think that is an excellent idea Jo, i dont post a lot, but i think Carol will remember me as we have talked about my place on the lake where she lives and ive emailed back and forth privately with Dawn a few times.

Let me know if if i can be of any help.

Also, if anyone has limited car space, i have a few extra chairs i will bring just in case.

Emma

o

I want to say I'm sorry if my offer offended anyone. I didn't think it was that extavagant for all the information I've received here the past few years. I never intended to scare anyone or make anyone feel creepy. Again I'm sorry.

o

James....planning the Spring Fling always brings up our "scary" defenses. I refused to go to the first few flings. I finally made myself go and get over my natural fear. We always laugh and say, "oh you all are not axe murderers" when we get to know one another. However, the people who are hosting the flings at their house are taking the leap of faith to a much higher level and exposing themselves and their families to a lot of unknowns.

I'm glad to see you are real and hopefully we didn't scare you off! Hang around and let us get to know you!

o

Hi James. You put up my guard because you could not attend, yet offered a very generous donation. I have said it before and will say it again. We only need a few bucks per group or family. I would NOT know what to do with such a windfall! I would have to ask here about what people wanted to do with the extra money.

The information here is free, and it's priceless. IMO, we have the most expert gardeners in the country. People who battle 15 degree temps one day, and too much heat the next. They all share, and a ton of us are clueless and just try to suck in the info.

you do not have to pay for this information! It is given gladly from people who just want to help. I hope you can make it to the party next year. And then, you can bring a few dollars to help out.

:)

Jo

o

Hi James! Apologies if I offended you. Your authenticity is noted! Look forward to meeting you or, at least, reading your posts. :)

Bonnie

o

BTW, I THINK (?) the spreadsheets I've been posting here are harmless. I've excluded private info like email addresses and childrens' ages. But I can stop posting them all together if anyone thinks that the info in them (first name, user name, number of people coming) could be used in any weird way. Probably should have asked about that a week ago!

Jo

o

A couple of other members confirmed that the info on the spreadsheets are harmless, so I will continue to post updated ones as I get new info. Things have been pretty stable over the last couple of days, with no major changes. I think I added a few new trades.

I ordered the goody bag items for the children, and am crossing my fingers that they arrive on time! I am also hoping that more people with kids will come. So far we only have 4-6 children signed up, excluding a baby. Chandra has moved, Jammie and Dana can't come; and that's half of the previous kids that won't be here this year. Very sad. :(

Jo

o

If other GW members don't mind, I would like to invite a few local GOOD friends.

They will all be instructed to bring chairs, a dish or two to pass, and a drink. They will be asked to bring 1-2 door prizes per family and any extra plants/cuttings/seedlings.

I will tell them that if they don't have plants to share, they can still come, but they may not TAKE plants until it is clear that all of the regular forum members are done, and that any plants leftover are extra and up for grabs. I will personally contribute money for them into the meat/main dish fund.

Does this sound okay to everyone? I have 4 local families that I am very good friends with, and most are gardeners. 3 couples with 2 kids each, and my elderly neighbors (no kids). I would only expect about half of them to accept the invitation (maybe 4 adults and 2-4 kids). I am getting nervous about the small amount of children signed up so far.

Jo

o

LOL It's your house, I think you should invite whomever you wish.

o

I'm all for the more the better.
I wanted to spend the day with just my mom. But I have a niece and nephew that can come and
DH is going to be there anyhoo.
I would love to see my family to love gardening and learning.
They didn't have the chance to grow up with a master gardener like I did TREE

o

Jo - speaking from experience - it's just fine for you to invite special people in your life that you think would enjoy being there with all of us. My BFF from Mississippi was at our Fling a couple of years ago! My in-laws have attended the last couple years and a dear child-hood close friend also attended a couple of years ago.

I've found that gardening is a universal language. A gardener is a gardener is a gardener...I'd bet your special peeps will blend right in!

Paula

o

Thanks Carol, Paula, and Tree.

By the way, this is SO *not* MY party! It's your party. It just happens to be on my patch of grass this year.

I just wanted to ask here first, and assure members that I will ask my friends not to run around snatching plants that regular forum members might want. I will ask them to wait and take a few leftovers if they want them. I think it would be HORRIBLY rude for non-forum members to take plants that our members here might want, so I will warn them against that!

