Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momofsteelex3

What is this?

momofsteelex3
10 years ago

My mother in law had my kids plant seeds. It was great, until she told me she didn't label them and had no clue what is what. So does anyone want to help me play what is this plant? :) I *think* its carrots?

TIA!
Bre

Comments (24)

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

Those are the first leaves, cotyledon leaves. Wait until they give you the true leaves..it will be easier to id them.

I'm a fan of mystery gardening :) I'm horrible at marking my plants!

• ScottOkieman
    10 years ago

Nope, not carrots. I can say that with some amount of confidence.

Lisa is right, we need to wait until the true leaves emerge. If I were going to make a quick guess at this stage I would say they are peppers. But that is nothing but a guess. We need the true leaves.

• Cynthiann
    10 years ago

I also vote for peppers. :)

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

I was gonna vote peppers/jalepenos, too - that's very much like what mine looked like! I think carrots would have a more fern-y type foliage, but have never grown them.

• momofsteelex3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great..just what I wanted..15 pepper plants! Not. SO...I guess I am going to have to plant them for the true leaves huh? And what the heck do I do with them all? I'd sure hate to see them all go to waste.

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

It shouldn't take too long before the true leaves appear, they will be the next set. You can leave them in their containers for now. It may not be peppers :) Snap a pic when the next set of leaves appear, you can get a more definite id.

You can share the seedlings :) It would not fret about it yet. I always lost a number of seedlings in the hardening off process, so you may not end up with 15 of anything. :)

Lisa

• shankins123
    10 years ago

I have "little peppers at home" just that size right now!
    (Anyone get the literary reference??)

Yes...share some, keep some :)

Sharon

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

Read the book when I was ten. All I remember about it is that wonderful title.

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

Bre, if they get their true leaves and it turns out that they are peppers, take heart that peppers can be one of the more picky things to start from seed -- they need to be kept pretty warm and always seem to take longer than tomatoes to sprout. So, if they are peppers - good job!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

They do look more like peppers than anything else at this point....but without real leaves, we could be wrong about that.

What I remember is the book "The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew", which I think was the first book in the series, and their Mother was called Mamsie and one of the 5 little Peppers was Phronsie. They were poor but they knew how to make do with that they had., Later on someone who had money took them in (though for the life of me I cannot remember who or why),. The Peppers remained sweet and kind because (a) Mamsie taught them right, and (b) they knew that they were living a better lifestyle because someone was kind to them and they didn't let it go to their heads because they knew they were poor working class and always would be.

Bre, It is a long, long road from tiny sprout to a nice-sized plant ready to put into the ground and much can go wrong between now and then. I'd keep them all growing and going until you finally can plant the best ones. Even then, I usually hold extra peppers in plastic cops or pots for about a month after I finish transplanting the chosen plants into the ground. In Oklahoma, you never know when the pepper plants you put into the ground will be eaten by a deer or rabbit, hailed to smithereens, flooded, baked in the OK E-Z Bake Summertime Oven or carried off by a tornado. It always is good to have a handful of backup plants for a while.

Nothing is worse than giving away every last extra plant and then having a storm demolish all the ones you put into the ground.

I make a lot of canned salsa and use lots of peppers in those batches, and also can a lot of peppers and freeze a bunch of them too. In an average year, I grow 30-45 pepper plants (more hot than sweet) in the ground, not counting the ornamental ones, and we have so many friends who constantly beg for peppers that I never feel like I planted enough.

Dawn

• momofsteelex3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! They have been this way for several weeks now. Should I be concerned? Do I need to water them? She said that this was some kind of magical seed starter that didn't need watered? But I know nothing, bc I have never started seeds before. All I know is there were suppose to be beets in there(which I have already pulled and transplanted), carrots, peppers, both sweet and hot(I think), green onions, zucchini, and squash. All that is left in there now is what I have shown you and some taller whispy-baby grass looking things. And that they were planted March 16th. Oh, and that its growing mold in some places.

Mia- They are actually my kiddo's plants, so I guess they are the ones with the green thumbs!

Dawn- I will just hold them for a while then. I definitely don't think I have room for more then 5 plants and that would be pushing it. But now that you have mentioned fresh salsa, I am drooling! Do you can just your plain peppers like pickled peppers? I still want to see a picture of your garden!

But I will say if a deer or rabbit get past the sunflowers and marigolds and into the fence around that silly garden of mine, then I guess I lose all hope! :) And my husband swears tornado's don't like water and won't come by the lake. I will take the lack of storm shelters out here, as he isn't the only who thinks that way. Seeing as how I am from great flat Kansas, we will see what I think about everyone's tornado theory after the year is up. Now, flooding, baking and being beaten to smithereens by hail. I believe it!

