Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dchezbot

Cheap Organic Matter/ New Bed Preparation

dchezbot
10 years ago

Hi all I just got introduced to this forum a few days ago and have been really enjoying reading through past posts! I apologize for my second question in two days. I'm quite the newbie and just trying to do more good than harm.

I am wanting to prepare my flower beds for some miniature roses that I purchased a few days ago and have been storing in my utility room by the window. I had my soil tested and the Potassium and Phosphorus are good but the Nitrogen is only 7lbs/acre and is supposed to be at 60! The county extension office suggested getting Ammonium Sulfate. I am going to dig down pretty deep into the beds and mix in a good amount of organic matter.

1) Should I mix in the Ammonium Sulfate at the same time or just spread it on top after words?

2) I live in Bethany in the OKC metro any suggestions on a good place to buy some organic matter to mix in (Confession: I'm not actually a hundred percent sure what that term really means. I just keep reading it.)
3) What ratio of organic matter to soil do you like to use when preparing a new bed. (The ones I have been planting in have been pretty much ignored and just let to overgrow for ten years. I had to pretty much rip out everything in them in the fall to get rid of pests)

Comments (3)

• dchezbot
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry one more follow up questions.

4) Once I mix everything in can I plant right away or do I need to let things settle for a bit first?

Thanks so much in advance!

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

If you don't want a soil obsession....DON'T check out the soil forum...lol

You can buy organic matter/compost to help your soil. I am a fan of Back to Earth or composted cotton burrs. Check around for the best price. Lowes/HD may have it, also check with the nursery on Reno. I can't think of the name, but I bet someone on here will know! You can also buy compost.

I would recommend starting your own compost pile. It is all sorts of fun!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Organic matter is merely any sort of matter that was one alive and it comes in many forms, including but not limited to the following: pine bark fines, soil conditioner (usually a blend of humus and pine bark fines), peat moss, compost, composted manure (cow, chicken, horse, etc.), mushroom compost (this is the growing material mushrooms were grown in commercially), composted cotton burrs, etc. We use these kinds of materials to amend our soils to improve them. The 2 main improvements we gardeners are seeking is not just an improvement in the soil's fertility but also in both its ability to hold moisture and its ability to drain well so roots don't waterlog and rot.

How much you need to add depends on what sort of tilth your soil has to begin with.

The best starting point when you want to figure out how much organic matter to add is to do the soil jar test I'm going to link below. It is easy to do and the article tells you what you can learn from it. Once you've done the test, you'll know what your soil is...how much is clay, how much of it is sand, how much of it is organic matter, etc. Usually when I am adding organic matter to virgin red clay that never has been amended before, I try to add several inches of organic matter because the clay is so dense. Depending on what you're starting with, you may not have to add much.

You should add your nitrogen fertilizer at the same time you add all the amendments and work it into the soil well.

As far as when to plant, it is hard to say without seeing your soil. If it has been really, really, really fluffed up by the process of working all the organic matter into the soil, I'd let it settle. What I usually do is water it well with a hand-held hose or sprinkler because the water will pack the soil down a little. Then I wait a couple of days and plant. There's nothing worse than planting into fluffed-up soil the same day and then having a big rain storm come with pounding rain....and the next time you look at your bed, the soil has settled down 3 or 4" and the plants are sticking up out of it like bumps on a log. If you plant the same day, pack the soil down firmly with a tool or your hands or whatever and water and watch to make sure the soil doesn't settle down more than the plants do. You don't want to pack the soil down so it is rock hard--that defeats the purpose of amending it to improve its tilth, but you do want it somewhat settled.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Jar Soil Test for Texture