Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wxcrawler

UGH! Looks like more cold air next week

wxcrawler
11 years ago

I wish I had better news. First, the cold front slated to move through Oklahoma late Wednesday or Thursday will have some pretty cold air behind it. Looks like 30's or lower statewide Thursday night and Friday night. Before the cold front moves through, we'll also have to deal with some large thunderstorms that will undoubtedly drop some big hail in some places. Please stay tuned to whatever your source for weather is, because Wednesday afternoon and/or evening could have all modes of significant severe weather across a lot of Oklahoma.

And if that isn't enough, most of the longer range computer models are showing another surge of cold air for Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. Right now, that air looks just as cold or colder than what we are about to get.

Please don't blame the messenger. ;-)

Lee

Comments (18)

• Lisa_H OK
    11 years ago

not complaining, not complaining, not complaining...it'll be 100 degrees before we know it. :)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Thanks, Lee.

I have gone ahead and planted tomato plants anyway but have the floating row cover to cover up the tomato plants. I may plant corn and beans this weekend. The prolonged cool weather is great for the cool-season plants, and after two previous hot springs, a mild spring is a nice change.

I'm agreeing with Lisa on this one. All too soon it will be far too hot. We've got to enjoy the cool temperatures while they last. I wish we could bottle up the cool air and save it for July.

I just hope nothing turns too severe on Wednesday, although it sure seems likely that someone will see severe weather--maybe a bunch of someones.

Dawn

• ReedBaize
    11 years ago

I might as well trash all 30 of the tomato plants in the garage if this is the case. They will be so rootbound by then it won't do anything to plant them.

• Lisa_H OK
    11 years ago

Reed, put them in the ground! They will most likely be fine. If you are going to trash them anyway, this will give them a chance to show up the weather. Just throw a sheet over them next week.

Lisa

• ReedBaize
    11 years ago

Lisa,

I guess that is true. I'll put them out this weekend. My forecast isn't showing that next week will be much colder than today. I'm showing a cold Thursday and then a mild week next week.

Reed

• helenh
    11 years ago

I am getting my wall of water things ready. My plants are growing past the lights to the next shelf. Trouble is those plants are too big, but I have some smaller ones that will fit in the wall of water.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    11 years ago

My tomato plants are in large pots. I was thinking of putting saran wrap around them - or baggies, then pillow cases. At what temp would I need to do that.

The plants are in big containers, and I put mulch up rather high to keep the winds from knocking them down. I was wondering if the mulch (pine bark) would protect them.

Sammy

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

This does not compute.....

Susan

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    11 years ago

Susan, does mine not compute? I only mulched the tomato plants, not the containers. I am asking about putting baggies or pillow cases on the top to protect them. Maybe I am making a mistake in my writing. Hmm
    Sammy

• wulfletons
    11 years ago

This is my first year gardening here after moving to OK from Albuquerque. The golden rule in ABQ is that you never plant before Mother's Day, so all these late freezes are making me feel right at home!
    I did plant some bush beans last week in the ground, and they are sprouting now. I'm guessing I should cover these with sheets on the night we are going to freeze?
    Krista

• p_mac
    11 years ago

Lee - you are a most WELCOME addition to this group! We will NOT shoot the messenger. Message very appreciated!

Everyone needs to keep in mind the ground temp in relation to the size of the plants in the ground. (Lisa - I know you got this!) Plant away, fellow gardeners...as long as you've got a reserve cover on hand. With the ground temps and a cover, your plants will be fine. Lee's just keeping us abreast of the weather models that the rest of us can't even begin to understand! Personally, I've very appreciative of the interpretation. I don't do "weather-speak"....unless it applies to achy joints. Heh!

• mulberryknob
    11 years ago

When I put my maters in the ground last Sun the projected low for us was 31; now it's 27. I have bunches of 4 and 5 gallon buckets which will cover the plants. I also have lots of half and whole gallon jugs to fill with hot water to set under the buckets, so I think the maters will be ok. And if not I have backups for most of them.

But the fruit! What am I to do about the fruit? The almonds and plums are already gone but the peaches, pears, cherries, apples, grapes, strawberries and figs are all in bloom. AAACCCCHHH. I'll put sheets over the strawberries and fig bushes but the fruit trees are all pretty big. We may tie old feed sacks around some of the limbs and try to save something at least.

And baby chicks are due to arrive Friday morn. Dh plans to insulate the brooder box and turn on the heat lamps Thursday to get it good and warm in there.

• Lisa_H OK
    11 years ago

Hey, I grew stuff via winter sowing....I'm a big fan of planting in cold temps! :) As quick as these cold waves are, a cover should work, just don't forget to uncover!

My garden is greening up all over. I'm not covering anything. My risky personality only comes out in my gardening! lol.

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

No, no, Sammy....I just mean this whole cold weather thing with one or two nights of freezing temps does not compute and I prefer staying in denial now every time we get yet another freezing temp report........ugh is right.....

Susan

• wxcrawler
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It now looks like the airmass behind the cold front slated for Monday/Tuesday will not be quite as cold as previously forecast. There still could be frost across parts of OK, but freezing temperatures look less likely. Hopefully this is a sign that the season is finally winning out and a more normal Spring will commence.

Lee

• scottokla
    11 years ago

Good!

• chickencoupe
    11 years ago

I couldn't agree with your "ugh" any more, Lee. It's amazing. My friends in Minnesota remind me they're still suffering a snow storm!

Lisa makes a good point being "a 100 before we know it".

All in stride, I guess.

Bonnie

• wxcrawler
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This was a double post from before....not sure how I did that.

Lee

This post was edited by wxcrawler on Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 22:13

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!