Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsfrodo

When to harvest salsify

mrsfrodo
14 years ago

I planted salsify last fall as an "let's just see what it is like" experiment. The leaves are still green. Most of the other things in that bed have been harvested. I just realized- I have no idea how to tell when to harvest salsify! Can any one tell me?

Thanks,

Andria

Comments (3)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

Andria,

If you planted in September, it definitely should be ready now. You can harvest it, usually, between 120-150 days after you planted it, or any time after the salsify roots reaches 9" to 12". They'll look like of like long ugly carrots. You'll just have to dig one and check its size.

If you need salsify recipes, let me know.

Dawn

• dancinwaters
    14 years ago

Interesting! I've never heard of salsify but when I looking it up it says it tastes similar to artichoke (which I love). Is it nutritious too? Also, what is your recipe Dawn?

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

Dancinwaters,

I assume it is nutritious but can't quote you any nutritional facts about it.

You pretty much prepare salsify the same way you prepare carrots. You wash and scrub it with a veggie brush, peel it with a carrot peeler, and cut it into slices about 1/8" to 1/4" thick. You can cook it by boiling it in lightly salted water for about 10 or 15 minutes and then season it with butter or salt or your favorite herbs. Salsify is said to have a sort of oyster flavor to it, but I haven't found that to be uniformly true. Sometimes the oyster taste is more strongly apparent and other times it isn't.

Here's a couple of recipes and if I find more, I'll come back and add them:

SCALLOPED SALSIFY

14 saltine crackers (or Ritz crackers), crushed
    1 lb. salsify, peeled, sliced and boiled (approx. 2 cups) and well-drained
    1/2 t. salt
    1/4 t. paprika
    1 T. butter or margarine
    3/4 C. whipping cream or half-and-half
    1 C. buttered breadcrumbs

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Spray the bottom and sides of a 1-quart casserole dish with a nonstick cooking spray.

Place the crushed saltine crackers in the bottom of the dish. Layer the cooked, drained salsify on top of the cracker crumbs. Sprinkle salt and paprika evenly over the salsify. Dot the salsify with the butter or margarine. Pour the heavy cream or half-and-half over the salsify and top with the breadcrumbs.

Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Serves 4-6.

SALSIFY BISQUE

1 lb. salsify, peeled, sliced and boiled and well-drained (approx. 2 cups)
    1/4 C. chopped celery
    2 T. chopped onion
    1 t. salt
    1/8 t. red pepper
    3 C. half-and-half
    2 egg yolks, beaten
    chopped fresh parsley for garnish

Combine salsify with the chopped onion and celery and process in a food processor or blender until pureed.

Place the salsify/celery/onion mixture in the top of a double boiler. Add salt, pepper and half-and-half and stir well to combine. Place top of double boiler over the bottom water-filled lower portion of double boiler and bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 6 to 8 minutes, or until mixture is thoroughly heated. Remove top of double boiler from the heat and set on an unheated portion of the stovetop. Slowly and gradually, pour about 1/4 of the mixture into a heat-proof bowl containing the beaten egg yolks. Mix well and then stir the egg mixture back into the top portion of the double boiler and stir well. Place top pan back onto the bottom part of the double boiler and cook over gently simmering, but not boiling, water. Cook, stirring regularly, until soup thickens. Once thickened, remove from heat, pour into bowls and garnish with finely chopped parsley.

You also can pickle salsify, but I don't know if the very old recipe I have is still considered 'safe' since so many old recipes no longer are approved by the NHCFP, so won't post it here.

Dawn