Thanks,

Jo

o

I ordered the kids' goody bag stuff a few days ago. I *think* (cross your fingers) that it will arrive on time. Each child will receive: a bee tote bag, filled with: a butterfly visor, bunny gum tape, two jelly bean filled carrots, a bunny candy bracelet, an insect finger puppet, FIVE insect/reptile tatoos, garden-themed finger bubbles, a create your own garden sticker scene, and a caterpillar/butterfly set of lollipops. photo gwkiddobags_zpsa3cd2213.png

o

SO DISAPPOINTED!
Reading about all of the preparations for the Fling makes me wish all the more that we could attend. For the past two years, we have had scheduling conflicts, but you will be in our thoughts. Enjoy the wonderful day. -I just wanted to go on record as an OKC-dweller who would happily make the trip to Tulsa to meet you all again. Have a wonderful time, and hope to see you next year!
with love from the tallest woman you have ever seen

o

Very cute bags Jo!!! What ages, approximately will the children be? I am debating bring my granddaughter......

o

The kids signed up so far are 3-8!!!

o

My elderly neighbors have opted out, and another neighbor with kids has plans. So I was pretty dead on with my predictions. We will be bringing 4 extra adults and 4 extra kids. Jo

o
So, close, yet so far...

Folks, it is with a heavy heart that I'm going to have to say that I can't make it (again). There are just to many commitments tugging at me right now. Today I'm going to be up in Commerce for the whole day, taking some special training. I choose to do this. But it's hard, as I know that I'm behind on garden prep, and, I can't afford another Saturday away from the garden.

Jo, if you would send me your mailing address, I'll send a bit of seed to contribute.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o

As promised above, i am reporting back with my first plant contribution to the swap! I have Snowcap Indian Hawthorns in a 3 gallon container, 7 of them :)

I am needing Martha Washington petunias or any kind of veggie/fruit plants.

Anyone want to trade? I will continue to hunt around the nursery and report my findings. :)

o

Christina, I'd love to do some horse tradin'! I'll post my seedling list in a bit and you can tell me if anything strikes your fancy.

o

Aw, George, totally bummed.

Emma needs to retract her offer for peonies, as hers are too big for dividing. She'd like to offer Stella Daylillies instead. I have removed the peony requests/offers from the sheet.

photo planttrade_zps1703dd63.jpg
 photo signup_zps6a564757.png

Jo

o

If anyone attending has a mulberry tree and wouldn't mind taking a cutting or two, I'd love to have one. We lost our mulberry tree when we rebuilt.

I just watched a youtube video, and the guy makes it seem like it is VERY easy to grow a mulberry tree from a cutting. He just hacked off a skinny little branch, stripped off the lower leaves, and stuck it in the ground!!! I had to pick my jaw up off the floor. He claims to have a 100% success rate with this method though, so I figure it's worth a shot.

Jo

o

Jo,

I do have a Mulberry tree. Well, im 99% positive it is. If you tell me how to do a cutting, i am happy to do it!

Edit: oops, i should have read more carefully. Ok, so i will just cut off a few small branches and bring them? Should i stick them in some dirt? Wrap them in a wet paper towel?

Let me know how you want me to it and i will do it the morning of the event.

Emma

This post was edited by Erod1 on Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 21:15

o

I just had a little Facebook post from Chandra and he says they are missing all of us and hate to miss the Fling.

o

Mia, I'll have some naked lady lily bulbs for you. They are smaller than normal, I guess because of the drought and heat, but they should bloom in a few years.

I'm bringing a viburnum that's been potted up for a few years. I think it's a Korean vib. variety. If anyone is interested, they are welcome to it. Of the things I've just dug up, I'll have yellow columbine (fragrant), yellow dwarf iris, Soloman's seal, Greek oregano and two oakleaf hydrangea starts. Maybe a few other things.

I'm looking for a vine that will do ok on a chain link fence in dappled shade. It doesn't have to bloom. Also I'd like a Laura Bush petunia, or any that will reseed and will take the heat.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Loretta

o

I need to see that video on mulberries. I've tried, a couple times, to do cuttings, and they have never taken. I have heard that cuttings, placed into the ground, will take, if a chunk of the main truck (parent tree) is on the end of the twig). But how to do that without harming the parent tree, I don't know.

