Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hoe, hoe, hoe

Posted by pattyokie 6b (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 14:06

This is such a basic question I almost logged in on another name to disguise myself, but...
I recently discovered a hoe for weeding. Who knew it was so much easier than bending over & hand-pulling each weed?? My question is: once you've cut the weeds off with the hoe, do you then get down & shake the dirt off them & throw them away or what are you supposed to do with them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hoe, hoe, hoe

You can compost them if they aren't flowering or seeding. Otherwise throw them out.

o

I'm glad you did post it. Might give some herbicide junkies something to chew on. It answers the all too common question asked (and answered) on many of the forums --

Question: "Help!! HOW do I get rid of these weeds!!!".

Answer: "Roundup".

Unless its tiny babies, I rake them up if there's a lot, put them in a bucket & toss. If I'm hand pulling, I toss them in the bucket as I go. Seeds are usually present in many weeds so to keep from sorting them out or finding out later I don't think its worth composting.

This post was edited by TexasRanger10 on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 15:38

o

I seldom compost mine. I weed often and don't have enough to make a trip back to the compost pile worthwhile. I would say that at least 90% of weeds are whacked across the hoe handle to knock the dirt off of them and tossed out on the lawn for the mower to eat. If I am using the Hula hoe they lay where they fall.

o

I've been using my hoe more often...it is a lot easier!

o

I weed very often. I try to get ' em young. That means most rot where they lay. For bigger weeds they normally are tossed in lawn and mulched by the mower. Of course my lawn is whatever grows where I haven't planted something...... yet.

o

Thank you all so much! I wondered if I could just leave them & then put down mulch on top, but perhaps the seeds would be left to grow then.

o

I sacrifice them to the rain gods. This is a recent thing, so if we have a turn around on the drought conditions, you know who to thank.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here