Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nopeeking

Anybody have experience growing Canary Bird Vine (Canary Creeper)

nopeeking
9 years ago

When I lived in Canada I had success growing some from a package of seeds. I'm now in Oklahoma and just ordered seeds on eBay. Does anyone know if this vine will grow ok in Oklahoma?

Comments (4)

• wbonesteel
    9 years ago

I think that most of us are leery of creepers and vines, in general. They tend to tear things up that you want to keep around - things like fences, sheds, garages and the siding on your house.

If you like such vines, be careful where you plant them, or in a few years you'll pay for the repairs.

• Lisa_H OK
    9 years ago

I had to look it up, I had never heard of it. It appears to be an annual. I was picturing a perennial vine.

Hey, can it be worse than morning glories or bind weed? I doubt it :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Canary Creeper

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Nopeeking, I haven't grown it here, but I grew it in Texas about 80 miles south of where I now live in southern OK. I grew it about 20 years ago in a very hot, dry summer and it was only okay as far as performance goes. I thought it would thrive in the heat, but it didn't, although it did well until we got really hot. Probably it would have been happier in a wetter year, or with more irrigation than I gave it, or in better soil (I had black gumbo clay). The flowers were really pretty but their color seemed to wash out in strong sunlight and heat. That's not unusual in extreme heat though.

I'm surprised you had to go to E-bay to find seeds. I still see it on some seed racks here, especially early in spring.

I love vines and have them everywhere, but aggressive perennial vines do require aggressive maintenance to keep them under control. In the 4 fenced veggie garden plots I grow mostly annual vines (and a handful of perennial ones) on all my 8' tall anti-deer fences, . The annual vines get tall pretty quickly and serve as both a windbreak and a shade screen for plants inside the garden by the time the summer heat really cranks up in late June or early July. In our heat, and with our southernly summer winds, the vines are a big help.

Lisa, If there is anything worse than bind weed, I cannot imagine it. I was pulling up lots of little bindweed seedlings yesterday on the north end of my garden.

I like morning glories, but they can be invasive as well. I have a new favorite one---Chocolate Rose Silk. It has variegated foliage, so that when it reseeds, I can tell its seedlings from the common morning glories whose seeds infest my soil. If I pull out all the non-variegated seedlings growing at the base of that part of the fence, I end up with only the chocolate silk ones.

I still find Heavenly Blue morning glories growing en masse on a garden fence completely enchanting. They stop traffic and draw more comments than anything else I've ever grown except perhaps purple hyacinth bean vine. I do hate having to yank out 400 million morning glory seedlings every year.

I hope you have success with canary creeper here and let us know how it does here for you.

Dawn

• nopeeking
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for replying, Dawn. I will try the Canary Bird vine anyway, but will plant it where it's shaded behind a 6 ft fence, and hopefully it will grow enough to get up to the top. I'm hoping that it's shaded roots will keep it thriving through our hot and windy summers.

I moved here from Canada just a few years ago, and I'm still getting used to the weather, and nasty bugs and weeds I've never had to deal with before!

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler