Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adellabedella_usa

What type of container?

Adella Bedella
11 years ago

I'm getting ready to move in a few weeks. I want to take my daffodils with me. They are blooming right now. I'm going to let the blooms, and hopefully, the foliage die back a bit before I dig them up. I've read that if I take some dirt with them, they should be ok for replanting in the fall. I'm trying to decide what type of container I should put them in. We are using a professional moving company so they would need to be in something with a lid. Do you think a plastic tub would be good? The moving company won't transport live plants, but I think these will be ok if I pack them up. Any suggestions?

Comments (7)

• Lisa_H OK
    11 years ago

I would be concerned if they were going to be in the plastic container for very long. They will be fairly moist. What about a plastic container (without a lid) inside a cardboard box?

Lisa

• Lisa_H OK
    11 years ago

Are they really special? It might just be easier to order a new set.

Here is a link that might be useful: Holland Bulb daffodils

• OklaMoni
    11 years ago

I have always taken my daffs with me when I moved, cept the last move from a house.

No matter what season, I would dig them up, spray them off to get all dirt off, let them lay in the sun for a day or so to dry, and bag them in a paper bag.

Now, the important part:

Mark on your calendar in October, where you end up putting them... so you can find them again and plant them then. :)

Moni
    PS, if there is still green on them, just cut it off.

• Adella Bedella
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks!

I have several different kinds of daffodils, but there are two kinds that are extra pretty this year. I live in a neighborhood where a lot of people don't plant bulbs. I'm afraid whatever I leave may just get thrown out anyway by the next owners. I'm having to leave my roses and give away my indoor plants. I want to keep something.

I might try the cardboard box inside of a plastic tub. I'm thinking we could put the lid on when the moving truck gets here. They will be on the truck for a few days. If the foliage dies back enough, I may try the snip and wash thing.

• Lisa_H OK
    11 years ago

Ahhh, I understand. I had to leave behind a bunch of plants at a house I was renting. The owner sold it and the new people trashed all of my stuff. :( I was sad.

• bettycbowen
    11 years ago

I second the brown paper bag plan

The best rose I ever planted is at the house I left behind. It is a HUGE yellow climber-- up over the eaves. I drive by it on the way to work. I just noticed today that its been pruned a little:)

• mulberryknob
    11 years ago

If it were me, I would not allow them to travel moist as Lisa said. And I would not take dirt with me for the same reason. Even though they may not have time to mature naturally, if you are going to move them, they will be ok and will live if you remove the foliage and allow the bulbs to dry for several days before they are moved. You are almost surely going to lose next year's blooms by digging them early; the important thing now is to prevent them from rotting while they are out of the ground. That's why I wouldn't take dirt and why I would dry them some. Then a paper lined cardboard box would be better than a plastic container. You don't say how far you are moving, but if a moving company is involved this is how I would do it.

I mail daffs and Lycoris every spring after drying the bulbs in May in a shed. Then I tell the people receiving them to plant them as soon as they get them. I hear from people all over the U.S. every spring and summer when they bloom, sometimes a year or two after I send them. Good luck with your move.