Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldbusy1

pineapple tops

oldbusy1
11 years ago

Did'nt want to hijack any threads. So here is my take on growing pineapple tops. currently i have about a dozen in my greenhouse with varing sizes.

It can be tricky to get the top to survive sometimes, i think the most common problem is rot. too cool temps and too much moisture being the culprit.

I'm sure there are some youtube videos showing how to successfully get them started. Even then , sometimes things happen and they still die.

Usually i'll twist the top off so there is no pineapple meat left on the top. That little bit of pineapple left on the top if you just cut it might be the difference of success or fail.

Usually the top sits out on the counter for a couple of days drying a little. Then i'll remove the bottom leaves till i think i see enough of the root nodules(small bumps) and think i can get the plant to stay upright when planted.

I then place it in a container with moist( not wet , cold, dripping ) soil. A good quality soilless growing media will work. Also it should have good drainage so it does'nt set in a water logged pot.

I make sure the soil is firmed up at the base of the plant to get good contact. I do not water it in as long as the soil is moist it should have enough moisture to root.

I try to make sure no water gets in the top of the leaves , as that is usually where the rot will start. When i see new leaves starting in the center, then i may let a little water get in the leaves( but only if the surrounding temps will be warm and not cool and damp).

the last one is a fresh one that looks rough but i beleive it will root and make it.

I forgot to add that growing it like this , it takes 2 yrs to get ONE pineapple. there are ways to speed up the flowering.

This post was edited by busy1 on Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 12:20

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz