Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickencoupe1

Milweed Seedling ID

chickencoupe
10 years ago

I received milkweed seed (from more than one source because I forgot about the first. Lisa, this is not from yours though I'm strat-ing those now.) Anyways, clearly this is two different plants, right? I'm serious when I say the seeds look JUST alike. So, now I don't know which is the milkweed. And what's the other one? LOL

The one on the left is a little more than 3 weeks old. The one on the right is about two weeks old. Now I know why they didn't germinate around the same time.

Comments (9)

• dbarron
    10 years ago

One on the left, looks like a morning glory to me....but I could be quite wrong.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

I think you're right. It does look like a morning glory.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's possible that I gave up on my morning glory seed and used the same starting soil for the milkweed seed which didn't make it. But that's cool! Cuz I wanted some glories, too.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Bon, if you haven't grown MGs before, they grow really fast so your seedling needs to be transplanted into the ground as soon as possible once your last frost date has passed.

Also, they self-seed vigorously so choose its location carefully because it will drop seeds there throughout the growing season and next year you'll have tons of seedlings popping up.

Dawn

• TexasRanger10
    10 years ago

I have never had milkweed seed around, not a single volunteer ever. The only kinds I've grown are A. tuberosa A. angustifolia & A. asperula. A. asperula is known to be difficult with seed. I got my start from a root I received in a trade & its never put out seed although it blooms each year, I love this plant. A. angustifolia has not put out seed either.

I've never grown it but heard A. speciosa can be quite aggressive especially in moist soil so it depends on the type. The wild vine type is also a problem with seeding.

I had some unknown round seed pods in a cabinet I planted. The plants look exactly like the first picture so that one was finally I.D.ed. I am tossing the plants now that I know its morning glory. Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2013/03/13/persnickety-texas-milkweeds-may-not-lend-themselves-to-mass-seed-production/

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dawn -

Thanks for the heads up on the frost dates. You made me look. Should be this week up until the 20th. Before I had surgery the drought took a hiatus and the native bind weed took over. I walked the fence lines while viewing the horror of hundreds of thousands of bindweed seed. I had no ability to do anything about them until now when it's too late. I figure a few morning glories won't hurt. I'll be pulling their cousins for the next three decades. lol

I have a monster planter that sits chest-high built from an old pen-ruling machine from our old bindery. I put that spinach and lettuce in it. It was three baby bunnies eating them, btw. It wasn't mice, but close! It looks horrible with it's canopy-like posts. It needs a vine or two or three or four. MG will be helpful.

Texas -

I'm not sure which variety this is. I'll be certain to take a picture and take note. This one is from a northern state. I let some of the seeds rot and now I feel bad. I guess we just never know how important those seeds are. The ones I have stratifying are from Lisa's garden in OKC. Thanks for posting your experience. I'll be cautious to take notes and capture seed as often as possible and offering to others what I don't use.

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

My seeds are from a. Tuberosa, I am pretty sure. Nothing fancy. I haven't ever noticed any seedlings either...but they should grow just fine.

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

My seeds are from a. Tuberosa, I am pretty sure. Nothing fancy. I haven't ever noticed any seedlings either...but they should grow just fine.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm glad this happened. I just learned bunches.