Last year we purchased a real nice cultivar. I'm hoping, in 2014 (once it gets some size to it), to do some grafting onto some native rootstock.

George

o

Here's the video. Emma, if you have a pot of dirt to stick them it, that would be great, but if not, I bet they'd be okay with some wet paper towels wrapped around the cut end for a few hours until I can get them into the ground. Thank you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdm5ARzrFbc

Jo

o

Also, Emma, have you observed mulberries on that tree? About half of seedling mulberries are males and never set fruit.

George

o

One of these days I am going to get a Pakistan Mulberry. Have you guys seen these things? The berries are HUGE!!!!

http://www.groworganic.com/mulberry-pakistan-fruiting-standard.html

Right now, I'll be thrilled with ANY mulberry that produces fruit. :)

Also, I wanted to take a minute to give a huge shout out to George. He can't make it, but is sending on some seeds to use as an additional door prize/door prizes! Thank you George.

Jo

o

Jo and Emma, we have a purple fruiting mulberry tree at our old house (we still own the house and thus, the tree). Let me know if you aren't sure if yours is fruiting and we'll stop there to take a cutting on the way out of town.

Thank you, Loretta! I have honeysuckle but it is so aggressive I'm not sure you'd want it. We're trying to get rid of it right now! years ago I had carolina jessamin on a chain link that was beautiful, but don't have any now or I'd bring you some!

o

Christina, I cut way back on seedlings this year to make things more manageable, but here is what I have extra if you are interested. The cukes are only sprouted in the last week, so are pretty small but further along than putting a seed in the dirt! I also have canteloupe and zuke seeds sown but only a few are up so far, not sure if they'll be fling-ready.
Sweet aroma tomato
purple bell pepper
beau cucumber
summer long basil
yellow pear tomato
Sweet Ruby pepper
California wonder pepper
Black Knight eggplant

o

Jo, George and Mia,

Yes, this tree sets fruit. The fruit looks kind of like a blackberry. Its a big old tree and has been on the property for a very long time. I will take a picture of it and email it because i do not know how to post a picture here. I think it is just starting to bud out but you guys should be able to tell.

I dont know what other tree produces a fruit that looks similar to a blackberry. I always assumed it was a mulberry!

Emma

o

Emma, that sounds like a mulberry to me! Sounds like you've got it covered. I've been taking a mental inventory of the perennials I may be able to divide to offer up to all and I'd forgotten guara... we have a white and pink guara patch but I couldn't promise a specific color as the plant is pretty intertwined. Also have lots of irises and lamb's ear. Since much of my garden is composed of divisions I brought from my old house just last year, I hope more have sized up for me to bring a bigger variety next year. Oh, will have dried bamboo stakes, too.

o

Sorry, my phone likes to make duplicate posts. Hopefully this takes the extra one down.

This post was edited by MiaOKC on Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 12:00

o

Mia, could you save me a basil seedling, if you have enough? I love fresh basil.

Jo, I forgot to ask earlier. Would you like those 3 cans of baked beans to warm up for the fling? Like I said in my email, its more work for you, so don't feel obligated.

Loretta

o

sad jeff and i won't make it this year but hope you all have tons of fun !!

o

Jo and Emma-
We are unable to make it to the Spring Fling, but if you need a backup mulberry option, we have a tree that produces like crazy. If Midwest City is convenient for you, we're happy to share. Now you've got us planning to take cuttings and start a mulberry grove! They freeze beautifully and are wonderful in cobblers and smoothies. Have fun at the Fling!

o

Sure, Loretta! These are still wee babies but I'll bring one for you!

o

I'm going to have to withdraw my name. My in-laws have decided to visit. Wonderful...

o

Gah, another duplicate. Stupid phone.

This post was edited by MiaOKC on Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 23:22

o

Jo

Surgery went great. Instant results. Look forward to being there with the kids and meeting everyone!

Bonnie

o

I would love to try a mulberry cutting if someone can cut an extra. Thanks.

o

Carol, if someone brings one or two mulberries, I will bow out. You asked first!

Bon, we are SO excited to see you and your children. Cannot wait. I am so glad your surgery went well! <3

Loretta, you are MORE than welcome to bring the cans of beans. A minute or two in the microwave, and we have another side dish!

