Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meldawn0511

More Newbie Questions

MelDawn0511
10 years ago

Hi, told you all I have lots of questions and I appreciate everyones patience.

1) how do I know when to plant my morning glory and balsam seedlings outside?

2) how long do I leave my tulip bulbs out to dry

3) can I plant irises and tulips in the same area? (I am relocating all of the irises that that all over the place to make an iris garden, I'm leaving them in the same area but bringing then into a more uniform look, they are just dabbled here and there. This leaves a big area that I think tulips would look great in, I am lining two of the sides that are slightly sloping down with the balsam)

4) do tomato plant seedlings loose their "baby" leaves as they are growing? I have several who's initial leaves have fallen off but its still looking healthy and growing.

Those are all I can think of right now lol.

Melanie

Comments (10)

• Erod1
    10 years ago

I can answer one question for you. Your tulips and Iris can go together. Just remember that the tulips need to be planted 6-8 inches deep, but not the Iris'.

I have both growing in the same bed grouped together with no problems.

Emma

• MelDawn0511
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Emma

• p_mac
    10 years ago

I can answer the last one about the tomatoes and yes, they loose their "baby" leaves. Kind like baby teeth falling out when the permanent ones come in and can sustain. In fact, don't worry about them at all. You'll need to probably pinch off the first "real" row of leaves and then plant the whole thing up to the next row. Tomatoes grow roots out from the sides of the stem and if you plant them this way, you'll have a MUCH stronger plant. Tomatoe Queen Dawn will probably come along and add some more useful information. And btw - I learned most of what I know about growing tomatoes from her. She IS the Queen of Tomatoes here...and a hard, well-earned title!

• faerybutterflye
    10 years ago

I can answer the morning glory one. Plant those seedlings outside after the last expected frost. (Which, seeing as you're in zone 7 like I am, is probably tonight as the last frost) I can tell you though, that even a little frost probably won't affect them too much.

Morning glories are seriously hardy...much more so than I ever gave them credit for! My first year growing morning glories, I did as you have (I think? You are growing them inside, right?) & started them in little seed starter pots, babied them for a few weeks, & then very gently transplanted them outside. They took over my fence in force & climbed all over other things close by, as well. They really will choke other plants nearby to death, so make sure you plant them somewhere they have to climb & take over (such as a fence line). I left them on the fence all winter, the seedpods dried & got blown down over the fall & winter, & imagine my surprise the next spring, when the seedlings started popping up EVERYWHERE, before I'd even thought about planting anything.

I got a little overexcited this year & jumped the gun in planting my flower seeds...I'm attempting to cover our new fence line with morning glories & moonflowers by the end of the summer. I planted in late March, we've had 3 or 4 frost/freeze advisories since this year's morning glories have popped up & I haven't covered them. They really seem fine, other than a few of the smallest ones. So, after tonight's frost, put those morning glory babies in the ground & get ready to watch them go nuts! :)

• MelDawn0511
    Original Author
    10 years ago

P-Mac, thank you I started freaking out when I was seeing all the leaves falling off thinking they were dying. That was good advice about planting them to.

Faery, yes I started them indoors, and after reading how they can take over everything around them I am planting them in their own area and I made them a trellis to climb. If mother nature would get her attitude in check and quit with the freezes I wouldn't be so reluctant to plant things outside lol. I am glad morning glories are Hardy plants for a beginner like me lol.

Thank you guys for answering my questions.

**Melanie**

• faerybutterflye
    10 years ago

Mel, sounds like you've got the right plan for them. Morning glories were my first real success & usually do so well, they make you feel amazingly successful! LOL.

I still consider myself a novice/beginner. I started gardening only about 5 years ago, & only thanks to Dawn & the other experts on this forum, had a semi-successful veggie garden the first year. When we moved & I couldn't have a garden anymore, I resorted to bulbs & flower seeds. And of course, my house plant collection.

Morning glories have always been super reliable for me & fun to grow, ever since my very first season of gardening. This will be the 3rd rent house that I've seeded a fence line with them & they just keep coming back & coming back. When I drive past my old houses, I always smile because they're still there. What can I say, I like to leave something behind for the next people to enjoy. :)

Glad to meet a fellow newbie. Hope we can become friends, maybe swap some seeds or something. You can't be all that far from me, I don't think, we're in the same zone. I've always wanted to have a gardening buddy in the same area :)

• susanlynne48
    10 years ago

Once again, whether morning glories will be invasive depends on what kind you are growing. Do you know the individual names or is it a "mix"?

Susan

• faerybutterflye
    10 years ago

Sorry, Susan. I should clarify: my vigorously self-seeding morning glories are almost all the invasive varieties you named in a previous thread. (the mixed variety, Grandpa Ott's, Crimson Rambler, Star of Yelta, Milky Way, etc.) I have to replant my non-invasive varieties each year (Flying Saucers, Clark's Heavenly Blues, etc). There are both varieties available at Dollar General, where my lazy self usually goes to buy seeds b/c there's one here in town & the closest decent gardening place is miles away from me. Curious as to what types you have, Mel?

• MelDawn0511
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My morning glories are just a packet of variety that I got at dollar general lol..

Faery, did you get my email?

• faerybutterflye
    10 years ago

LOL, Mel, it seems we have the same taste. I did get your email & shot you one back just now. First chance I got, busy day around here today!

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County