Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erod1_gw

Dividing Peonies

Erod1
11 years ago

My Peony plants that just had the eyes poking above the soil last week now have shoots with leaves about 6 inches tall. Can i still dig and divide these? Im now afraid if i do i will kill them all.

I hate to not do it after i offered them as trades for the Fling, but at the same time i dont want to damage these precious plants.

Help!

Comments (11)

• Lisa_H OK
    11 years ago

I don't know why you couldn't. The problem may be that it will be easier to damage them by breaking off the stems.

There is peony forum that should be gearing up for the season, you might ask over there.

• Erod1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Im going to try it...... Wish me luck

• Erod1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know i said i would try to divide the Peonies, but im still a little uncertain. Im so afraid im going to kill them.....

Carol, Jo, everyone, would you guys like some Stella daylillies instead?? They are the kind that rebloom all summer. I know i can dig and divide those right now with no problem. When i do dig and divide, do i need to put them in a small pit with some dirt?

I feel really bad about the peonies, but i swear they are growing an inch every day and if i killed the plant i would just be heartbroken.

Carol, i can get you a division this fall and probably you too Jo since you are so close to me.

• Lisa_H OK
    11 years ago

Erod, you are probably smart to hold off. I believe the right time to divide is supposed to be late summer. GH WIld used to send their peonies in the fall, but now they are sending them in early spring. I ordered some and just got them in the ground last weekend. All my peonies that are established though are just like yours...growing like weeds! I have one with buds. It is amazing to me how quick they shoot up.

For the record, I don't think you would kill them, but it would be difficult to divide them without damaging the stems.

Who else is looking for one that is not close to you? I might be able to help.

Lisa

• Erod1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lisa,

Mia, Betty and Tree were eartagged for a peony division. Gosh i feel so bad!

I am going to bring a few cool door prizes to make up for it.

Lisa, can you tell me please, do i need to put the stella daylillies in little pots with some dirt? Is that the best way to divide them and bring them?

Im really excited about coming and i guess thats why i am all over the place deciding what to bring and not knowing how to do it.....

• Lisa_H OK
    11 years ago

I can help Mia...she lives close to me. I will contact her. Yes, dig up., separate and pot up your daylilies. The sooner you do it the better so they can get over the shock. I dug up a few things last weekend and potted them up. I need to do the rest tomorrow.

We are all excited :) I am looking forward to meeting you!

• MiaOKC
    11 years ago

Emma, do not worry a bit about it! Easy come, easy go. :-)

I dug peonies in late March after they were fully up last year to move to my new house and I gave a division away to a coworker. Both the transplants and the division were fine, but I could tell the smallest one was the one I'd divided, as it didn't grow as large as the others that summer. In my experience, peonies take about three years to feel at home enough to bloom in a new spot, and I wouldn't want you to chance anything particularly precious or special.

For Fling plants I've brought before, I've either dug the weekend before or the morning of. It was a mad dash for the morning of, so will be doing my digging tomorrow! My tomatoes are small, and I've just begun hardening off (although I have had a fan on them to strenghthen their stems to our wind) and hope I'll have some ready to bring next weekend.

• Lisa_H OK
    11 years ago

Mia helped me dig up a couple of peonies this afternoon. I potted up two baby peonies. I do not know if they will make it, but I will be happy to bring them for Betty and Tree.

Thank you Mia!!! I really needed to get those moved!

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

Emma, Don't take a chance on the peony. I would hate for you to lose your plants.

• MiaOKC
    11 years ago

Lisa, thanks so much for the pre-fling divisions! I planted right after I got home, and the peony looks a little stressed and droopy (this wind is not helping!) but I think it will bounce back.

• Erod1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for understanding everyone. These plants are parts of a plant that has been passed 3 generations and is at minimum 30 years old.

Again, Carol, i will get you a division this fall and Jo as well, as i am close to Jo and am at the lake most weekends to get one to you Carol.

Hope everyone will be happy with the Stella daylillies.

Emma