Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bare Root Roses

Posted by momfryhover (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 26, 11 at 14:55

I want to plant some climbing roses around my house and have been watching for those bare rooted ones wrapped in plastic on displays at stores. Usually everyone has them but I only saw one small display at Home Depot and not the climbers I want. Has anyone seen any in the S.Okc, Moore, norman area?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bare Root Roses

Momfryhover,

I think it may be too late for you to find any fresh, healthy bare-root roses this spring.

Down here in southern Oklahoma, the bare root roses are in the stores in January and February. By March they're all gone---and for a good reason---they need to be planted in winter to give them time to make enough good root growth to sustain them through our hot summers. Bare-rooted plants usually are planted during the dormant season, and the dormant season is long gone.

By late Feb. and early March here, the containerized roses are arriving to replace the bare-root ones. I'd be somewhat leery of any bare-root ones still in the stores this late in the year because they've likely been held in their packaging too long. At this point I wouldn't buy them unless they are showing some sign of leafing out...like tiny leaves coming out on the branches, for example.

Dawn

o
RE: Bare Root Roses

Momfryhover,
considering you are asking about S. OKC, Moore and Norman, I am assuming you're in Zone 7. I agree wholeheartedly with Dawn. It is way too late for bare root roses in your area. You should be able to find container climbing roses at Lowe's, Home Depot, Wal Mart or any number of reputable nurseries in the OKC area. Marcum's at exit 104 off I-35 usually has nice roses. You should be seeing old tried and true roses such as Don Juan (red); Joseph's Coat (red, yellow, orange blend); climbing Queen Elizabeth (pink) (not a real big bloomer, sometimes); Golden Showers (yellow); climbing Iceberg (white), etc. You know, of course, that there is no such thing as a "climbing" rose. They have nothing to "climb" with, such as tendrils or sucker roots. They are just very tall, pillar type roses that have to be tied and trained to whatever structure you are planning on covering. Good luck on finding just what you want. Roses are my favorite flower.

Jeanie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here