Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slowpoke_gardener

Adding to garden

slowpoke_gardener
11 years ago

We have talked about adding to our garden, building raised beds, and drainage for the past few weeks. I added about 100 sq. ft. to my south garden today and thought I would bore you with a couple of pictures.

I first tilled the area, then dug a ditch around the edge for drainage, using the extra soil to raise the surface of my bed. I filled the ditch with mulch and tilled again to sorta level the soil. Next I added compost and tilled it in, and then raked it smooth. I will place the crass catcher on the small mower to pick up the stray mulch to make it look a little cleaner. when the weather improves I will be ready to plant.

I wish the north garden would go that smooth, maybe it will if it ever dries.

Larry
{{gwi:302949}}

{{gwi:302950}}

Comments (5)

• joellenh
    11 years ago

Very cool! I always love seeing what you are up to.

Jo

• slowpoke_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, jo, this is how I have to keep up with what I do, if I write notes I lose them. I now go by the date on the picture.
    Photobucket is my secretary.

I guess you noticed the bamboo in the second picture, I also have some maize from Africa sprouting in the bathroom, and will soon will have Seminole squash. I told my son(who lives across the hwy) that I was going to build a jungle and have elephants and monkeys. He quickly told me the elephants were ok, but he was shooting the monkeys.

Larry

• oldbusy1
    11 years ago

what's up with the mailbox? you spend way too much time in the garden if you're getting your mail delivered there.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Robert, Lol. I wonder if Larry keeps hand tools in the mail box in the garden?

Larry, I know soil that is too wet can be just as frustrating as soil that is too dry. Your soil seems to go from too wet to too dry to too wet again regularly. With more rain in the forecast this week, I am about to head out to the garden in just a few minutes to work my way down a long To Do list ahead of the rain. I am always and forever adding to our garden beds too, but usually my garden has the opposite problem from yours and stays too dry.

After being far too dry for far too long the last few years, I am not about to complain about the rain but it sure can make it hard to get all the planting done.

We have one big area in the gravel driveway near the house where rain puddles and ponds. After a 1-2" rainfall that big puddle can just sit there for a week or two. About the time it dries up, it rains again. Yesterday that puddle was down very low and I bet when I go outside this morning, it will be gone. With rain forecast for the next few days, the puddle soon will be back. At least the pond-sized puddle is in the driveway and not in the garden.

Dawn

• slowpoke_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Robert, that mail box is for "Snail Mail", they cant reach much higher than that. And when the snails are not using it I use it for storage and to place my fence charger in. I have a mail box at both gardens.

Dawn, I have very little topsoil and it sits on top of very dense hardpan. When it rains there is no place for the water to go. When it stops raining the sun and wind can dry the soil quickly. As soon as the weather stabilizes I try to toss mulch on to slow the drying process and add my irrigation tubes. Another problem I have is that my soil packs very badly, organic matter is a must for me.

Larry

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022