Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momofsteelex3

Perennial Flowers/tree transplants/poison ivy

momofsteelex3
10 years ago

Morning everyone! I hope everyone is enjoying the lovely weather we are having in their gardens! Too bad we will be forced to stay inside the latter half of the week and pray to the garden Gods that it doesn't get to freezing and that mother nature can get herself pulled together. Can we talk about other things besides veggie gardening here? Bc our lawn is a hot mess and I need help.

With the weather being so hokey and me not wanting to plants anything else till it calms down, I have changed my train of thought a bit. SO I have been pouring over perennials for month now and I just love them all and can't make choices. I thought I would ask here and see what everyone's favorites are.

Right now I already have a sage and lavender planted in a tub, and a Azalea. My 7 year old planted Coleus and Impatients out around the trees. And we have marigolds and sunflowers around the garden. And I planted Gladiolus and something else semi-tall in the narrow bed in the corners. I know not all of those are perennials, but I am ok with that.

I have 3 larger apple baskets I want to plant with perennials, and maybe the 2 window boxes. I would like to see something that would bloom clear into fall, and in the colors of whites, yellows, oranges, blues, pinks, purples, greens. Basically no red. They will sit in the front which faces east, so plenty of morning, early afternoon sun. I really don't care if I have to water them a lot, or very little. I plan on using an Alternative Lawn Wildflower Seed Mix for ground cover in the big bed around my pots and baskets. I just really can't pick and I can only so much a year. And was thinking someone with more Oklahoma living under their belt could guide me to something.

So..trees. I was mowing yesterday and discovered one of our Crepe Myrtle's has put off a..well to be honest, I don't know what you call them, a sapling? I am not educated in trees yet, but I am learning since becoming a country girl But its about 3 feet tall, 1 single branch so far. and its just now getting buds. Is there a way for me to dig this up and relocate it to somewhere else? I would hate to cut it down, but the 4 that are there where planted right up against the house, and this sapling is between the house and mature trees. If I do dig it, should I pot it until is established? SO then I have what I believe to be a Japanese Cherry Blossom tree. It has little branches coming out the bottoms if it, still attached to the tree itself. IS there a way to cut those off and help them sprout roots somehow to make more trees? (I told you I know nothing about trees, so if this is laughable, well..)

And lastly, poison ivy. And good remedies for getting rid of it? I went out this winter and dug it all up, or so I thought. A lot of it is back. If it wasn't in the back yard, I wouldn't care, but with 3 kids, it has to go. Its around a tree, and climbing up it, so it has to be something that won't kill the tree.

Thank you so much to anyone who answers!
Bre

Comments (7)

• helenh
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Be careful but I would use Roundup or generic for the poison ivy. It can get on plants you want and kill them so do a little and see what happens. It shouldn't hurt the tree if you get it on the bark. Avoid getting it on the tree leaves.

Are you sure it is poison ivy and not Virginia Creeper? I don't know how you pulled it up.

I think you would like day lilies not necessarily for the pots and boxes. Go ahead and move the crepe myrtle and stick it in the ground if you will remember to water it. It is a seedling probably and you may have more. It isn't where you want it, so move it.

I like heuchera for the colored leaves. I don't live in OK but I have Grove OK weather.

• momofsteelex3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Helen- Its not creeper! It has 3 leaves for sure. There is nothing else around the tree now, or if there is its nothing I care to keep. I pulled out some kind of poisonous berry bush from there, and some kind of vine that had thorns, so IMO it can all use a spray! It was the middle of winter, I put on gloves and a heavy coat, and dug it out to the base. Or so I thought.

Thanks, I will set out moving my tree then!

I do like those day lilies, but I LOVE the heuchera!!! I will have to seek some of that out!

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

I'm trying to think of my longest-blooming perennials for you. I don't do a lot of perennials in pots but I think many can be grown there - just remember pots act like one zone different in winter - so in zone 7 a pot winters like zone 6 - if you plan to leave them outdoors all winter choose hardy to zone 6 plants.

Maybe perennial lantana - this is a late breaker, but will bloom all summer long. Dies back each winter, usually almost to the ground, then sprouts again. I even overwinter a lot of our annual lantanas by mulching them heavily. I usually have just about given up on them when I start seeing tiny green leaves at the base (like, just finally saw a few leaves yesterday). Phlox is another all-summer bloomer, with many colors, which I would prefer to have in a pot than in the ground because the variety I had was kind of bent on world domination. :)

Artemesia doesn't bloom but looks fantastic all summer, I like the really fine foliaged ones - this is a blue green foliage plant that makes a great canvas for other plants. Perhaps knock-out roses (love the yellow ones), midnight salvia and/or moonbeam coreopsis would work. Also love pony tails grass or bunny tails grass, for texture.

These are all better suited for your pots than your window boxes, I think. Trying to think of shorter and trailing bloomers for the window boxes. I put creeping phlox in for a trailer but it's spring flowering only, but the foliage can be evergreen here, so that might start. I don't have too many ideas for shorter perennials, will have to think on it some more!

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

Oh, I forgot my link - was gonna say when I started gardening in 2002, I relied extensively on Perennial Plant of the Year recommendations. And I meant May Night salvia, not midnight. See link - I think several of my off-the-top-of-my-head recs come from there!

Here is a link that might be useful: PPOY

• helenh
    10 years ago

You may need more than one application for the poison ivy. I would rather keep hitting it with Roundup than use something more persistent.

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

Crepe Myrtles do seed but they also sucker--that is send sprouts up from the roots a little way from the mother plant. If it starts small and grows slowly, probably seedling. If it grows faster and starts bigger, probably sucker sprout. Either way it can be moved, but you have to be more careful with a sucker. Follow the underground shoot back as close to the mother plant as you can and cut that off to move with the sucker.

• momofsteelex3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mia- I had no idea about the pots acting like different zones! I have always loved gardening, flower and veggies, but I have never gotten so into it and so serious about it until this year! I will be able to move the pots so if they need to spend the winter in the garage they can(but who knows at this rate winter might be more like summer).

I do love Lantana and it was on my list. I saw some Artemesia and thought it was beautiful. Knock Out Roses where on my list too! But I think I am leaning more toward a climbing rose this year as we have unsightly cut off pole on the corner of the front of our property. Salvia has always been a must plant in my yard! Its too pretty to pass up! And I will DEFINITELY be hunting down a pony's tail and a bunny's tail. I don't think I have ever seen them before and I am in love!

I will have to check out your link more tomorrow when I am being forced indoors! But it looks great!

Helen- I figured I would have to coat that poison ivy several times before it gives up. But I just can't have it with 2 toddlers running around!

mulberryknob- I think it was a sucker. I did just like you said and followed the roots back as far as I could. The one that tied to the mother plant either broke before I could go the whole way back, or it wasn't tied to the mother tree at all. Either way I took as much root as I could get. One of them was going under the foundation of the house, so I had to cut it off. I moved it to the north side of the house since the row of them is on the west, and there is one on the south already. My husband thinks I am crazy, but I am hoping this is like the Japanese Cherry and I can prove him wrong. So any tips for nursing it along would be appreciated!