Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faerybutterflye

A little off-topic, any other houseplants moving outside soon?

faerybutterflye
11 years ago

Hello all, I was active in this forum a few years back & want to thank all those who helped me back then! It's nice to be back. I love reading everyone's expertise & how this forum is so friendly! We spent the last 2 years in a house with no room for a veggie garden & I pouted & planted bulbs & flowers & doted on my houseplants.

Now, I realize that this is a gardening forum, usually specific to gardens outdoors. I'm curious though, if there are any other gardeners around who move their houseplants outside for a spring/summer vacation? My last house didn't have anywhere to move my indoor plants outdoors, but our new place has 2 areas: my eastern front porch & my southern carport! So, I'm in the process of repotting them & getting ready to move them out.

Any suggestions for a successful transition outside? I think I'll be waiting until after next Tuesday's cold snap. But I'd appreciate any feedback. I'm in zone 7B, Tishomingo! Thanks :)

Natasha aka Faery

Comments (4)

• mulberryknob
    11 years ago

I have moved mine in and out of the house for years taking them to a shady yard. The main problem I have had in years past is sunburn when I moved them before there was enough shade from the trees. So now I usually take them out the end of April. Not only is it shady enough, but the chance of frost is over. I'm north of you though, so you may be safe to go out earlier.

• Erod1
    11 years ago

You might want to wait till next week until after this next cold snap.

I do it every year. If you want to go ahead and move them out now, and the temps look like they will dip, huddle all the plants together and throw a sheet over them. It has always worked for me. But i usually just move mine to my porch.

Emma

• tigerdawn
    10 years ago

My tropicals spend as much time as possible outside. I have them cateorized by temp tolerance and so I move them in and out in tubs based on the low temps. This spring has been very frustrating!

• faerybutterflye
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mulberry & Emma & Tiger, thanks for the responses! I didn't have a spot for my house plants outside for the last 2 years & we just moved to a new house with a lovely covered eastern front porch & a covered southern carport area. I'm excited to move them out. The years before we lived at our last house, I always put them out on our covered front porch & they always did really well.

I just repotted my collection & they're enjoying some wind & sun (not direct sun!) underneath my carport. I'll be bringing them in tonight, & probably putting them back out again permanently on next Thursday after our (dare I say?) last cold snap.

I'm attempting now to build my own moss-covered pole support for my monstera that has gotten very unruly in its growing (I had no idea that it needed support, my fault!) so that it will have something to climb on with its aerial roots this summer. I'm sure that they're all going to just explode with new growth once they get outside into the brighter light & warmth.

I agree, Tiger, this spring has been very frustrating. Even for someone who only has planted flower seeds. I'm actually a smidgen relieved that I didn't go crazy with all the space in our new yard & plant a veggie garden. I'd be beside myself with stress & aggravation with this crazy weather. We were 85 degrees one day & 30 degrees the next night. :-/ One thing about Oklahoma weather, there is never a dull moment, is there? LOL.