Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Barnacle type things?

Posted by ginak08 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 14:16

Hello! I have been a stranger on here. Did not intend to be, but it is hard enough to find the time to garden with 2 little ones, much less have time to post about it. I do have a question, though. About a month ago, I planted several monardas. They don't seem to be growing (but not dying either). This morning I decided to look at them closely and I noticed these barnacle looking things growing on the stems of one. This is also the only monarda whose stems are turning from green to brown. I also noticed similar bumps on some Easter Lillies that also seemed to have stalled out. The Easter Lillies are in the same bed as the monardas. I also have several Easter Lillies in the same bed that are doing fine. Can anyone tell me what these are and if I should be concerned? And how to get rid of them if it is a problem... I have pictures. Just trying to figure out how to post them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Barnacle type things?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o
another picture

The first pic was the Monarda This one is the Easter Lily.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

Could this possibly be scale? If so, there are chemicals to get rid of them.
They will spread to all the plants nearby.

o

Thank you. I researched it alot last night and could not find any that look just like that. I emailed my local OSU extension office, and he agreed it does look like some sort of scale and said I should use Malathion. I hope it works those things look so nasty and I have several more plants in the area (including herbs) I have been wondering if I should even pull them up?

o

Gina,

Whatever it is, it just looks bizarre. Before you use malathion or pull them up, why not post a photo of the lily at the Lilies Forum and/or a photo of the monarda at the Perennials Forum and see if the lily experts or perennial experts have encountered this before. If they have, they can tell you what they did and how it worked out.

I'll link the list of other forums below. FYI--there is an herb forum too.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: List of Other Forums at Garden Web

o

Any chance of using weed killers any where in the vicinity? Either you, a "helper," or a neighbor?

o

This question has been pretty thoroughly answered on another forum.

o

Flora,

That's fantastic. Would you please tell us which one, so we can all read it? I am very curious.

Seedmama

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here