Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mksmth_zone_6b

Home Depot Spring black friday sale

Just a reminder that from Today to 4-13-14 HD is having pretty good sales. Particularly Seed packs are Buy one Get one free and 5" vegetables are 5 for $10

Just FYI.

Mike

Comments (18)

• wbonesteel
    10 years ago

Well, I already blew my disposable income on bare root blackberries, raspberries and blueberries...and Jersey Knight asparagus and everbearing strawberries, plus sulfur, blood meal and ant killer.

Mebbe next year...

• redclay4evr
    10 years ago

Why spend that kind of money at a big box store when you can buy locally grown? For example, $19.99 for a flat of 18 mixed vegetables well over 5" from my Local nursery comes out to $1.11 per plant versus $2.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was just sharing info. Sorry if I offended.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Mike, I appreciated that you shared the Black Friday news with us. I knew that they were gearing up for their Black Friday sale because I heard employees at our HD talking about it last week when we were there buying some fencing supplies. I haven't made it down to HD yet because we don't have one close to us (because we have nothing much close), but likely will stop by there later today when we make the weekly trip to town to buy groceries and supplies. If you hadn't mentioned it , I would have forgotten about the sale.

Redclay4evr, It is great that you have a local nursery near you that grows their own plants and that has great prices. Not all of us have local nurseries like that. If I want locally grown plants, I have to grow them myself because we don't have a local nursery. For me, the two big box stores 15 miles to our south are the closest stores, period. I have to drive twice as far to go to a local nursery (it is local for the folks who live there near it , but not really close enough that I consider it local).

My favorite independent nursery that grows its own plants and has great prices is about 80 miles from my house so I don't get to visit it too often for obvious reasons. I'd shop there all the time if it was 70 miles closer to our house.

We do have a couple of feed stores in our county but they only carry a few veggie and flower transplants at planting time in late winter and early spring, and when I have looked there for plants they have the same Bonnie Plant transplants that the big box stores have.

I like shopping locally when it is possible, but it isn't always possible and I shop at big box stores a lot because they are conveniently located. Different strokes for different folks.

Dawn

• redclay4evr
    10 years ago

Not offended just thrifty! Beware the big box store, I have learned in the past that just because they say sale doesn't always mean your saving money. They didn't get big by being honest. I can understand HD or Lowes being closer to your location and that being your "local". What I do not like is that they are cutting into local nurseries sales and have put many a small nursery out of business. I am not offended just merely suggesting that you check out your locally owned business first.

• winstonsblues
    10 years ago

I have checked out the websites of local nurseries to find out what I could about veggies, and if their websites are any indication they don't sell them. This could just be an oversight on their part, but I am really not interested in spending the time or gas money on that. I will go to a store that has made it very clear that they have what I want.

• scottokla
    10 years ago

I take offense to the statement that they didn't get big by being honest. This contradicts almost all of my personal experiences in this great country. Not trying to start anything, just can't let that comment pass.

Still, I buy at my local nursery when possible. Love talking to the owner when I stop in.

I do appreciate the notice about Home Depot. They have an item at the best price I have seen in years and I need a lot of it at the moment. Thanks Mike.

• redclay4evr
    10 years ago

Oh jeez, starting to regret posting on this thread. My one little statement contradicts almost all of your personal experiences and the other guy goes by websites of nurseries that have been doing business in Oklahoma before the internet was even invented.

I clearly pointed out that my local nursery had flats of 18 plants for $19.99 which comes out to $1.11 per plant versus $2 per plant "on sale". I was just letting people know that it was not the best deal just because HD says its a sale, that's not being honest, honestly.

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

I have no disposable income. So THERE! Neener Neener It's all too expensuv for meee!!

:P

• seeker1122
    10 years ago

Where's the nursery sounds like a good deal
    I might live close enough to go there.
    Tree

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

I purchased nearly all my plants this year. They ranged from $.25 to as much as $.75 each. They were small plants,(4 packs) which is what I wanted. They came from a local nursery and the big box stores, but I feel that the plants I start are of better quality. But If I want to be fair about the plants, if the other guys put the labor in theirs as I do mine they could not sell them as cheaply as they do.

• wulfletons
    10 years ago

Since this has kind of turned it to a general discussion about plant buying (and Mike, I did buy a couple of plants at home depot last weekend--thanks), for those of you in the metro area: I've had great luck with Sunrise Acres plants. They have a great variety (quite a few heirlooms) and last year they were 85 cents. They are small and they have always been very healthy. They sell at their nursery and at the OSU OKC farmer's market. As a bonus, they are some of the nicest people you will ever meet.

• redclay4evr
    10 years ago

My local nursery is TLC on Santa Fe and Memorial. Flats of 18 are $19.99. I start all of my tomatoes and some peppers but I purchase all of my eggplant and the majority of my peppers. I love Sunrise Acres, Bobs plants are 100% organic and have always performed. TLC is selling Sunrise Acres organic plants this year so I have already picked up a few peppers.

• wbonesteel
    10 years ago

Didn't offend me! For some reason, I'm always behind the curve when sales come up...

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

RedClay....ahhhh, TLC...oh, I love that place..even when it sucks all my cash out of my wallet :) I need to run by there and look at a few things.

Mike...thanks for the heads up. I will check them out. I just saw an ad about the "black friday" sale. I've been gathering veggie seeds for a friend of mine in Philippines...I'll take half off whenever I can :)

• winstonsblues
    10 years ago

I literally cannot drive store to store just to check availability, so if it isn't on a website or advertised somehow, including word of mouth, where I can see it, the ones who do will get my business, regardless of how "big" they are. BTW, he just said they were having pretty good sales. Half off is a good sale---no one said it was the cheapest or best place to go. Great info if you are like me and have very limited places to shop.

• scottokla
    10 years ago

We lost a place (Conrads) here south of Tulsa to buy plants, but Carmichaels in Bixby still has great selections even if they are a lot more expensive than they were 5 yrs ago. They were .59 or .69 per 3-pack when I started buying them but are now about 1.39 give or take a dime. For a flat they are a much better deal.

Atwoods has a pretty good selection of the common ones and they are really cheap, but many appear to have been treated with something that slows growth. If you got them, don't give up on them yet, because it may take another week or two before they take off.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Scott. It was sad to see Conrad's go. I lived behind them in the mobile park when I was a kid. Still live in bixby and drive by there many times. I talked to some of the family and they said it just wasn't feasible anymore. I hate to see all their fields starting to fill up with houses.
    Mike