Jo

This post was edited by joellenh on Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 23:54

o

I just sent maps and directions to everyone who has signed up so far. If I missed you, or if you are confused, please email me.

Jo

o

I went out and looked over my mulberry tree yesterday and i saw several places where i could take cuttings of small branches like the guy did in the video. I will bring 4 of them.

Im not sure if they will do anything with his method or not, i think the trick will be keeping them watered well, but i will bring them for the experiment.

On a seperate note, years ago i read in the old farmers almanac that if your mulberry tree is budding/leafing out, there will not be another frost or freeze. If it is not, dont plant yet as there will be another freeze. Just thought it was interesting.

Em

o

Emma, I have read that wildlife prefer mulberry fruit to other fruit so it kind of lures them away from your other trees.

o

I'm bringing Emma(Erod1) yellow cannas. I think you wanted them. Let me know for sure and how many you would like.
I can always bring extra for other members.
TREE

o

George and Leava and any others that won't be able to make it for various reasons....

I WILL MISS YOU!

I'm sure others feel the exact same way. And...if you're out there and hesitant because you're cautious or you don't know anyone or you don't really have anything to bring...buy a bag of chips or a 12-pack of Coke or something and come on! These folks are as genuinely nice in person as they are on here - you'll be glad you came :)

Sharon

o

Where's the "Like" button on what Sharon said????

Ditto. 100 times. You won't be sorry for spending the 3 or so hours at this event! And to those that can't make it...like George, Dorothy, Seedmama, Dawn, RedBirdRoad and several others (Lynn?)....you will be sorely missed!!! We (those that attend) will take lots of pics and show you all what a great time we had! (lol!) Next to planting...THIS is gonna be the highlight of my spring!

ok...so somebody slap me and tell me to be nice. =)

o

p-mac--- OUCH!
We hate to miss out, but look forward to seeing the pics. If we could go, we would bring mulberry cuttings. Anyone in OKC-- or who wants to come to OKC for some, please just message me and we'll make it happen.
have fun!

o

We are going to miss all of you! Sniff, sniff.

If there are some trades for OKC people who can't go, I can take/bring a few.

Sharon mentioned tonight that Tomato Man's Daughter is close by..... :)

o

RedBirdRoad - no OUCH intended. Just wanted you to know you'll be missed. In fact, I'll be happy to swing by your place on my way NE if you wanna just leave something on the front porch,,,,and I can leave something on the way back just becuz that's where I live and how I roll. LOL!

Lisa - I think we might be on to something....heh! Seriously, I'm just saying that some of us would be happy to help accomodate trades. In the interest of gardening...and enabling.,,,,,

OK, I'm gonna shut up now....

o

I haven't been tracking the trades since the last time I posted a sheet here. I'm not sure if I will have time to update (next few days are going to be crazy), but I am hoping that people will remember who they promised what to. I will update if I get a chance.

And....Dawn's not coming? WHAT?!!!! :(

Jo

o

Dawn? You're not going? That stinks!

Bonnie

o

Mia,

Could you you save me a mix of plants just no tomatoes? Also, would it be easier if we just swapped here in town since we live so close? The hawthorns fill my car :)

My hubby is excited yours is coming!

I'm looking forward to seeing/meeting everyone this weekend!!

o

Christina - sure! I'll email you.

o

George just emailed me a massive list of seeds he is sending. I hope they get here on time! Cross your fingers.

Now, I don't know how you all would like to deal with this. I can list the seeds here and we can have members speak up for what they would like to have. OR, we can split the packets into a few door prizes. It's up to you all!

Seeds George is Sending to GW Spring Fling 2013
Empereur Alexandre Cuke, Baker Creek
Delicious 51, Baker Creek ��" cantaloupe
Collective Farm Woman, Cantaloupe ��" Baker Creek
Old Timey Cornfield Pumpkin ��" 2009 seed
Organic Multicolor Popcorn ��" probably Baker Creek
Squash: Black Futsui ��" Baker Creek
Crystal Apple Cucumber ��" Sustainable Seed Company
Pipian from Tuxpan ��" c. argyrosperma grown for its seed. (Baker Creek)
Angled Luffa ��" 2009 (one pkt)
Evans Sweet Cantaloupe ��" green fleshed, developed in Oklahoma by Dr. John Wyche. Two packets.
Black Jungle Butterbean ��" 2009 (1 pkt)
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/legumes/msg051013024705.html
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/legumes/msg0516190620005.html
Kentucky Red Cowpea 2011 seed ��" 1 large pkt. Received at Gardenweb, Oklahoma forum spring fling in 2008, from Pauline Kincaid. Seed is brick red and flattened, much like a very small lima bean. Plants are vigorous, but not too inclined to climb. Pods are thick.