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

I wouldn't buy the tornado and water theory. The one that hit my neighborhood came right over Lake Hefner. :)

• momofsteelex3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh wow Lisa! When was that? How scary!

I am ok with tornadoes, realize its just part of living in this area. But the lack of a storm shelter and 3 children, ages 7 and under sure makes me nervous! Plus my grandma always used her storm shelter to store her cannings, and other veggies!

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

They look like peppers to me also, and the fact that they haven't grown almost confirms it. All plants need water, so even if the potting soil has moisture holding capability they will still need water. The wispy grass looking things are probably the onions if they planted from seed.

I live at Grand Lake and we had a very destructive storm last year. The NWS never declared it a tornado, but the neighbors that watched it come in say that it was. It took a roof off and destroyed dozens of huge trees. Water spout, straight line winds, tornado, call them what you wish but they can blow you away. We see a lot of boat docks destroyed here from winds and tornadoes, so take that advice with a grain of salt. I am sure that my lake neighbors don't believe that because they gather at our house so they can have quick access to a storm shelter. Never fail to have a weather radio, and to carefully watch your TV weatherman when storms are in the area.

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

Oh my, it has been a long time ago now. In the late 90's, early 2000's. It skimmed the tops of the trees and yanked open my back screen/glass door, but that was the worst of the damage right around me. It was scary enough that me and several of my friends took cover in a tiny closet!

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

Oh, google is so helpful! This looks like the one:

Here is a link that might be useful: June 13, 1998

• momofsteelex3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

soonergrandmom- Thanks for the info. I will take it then that I need to get off my hind parts and go water them and put them out to breath.

Between you and Lisa, I am a bit more worried about tornadoes now then I was! I have noticed that I don't count on the Tulsa news channels as much as I do this app I have on my phone. It seems so laid back here when it comes to weather. Like a few weeks ago, the night before Easter, our county was in a tornado warning, my phone told me before the Tulsa new channels told me. It all seems backwards for me to be in a tornado prone state and for them to be very nonchalant about it.

• momofsteelex3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lisa- back in May-ish of say late 90's early 2000's one came up into Wichita from your neck of the woods and hit a small town on the suburbs called Haysville and a whole trailer park in south Wichita. I wonder why I didn't think of it until now, but that trailer park sat on a pond(they call it a lake). There is nothing there now but maybe 20 trailers of those who chose to to stay or move in.

I'm glad your damage wasn't worse.

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

I saw this on FB today...made me laugh!

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

There have certainly been much worse tornadoes around here (May 3rd tornadoes and others). I have to say though, we are rarely surprised by them. The wall to wall coverage, while extremely annoying at times, does give very adequate warning.

I have always been happy that at least ours normally hit right around early evening. Other states seem to get them overnight. THAT would be super scary.

• momofsteelex3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lisa- that made me laugh! Ya, you know, you would think the weather wouldn't be so different with only 3 hours drive time between my old home and my new one here, but weather here is CRAZY! 85 one day, 38 the next.

Well the OKC area gets a lot more tornado activity compared to this side of the state, doesn't it? At least that was always my thinking from what I have heard/seen. Maybe its bc in Wichita we normally got your storms.

I would rather have wall to wall coverage and be annoyed then play the game we played a few weeks ago. My phone issues the warning, says its X miles from X town(I can't remember now) and obviously not being from here, I am like where is that? Tune in the TV and it took my 5 minutes to find someone on the 4 channels talking about it!

Overnight and late evening ones aren't fun. I think your area pushed up the one Wichita got last April.

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

I am not from here either, so I still have trouble placing towns and counties in my head. But every spring gives me a chance to increase my knowledge! I have often wished I had an Oklahoma map with counties on it put up somewhere in my house.

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

We have a Haitian student here going to school. Imagine being from an island where "cold" temps were 70 degrees. No hot and cold systems colliding over the top of your head :) He has been here 3 years and is learning the value of the daily weather report!

• momofsteelex3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lisa- I wish I had one of those maps too! I have actually been pulling one up on the internet trying to get myself familiar with the counties around me. I could not imagine being from somewhere else and coming here! I just saw where the OKC area is expected to get bad storms tonight and overnight! Stay safe out there!

Sponsored
WellCraft Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars61 Reviews
Virginia’s Full Service Design-Build Remodeling Company