Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mulberryknob

First asparagus spears up...

mulberryknob
10 years ago

and into the mouth. This is late for the first ones. Some years I've seen the first ones in late March. And these were all little ones from shallow buds. The big ones haven't erupted yet.

Comments (5)

• wbonesteel
    10 years ago

We've already had three or four meals from our asparagus, so far. Mary Washington and Purple Passion. This is the first year we could harvest any, and it's the first year there as really anything much to harvest.

We also planted a few Jersey Knight asparagus crowns this spring. We'll see if they survive.

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

Yay for asparagus season! Since you mentioned it, I have meant to post a question about harvesting asparagus. Just about 10 days ago we finally started to get spears from our 3-year-old plants. I think I'd read to only harvest the ones that are pencil-diameter plus size, so that's what I've been doing the last week. However, the real skinnies have already shot up and ferned out. I have a feeling this isn't good, so now wonder if I should be harvesting every single spear. Any ideas?

And I am pretty limited on how I've eaten asparagus, I usually just roast it. Is it any good to freeze and cook later?

• mulberryknob
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Your plants are still young, so if you don't have any insect problem on the young spears, I would only pick the pencil sized ones. It's not a bad thing to have small spears. My 20+ year old patch always has some small spears that I leave, unless there are insect problems. One year we had asparagus beetles so I picked every single spear until first of June to deprive them a place to lay eggs. Because your plants are still young, I wouldn't pick for more than a month, even if you still have pencil size spears coming up.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Dorothy, Our asparagus began popping up out of the ground about the second week in March. It was kind of early, but our soil warmed up early this year.

Warren, Jersey Knight does fine for me here so I expect it will do well for you there. We also have Purple Passion and it is not only tasty but I think the color looks awesome in the garden.

At the risk of jinxing my plants, we've never had asparagus beetles here. (knock on wood)

Mia, Barbara Kingsolver had a really terrific asparagus recipe of Deborah Madison's in her book "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle". I'll link it below. If you don't happen to have morel mushrooms growing on your property, you can substitute pretty much any mushroom of your choice and it still will taste great.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Asparagus Bread Pudding

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Were I live now is an old family home that's been in the family since the early 70's. Now its my place to live at for as long as I'm alive. Anyways My aunt who lived here before me had planted some asparagus a few years ago. She got busy and the garden turned to jungle. Literally 4-5 inch diameter trees and weeds taller than me. So I basically brush hogged the whole garden and the mulched over it all last summer never really seeing the asparagus. Well to my surprise I saw 2 spears coming up today and in the perfect spot!

Mike