White Cushaw 2012 seed ��" Rampant vines, very heat and drought resistant. Large, 20 lb. crook necked, fruit
Moon & Stars Watermelon (white seeded) 2006 seed. ��" Should still grow. Extremely rare heirloom.
Mesquakie Indian Corn ��" mix of 2007-2012 seed, Very colorful, hardy corn. Quite well adapted to our Oklahoma conditions. A dent corn, tending toward flint. Good for cornmeal.
Woods Mountain Crazy Bean 2011 seed ��" Bush bean. Very well adapted to our hot conditions. Heirloom from the Fayetteville, AR area. Pods have strings, but are quite tender. High producer. There are NO commercial sources for this valuable seed.
Georgia Long Cowpea 2007 seed ��" Yardlong. Heat resistant. Good for snaps. Needs poles as it has very long vines. I’ve had this seed germinate after over 10 years in an unrefrigerated jar. I received my seed in the 1980s from Virgil and Hazel Johnson of Liberty, MO; who in turn received their seed from Faxon Stinnet of Vian Oklahoma.
Cooper’s Running Snap 2009 seed ��" pole bean. Heat resistant. Similar to Rattlesnake. Should be given 1’ space between plants. Heavy producer. Not a stringed bean. Similar to Kentucky Wonder in pod quality.
Okra: Heavy Hitter 2012 seed (3 pkts) ��" New variety developed by Ron Cook of Moodys, OK. This is a branching okra, similar to Stewarts Zeebest, but with pods more like Clemson Spineless.
Calico Willow leaf Pole Lima

Jo

o

Or, we could just have a bin of seeds up for grabs. Just thought of that, because I am slow. :)

Am also wondering if we can do something nice for George too. I don't know if anyone is local to him, but thought that perhaps, if someone is, he could request some of the plants offered here and arrange to for a drop-off or pick-up.

Jo

o

Jo, I like the bins of seeds up for grabs idea. Maybe I can volunteer to bring a box of some small ziplock baggies with a Sharpie to label and everyone who wants can take a few of whatever they want, keep 'em separate in the baggies and label whatever they get?

o

I am up for the sharing idea, since 20 seeds of most of those would give you a chance to try them. I would be interested in the dent corn, okra, and crazy bean, but a small quantity would be fine. When I am given a few seeds, I just grow them out for seed the first year, then in the 2nd year you get a real trial.

They have small plastic bags in the wedding department at Walmart that work great for seeds.

o

I'm with Mia and Soonergrandmom.
I've been wanting to try the old timey pumpkin and a good branching okra. George makes the Old timey sound great.
Like with Soonergrandmom I'll only need a few.enough Old timey for one hill to just try it and a few okra plants.
TREE

o

I know I'm fairly new here, but I've been reading a long time and learned a lot. I don't post all that much anywhere, but that's not because I'm averse to it, it's just my style.

With that said, my wife and I (and one 9yr old son) would like to attend this year as we live in the area and like gardening. I think since having gotten to "know" the people here a little bit via posts, that we would enjoy meeting you all and hopefully you all would enjoy meeting us as well.

We would be glad to bring some drink(s), and ice chest and a bag or two of ice, contribution for the "main meat", a door prize or two (jewelry handmade by my wife if that's ok), as well as any spare vegetable seedlings we may have left over by this weekend. It is hard to know what we will have for plants still yet as I didn't plant too many of anything except tomatoes, and by the time I get to plant them I don't know what will still be viable (darn cold!).

Anyway, I will send my email to you Jo as requested and you can decide if I seem like someone to invite or not :-)

o

Mia, if you could bring tiny or small ziploc baggies, I KNOW I have several Sharpie pens around here SOMEWHERE. I think sharing them out to people who want specific seeds is probably the best plan.

Jo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here